It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheists have no answers

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2017 @ 10:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand
a reply to: randyvs

Ah not at all, just claims of gods can't be verified in any way to draw me towards believing them, and we'll both just end up repeating ourselves.
That would make for a boring thread.

Okay it's not like you have to ask to be excused or have any manners,
laws or explanations that make sense.
edit on Ram51017v08201700000028 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2017 @ 10:13 AM
link   
a reply to: RomeByFire

If this isn't the case, then why do so many people continue to murder, maim, and torture in the name of their God(s)?

So I have to be an atheist to be sane? That's rational.

edit on Ram51017v18201700000025 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2017 @ 10:32 AM
link   

What and atheists don't kill anyone
That's an absurd suggestion, atheist based regimes have killed hundreds of millions
Stalin, Pol Pot, Mao
Your argument is ludicrous

posted on May, 10 2017 @ 10:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: NoCorruptionAllowed

originally posted by: Ghost147

originally posted by: randyvs
Because they are always asking the theist for answers. It's as if the atheist
only gets to ask questions. Why is this so? I must assume it's because the
atheist has no answers. And when I think about it, How could they have
any answers to their own questions. They have made a conclusion based
on zero evidence about an ideology that has been around since before
recorded history. Not only that there is a history to it absolutely.
And Richard Dawkins intolerable attitude towards a point of view other
than his own? Just makes him a secularist bigot and nothing more.
Atheists have no answers and even Flew flew the coupe. So when it
comes to questions about mans origins? I can't possibly consider the
atheist.

Could you be more specific as to which questions we're asking? Perhaps I can explain why we ask them.

Also, what answers to which questions are we supposed to have?

Atheism isn't an ideology, so there's no scripture, no common line of thinking or universal agreement on anything philosophical for an atheist, other than a lack of belief in any gods.

I can understand how that can be confusing from the perspective of a religious individual, considering religions all have their own answers. So it's an honest misunderstanding.

But if you're honestly curious, I can see if I can help

It isn't a lack of belief in a God, it is a belief there is no God.. And it utilizes even more faith than people who believe in God since there is more evidence than not that there is a God.

Atheism is actually a disbelief in the Claim that there are gods. It is not an assertion that there are no gods. The claim that there are no gods is implied by the utter improbability of any of the proposed versions of gods actually being possible.

If you have evidence that any god does exist, i challenge you to post it.
edit on 10-5-2017 by Woodcarver because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2017 @ 10:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: Raggedyman

What and atheists don't kill anyone
That's an absurd suggestion, atheist based regimes have killed hundreds of millions
Stalin, Pol Pot, Mao
Your argument is ludicrous
All types of people have killed people. Every time you bring up that atheists have killed people, you seem to forget that all kinds of people have killed people. Perhaps it's time to stop using that to demonize only atheists.

posted on May, 10 2017 @ 11:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: TobyFlenderson
"So, you think that everyone is praying to the same god?"

Who knows? I think that is probably true, but I'm not sure the term "god" is accurate. I think what we think of as a god is a symbol for an entity or energy that is beyond human understanding. Also I misunderstood the art of effective prayer for most of my life. I could expound upon this quite a bit but would be a a hijacking of the thread.

"Then why are there so many different variations of the story?" Again, I don't know, it's not important to me. I think that there are individuals who have transformative spiritual experiences that are interpreted through the lens of their own specific individuality. However, if you look at the stories, there are many, many similarities from religion to religion, or belief system to belief system. Many have stories of the flood, virgin birth, resurrection, etc.. Joseph Campbell and Carl Jung had a lot to say about these similarities. To me the stories are not and never were meant to be exact historical events. They are symbolic stories that reflect deeper meanings that are apparent and yet are incapable of being truly put into words.

"What are these spiritual laws?" The spiritual laws are those teachings that are common to all spiritual traditions. They are universal and taught in all but the most aberrant of belief systems. There are many. The Golden Rule would be the main one. The importance of the Golden Rule is that it teaches us to see other humans as our equal, all others. Regardless of how decadent or debased a human being is, his/her value to the universe is equal to yours or mine. When we see another as our equal, it is impossible to treat them as an object or a means to an end. (I'd note that it is not that the perfect attainment of this ideal that is necessary (which is probably impossible or at least nearly so) it is the humble striving for it that is important). Again there are many, many more and many volumes are written about them.

"... and how do you know them?" The majority of the laws or maybe more accurately, the ideals, I attempt to live by have been learned by reading and rereading spiritual texts from a variety of traditions. I've also had mentors from time to time that have introduced me to others. Lastly, as I attempt to live a spiritual lifestyle by these precepts and continue with daily self-evaluation of my acts, thoughts, and motivations, others are presented to me. In other words, I learn from my experiences.

"How does following these laws benefit you?" I answered this a bit earlier in this thread. However, I would say that I have gone from a selfish, self-serving, insecure, emotionally dysfunctional, and deeply sad individual to an other-centered, higher-powered-conscious, secure, emotionally functional and deeply serene and productive person.

I also want to say that I greatly appreciate your inquisitive and polite posts even though I presume you greatly disagree with me. I don't wish to change your mind about any of your beliefs and wish you the best. Just like to anonymously express my own from time to time. The need to put ideas into words helps solidify one's own beliefs. Thanks.
No problem, i apreciate your well thought out and explained positions. It seems you are very open to the concept of there not being a God with a human personality, or possibly a more fundemental force that all physical laws derive from. Something like a god, but fits somehow with modern scientific discovery?

Does this force listen to you? And communicate somehow? Can you manipulate it to get favors? Or have "things go your way"?

Is this simply a personal thing that only you believe and understand? An amalgam of all of the research you have done? Picking what sounds good to you and discarding what doesn't work for you?
edit on 10-5-2017 by Woodcarver because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2017 @ 11:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand

Ah not at all, just claims of gods can't be verified in any way to draw me towards believing them, and we'll both just end up repeating ourselves.
That would make for a boring thread.

Okay it's not like you have to ask to be excused or have any manners,
laws or explanations that make sense.

Lol, the sun is shining here today and I'm just doing paperwork at home so you've caught me in a good mood.

I'm working like a dog tomorrow so don't worry I'll probably go back to prick mode then

posted on May, 10 2017 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Is there a God or not is the most important question in the universe.

why? ...thats the most important question in the universe. why. with "how" coming in at a close second. but seriously, why is that the most important question? why does it matter?
edit on 10-5-2017 by TzarChasm because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2017 @ 11:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: TzarChasm

why? ...thats the most important question in the universe. why. with "how" coming in at a close second. but seriously, why is that the most important question? why does it matter?

Clarify for me partner? The limitations of text be confusing me.
I think.

You mean why does God exist? Or How does God exist?
edit on Rpm51017v10201700000048 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2017 @ 12:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: TzarChasm

Clarify for me partner? The limitations of text be confusing me.
I think.

what is there to clarify? the question is pretty clear.

"Is there a God or not is the most important question in the universe."

why is that the most important question?
edit on 10-5-2017 by TzarChasm because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2017 @ 12:15 PM
link   
a reply to: TzarChasm

Okay I get it now?

Why is that the most important question?

I would have to say because of love.
The consequences are bond to your choice to
obey God or be an outlaw/anarchist.
edit on Rpm51017v17201700000052 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2017 @ 12:16 PM
link   

I will just leave these here. One of these has an entire thread for it.

Joe rogan and jordan peterson. youtu.be...

This interview starts with gender politics but leads into exactly some points that need to be addressed in these conversations. I hope you watch it to the end and join the conversation here. www.abovetopsecret.com...

This is Alain de Botton. Who looks at the function aspects of religion and gives secular comparisons.

youtu.be...

posted on May, 10 2017 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Okay I get it now?

Why is that the most important question?

I would have to say because of love.

...can you elaborate on that?

posted on May, 10 2017 @ 12:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Woodcarver

I will just leave these here. One of these has an entire thread for it.

Joe rogan and jordan peterson. youtu.be...

This interview starts with gender politics but leads into exactly some points that need to be addressed in these conversations. I hope you watch it to the end and join the conversation here. www.abovetopsecret.com...

This is Alain de Botton. Who looks at the function aspects of religion and gives secular comparisons.

youtu.be...

Consider it done in due time my fellow member.
edit on Rpm51017v20201700000049 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2017 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Sure why not ?

Marrige is sacred first of all.
Second God commands me to love you.
Disagreement on anything even what we believe doesn't
matter. If I do not love you I am as lost as I believe you are.
i've only recently learned this myself so I feel I should apologize
for some of the things I've said to you over the years and i
do apologize.I repent!
edit on Rpm51017v46201700000025 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2017 @ 12:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Woodcarver

I do believe that It listens to me and I believe It communicates with me through the people and activities of my life. I never pray for selfish ends, only for knowledge of Its will for me and the power to carry it out. When I pray for others I use the caveat that if my wishes fit within Its will.

In some ways it is very much personal to me. I believe we each can have an individual relationship with the higher power and those relationships would be different from person to person, just like no two friendships or marriages are exactly alike. However, I think the underlying laws never change (but this is an assumption). There are spiritual tools that I use that I have found work better for me and I don't use ones that I'm not comfortable with. The main tools I use are prayer, meditation, contemplation, self-appraisal and forgiveness for myself first and then for others.

posted on May, 10 2017 @ 12:32 PM
link   

I love you too

your heartbeat
the smell of your blood

posted on May, 10 2017 @ 12:35 PM
link   
a reply to: kibric

your heartbeat the smell of your blood

That's cool because if I am to follow my hero?
I should be ready to shed it for you.

posted on May, 10 2017 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Sure why not ?

Marrige is sacred first of all.
Disagreement on anything even what we believe doesn't
matter. If I do not love you I am as lost as I believe you are.
i've only recently learned this myself so I feel I should apologize
for some of the things I've said to you over the years and i
do apologize.

please dont apologize for anything you dont actually regret. its a faux pas. same goes for loving because you are commanded to. is that really why the question is so important? because you need someone to remind you to be loving? surely there is more.

posted on May, 10 2017 @ 12:50 PM
link   

please dont apologize for anything you dont actually regret. its a faux pas. same goes for loving because you are commanded to. is that really why the question is so important? because you need someone to remind you to be loving? surely there is more.

Sometimes you're to smart for your own BVDs
But I do have regrets and I still apologize.
I most definitely need to be reminded to love on the
level that Jesus showed the world.

new topics

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join