It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheists have no answers

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2017 @ 08:56 AM
link   
a reply to: randyvs

I dont need an answer Im happy just living here and not caring about my origin that much I have to invent something to satisfy my curiosity because Im not smart enough to figure it out for myself

ya know its nice to just trust my own instincts and not have to rely on someone else to get me by

the closest Ive come to a religious experience was a vision of kali ma

but even then I was under the influence

posted on May, 9 2017 @ 09:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: RP2SticksOfDynamite

originally posted by: Liquesence

originally posted by: randyvs
a reply to: luthier

No the issue is with atheism period.

Why do you have an issue with atheism?

How does atheism affect you?
In denial is why!

For the second time: what are you talking about?

posted on May, 9 2017 @ 09:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: SanitySearcher

To be an atheist means you have to believe...

Let me stop you there - I'm guessing you're new to this? To be an atheist simply means a lack of belief in the notion of gods (plural, meaning all of them). It requires no beliefs whatsoever. Perhaps you were referring to the majority of humans that accept the fact of biological evolution (including most religious folk).

...that everything we see and are started with a single cell that magically appeared after the earth cooled...

Who on earth believes that? The cell probably appeared after millions of years of random chemical reactions. Try reading here abiogenesis

...after heating up, after countless dust particles from nowhere came together in a ball to spinning around while orbiting a sun (no can explain how and why it exists nor how particles with enough mass can orbit anything because as it's forming orbit distances would change...)! ...and all this from an explosion of nothing, by nothing, from nothing.

This may help formation of the solar system

Sorry guys, that requires more faith that an intelligent supernatural (key word there) being from another area of time and space which you can't explain in human terms lest you expect an ANT to describe or even understand the concept of human air travel, guided by computers, within flying steel tubes - let alone understand what a human is.

It doesn't require faith, just for someone to read more than one book (that wasn't meant as a textbook to begin with).

edit on 9-5-2017 by MarsIsRed because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2017 @ 09:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: SanitySearcher

To be an atheist means you have to believe that everything we see and are started with a single cell that magically appeared after the earth cooled, after heating up, after countless dust particles from nowhere came together in a ball to spinning around while orbiting a sun (no can explain how and why it exists nor how particles with enough mass can orbit anything because as it's forming orbit distances would change...)! ...and all this from an explosion of nothing, by nothing, from nothing.

hhmmmm.... how can i point this out without this sounding like an attack. The Atheist position is simply that we want proof of the claim that god's exist. And I do mean gods plural, because Christians aren't the only ones who are claiming that their God exists. The term atheist, which I guess does describe me, is not a label that I would've put on myself. It is a term that describes people who are not theists. It does not describe any other position than that. It does not say what a person does believe, only what a person doesn't believe and only about one thing, the existence of gods. The sooner you understand that, the closer we will be, to being able to have a conversation.

you are only doing yourself a disservice by explaining the scientific position as such a caricature. Magic is the realm of the theist, your position is "i know it because i believe it strongly." Youridea is that god magically spoke everything into existence from nothing. And where did god come from?

Science's position is "i believe it because i can show it to be true with repeatable results that you and i can both see". This methodology has been extremely successful at proving it's worth and the only reason you find fault in it is that it requires proof that Your claims are true. You are happy to accept all of the perks that science offers, but when it scrutinizes your strong belief without reason, We should just take your word for it, but you don't even agree with what the other christians, muslims, jews, say we should believe. So i will wait for proof of these claims, and in the meantime, i will not live and make decisions based on stories with talking animals, a guy conjuring food from nothing, thousands of dead people climbing out of their graves and walking around, devils and demons, and healing the sick with actual magic.

Sorry guys, that requires more faith that an intelligent supernatural (key word there) being from another area of time and space which you can't explain in human terms lest you expect an ANT to describe or even understand the concept of human air travel, guided by computers, within flying steel tubes - let alone understand what a human is.
huh? Science requires more faith than believing in things with no evidence to back it up? Hhhmmm... is this opposite day?
edit on 9-5-2017 by Woodcarver because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-5-2017 by Woodcarver because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2017 @ 09:36 AM
link   
a reply to: SanitySearcher

LMAO!
What a load of bull#, you don't have to believe any scientific theory to lack belief in gods.
Such a lame attempt to attach alternative belief to atheists.
I don't believe in pixies either, got some scientific theory I'm supposed to believe as a substitute for that as well?

posted on May, 9 2017 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Atheists are just people and are fallible like anyone else. Most Atheists became such because of either of two reasons: (1) There are too many holes in the religious texts and no absolute proof of anything pertaining to deism and do not buy into the concept of faith except as it pertains to scientific facts and theory- which if you think about it shows that they actually DO have faith in something and are by default participating in a kind of religious-like philosophy. This group will ask questions but are honestly curious why you believe as you do and are usually respectful in the debate. (2) At one time they actually WERE religious but got treated very badly by so-called religious people and decided that since these "religious" people were a sham then the whole religion must be a sham so I refuse to participate in any of it. These are the Atheists that seem the most angry and ask the most questions (usually in the most sarcastic manner possible) and ridicule religion the most. It is not that they don't believe- they do- they were just so hurt by their experience that they hate religion, and by proxy all deities. There is actually a 3rd subset- those whose lifestyles are condemned by various religions and so they deny the existence of deity because it clashes with their behavior, but that is another subject altogether.

I am religious and also the mother of an Atheist. My offspring started as a member of the second group but over the years has become an amalgam of all three groups depending on whom she is debating with. A complex being indeed but one who is still compassionate, humane and kind. I love and support her no matter our different beliefs because it is her actions that define her, not her religious beliefs.

posted on May, 9 2017 @ 10:51 AM
link   
a reply to: GeauxHomeYoureDrunk

It is not that they don't believe- they do- they were just so hurt by their experience that they hate religion, and by proxy all deities.

Nope. And you have a lot of nerve making that declaration.

There is actually a 3rd subset- those whose lifestyles are condemned by various religions and so they deny the existence of deity because it clashes with their behavior, but that is another subject altogether.

Abrahamic Religious "laws" (Judaism, Christianity, Islam) around behavior are archaic and ridiculous, and impossible to live up to. The only people who succumb to religious "laws" are those who have been browbeaten into submission, either physically or emotionally. The sole "light" of any of those barbaric ideologies is Ba'hai. And they get murdered for accepting all comers.

I am religious and also the mother of an Atheist. My offspring started as a member of the second group but over the years has become an amalgam of all three groups depending on whom she is debating with. A complex being indeed but one who is still compassionate, humane and kind. I love and support her no matter our different beliefs because it is her actions that define her, not her religious beliefs.

So, you're saying then, that she was hurt and rejected the nonsense that you held so dear. But she's still capable of compassion, humanitarianism, and kindness. Her actions negate the need for her to 'sign on' to any particular religion. She sounds like my kind of person.

How is it that you think you know so much about the people who simply cannot "believe" the stories? How do you MAKE YOURSELF believe? How can a person who doesn't believe force themselves to believe?

"Faith" is a silly answer. I had "faith" that my contractor would come and finish the job. He didn't. End of faith.

I shared with someone else I was going to hire that he (the contractor) hadn't finished the job for which he'd already been paid. The contractor then
alled and chewed me out and yelled at me "talking # about him." And to "have a nice life.

At that point, "the line went dead." Literally. End of a years-long "friendship."

Oh well. He is disrespectful, didn't finish the job, and persistently showed that same behavior, even after I said something about it.

You have this one book that purports to tell you what your magical man said. You have your choice of 'channelers' (authors), and no physical evidence whatsoever. At least I still have the materials I need to get the job done without that particular contractor.

You have faith that some entity you've never met or seen will save you. He hasn't (and won't). Yet you persist.

That is what abused spouses and children do. Slaves.

Anyway, interesting dialogue, hope you're enjoying it! I needed some high-minded talk.

edit on 5/9/2017 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2017 @ 10:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Woodcarver

I don't feel that I've invented anything. I think truly spiritual people, whatever religion or no religion at all (like me), are relying upon the same being/energy/entity. I believe that there are spiritual laws, just like physical laws, and that when we do our best to attempt to follow them a different aspect of life opens up to us.

posted on May, 9 2017 @ 10:57 AM
link   

That's because you are pitching a strawman here. Atheism isn't a belief system! It doesn't set out to explain things or answer questions. It is merely JUST a position on belief in god.

posted on May, 9 2017 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Interesting to me as I am also the mother of an atheist (19). I am also the mother of a christian (16).
Anyway, to hear them both having a discussion regarding is certainly interesting and they both make good points, IMO. They believe (or not) what they want to believe (or not) and it works for them.
I absolutely love your last sentence and that's why I bolded it and repeated.

posted on May, 9 2017 @ 10:59 AM
link   
a reply to: RP2SticksOfDynamite

You can call me delusional if it seems appropriate to you. In my personal and professional life I have never been called delusional.

Since you answered my questions by attacking me, let me ask you something else and see if you can be intellectually honest about it. Do you believe in Darwin's Theory of Evolution? Do you have any doubts about it? It is a theory, not a law, which means there is evidence tending to prove it, but there's no definitive proof that it is 100% accurate. To me there is evidence tending to prove the existence of a higher power and I trust that evidence. That evidence is personal to me.

posted on May, 9 2017 @ 10:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: GeauxHomeYoureDrunk
It is not that they don't believe- they do- they were just so hurt by their experience that they hate religion, and by proxy all deities.

Lol. Of all the arrogance... Sorry I still don't believe and I am an ex-Catholic.

posted on May, 9 2017 @ 11:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: TobyFlenderson
a reply to: RP2SticksOfDynamite

You can call me delusional if it seems appropriate to you. In my personal and professional life I have never been called delusional.

Since you answered my questions by attacking me, let me ask you something else and see if you can be intellectually honest about it. Do you believe in Darwin's Theory of Evolution? Do you have any doubts about it? It is a theory, not a law, which means there is evidence tending to prove it, but there's no definitive proof that it is 100% accurate. To me there is evidence tending to prove the existence of a higher power and I trust that evidence. That evidence is personal to me.

Define "evidence" because I'm sure that what I consider evidence (quantifiable and repeatable events that develop a conclusion independent of the initial hypothesis) is different than what you consider to be evidence.

posted on May, 9 2017 @ 11:17 AM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Krazy man I know you are a real sharp guy. But you may have trouble with this.

This group will ask questions but are honestly curious why you believe as you do and are usually respectful in the debate.

edit on Ram50917v47201700000029 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2017 @ 11:30 AM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

And like most who seem to identify with the 2nd and 3rd subsets you completely disregard the 1st- who are like neither of the others. And yes, she was extremely religious until very hurt during her teen years by those who "claim" to be religious but were not- they judged her when they had no business doing so and were extremely unkind which scarred her deeply- thus the decision that all religion is a scam. Just to be clear: I never indoctrinated my children into any religion to begin with. I began taking them to different churches when they reached the age when out of curiosity they asked about church and asked to go and see what it was all about themselves

Your judgement of my statements is redundant- it makes no difference to me and makes you appear angry and hurt yourself, though I do not know this as fact you sound extremely mad at anyone or anything religious in nature. There are usually deep seeded reasons for that. You can be an Atheist without being angry which makes me wonder why so much hostility? Somebody tell you you're going to Hell for your beliefs, lifestyle, etc.? If so I feel badly for you, not because you've chosen Atheism but because someone was cruel to you.

Not all religions are the same as I'm sure you must know considering you harbor so much anger. My religion teaches that we are not to judge others and I don't judge you- what and why you do or do not believe is none of my business unless you choose to share them willingly. Not all Atheists are the same, though most would fit into the 3 groups mentioned just as all religious people are not the same though most would fit into one of the major religious groups.

I was not always religious. I was religious my youth, became curious and studied other religions including Pagan practices, decided there was no proof of any of it and embraced Atheism, experienced things that changed my mind and for many, many years have fully embraced the religion of my youth. I don't expect others to share my beliefs as it is a personal journey for each individual and their experience dictates their beliefs. Nobody- and I mean NOBODY- knows for absolute certain whether there is or is not a God, Goddess, Creator, Universal Intelligence, Higher Power, etc. I cannot prove that there is, you cannot prove that there is not. It is something we will not know for sure until death takes us, and even then there is the chance that we still will not know. I do not care if you think that my beliefs make me seem silly to you, just as I'm sure you do not care how your non-belief seems to me. But then, if you really do not care why the animosity?

posted on May, 9 2017 @ 11:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: TNMockingbird
[
Interesting to me as I am also the mother of an atheist (19). I am also the mother of a christian (16).
Anyway, to hear them both having a discussion regarding is certainly interesting and they both make good points, IMO. They believe (or not) what they want to believe (or not) and it works for them.
I absolutely love your last sentence and that's why I bolded it and repeated.

Also one Atheist child (29) and one Christian (27). Both wonderful people and I'm very pleased with how both of them live their lives. The conversations are quite spirited but respectful!

posted on May, 9 2017 @ 11:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

Lol. Of all the arrogance... Sorry I still don't believe and I am an ex-Catholic.

Do you always pick and choose what you recall in a statement? I said that most fall into those groups, just as most religious people fall into one of the major religious groups. MOST is not ALL. "Arrogance" is contagious today apparently.

posted on May, 9 2017 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Do you always pick and choose what you recall in a statement? I said that most fall into those groups, just as most religious people fall into one of the major religious groups. MOST is not ALL. "Arrogance" is contagious today apparently.

Still supremely arrogant to talk about people who don't share your beliefs like you know them. ESPECIALLY without any supporting evidence or documentation to back up your words and claims.
edit on 9-5-2017 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2017 @ 11:45 AM
link   

What are you getting at here with this video? Atheists questioning Christianity doesn't magically make my statement that atheism isn't a belief system less true.

posted on May, 9 2017 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Still supremely arrogant to talk about people who don't share your beliefs like you know them. ESPECIALLY without any supporting evidence or documentation to back up your words and claims.

I just happen to know a heck of a lot of Atheists personally, was raised by an Atheist father and for a time in my life embraced Atheism myself- along with being mother to an Atheist and adopted mother to most of her "disowned by their own so-called religious families" friends.

Keep calling names and making judgements. You're not hurting my feelings, just making me feel sad for you.
edit on 9-5-2017 by GeauxHomeYoureDrunk because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join