It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheists have no answers

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2017 @ 02:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: randyvs
That's actually true. Atheism is a relatively new idea in the historical lexicon. Sure there were religious disbelievers in the past, but they mostly just disbelieved the majority religion and many times were religious for a minority religion in the area. But atheism or the idea that you don't believe in any gods as a defined term is only a recent invention.

There isn't much history behind it, but there doesn't need to be history behind a good idea. An idea doesn't need to be ancient to be compelling to adhere to and follow.

Your honesty is greatly appreciated and I do have respect for you Krazy
man. Maybe you could curb some of your rhetoric in the future? As previously
stated? It's all I really look for in my threads.

posted on May, 9 2017 @ 02:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: randyvs
a reply to: johnb

Remember most of them are/were used as tools to control the masses and therefore their words of truth are twisted to serve those who seek power and control.

But this is just zietgiest if you apply it to Christianity. Christianity thru out
history has always been abolished and hated by those who vie control.
They even tried to control the resurrection by placing the roman guard
at Josephs tomb. To no avail.

This is at direct odds with the last 1800 years or so with Christianity (notably Catholicism) dominating the world. First with the Roman Empire then followed by European Mercantilism.

posted on May, 9 2017 @ 02:26 PM
link   

I've been cleaning up my approach over the years since we used to butt heads all the time over evolution.

posted on May, 9 2017 @ 02:26 PM
link   

I agree with quite a bit of what you have written. That is why I do not belong to any organized religion.

To me there is an ocean of difference between religion and spirituality. Religions are based on one person's, or one small group's spiritual experience. Being raised Catholic I was told exactly what to believe about a wide variety of subjects that had very little to do with what I perceived as being important to a higher power. I believe that from the genuine spiritual experiences of some a code of rules gets developed over time and those rule ultimately are there to foster control and income for the religion and have very little to do with the spiritual development of the individual.

I think it is a mistake to decide wether or not to believe in a higher power based upon the acts and words of man.

I never had any spiritual experiences until I gave up on the rules and sought out my higher power directly.

True spiritual practice leads to humility and seeing all other humans as your equal (these both occur on an ever changing spectrum for the individual, of course). Religions rarely do this, in my experience. Certainly the Church that I was raised in does not do this at all.

My belief, and one I do not recommend for anyone but myself, is that this higher power, whether it be an entity, an energy, a law, or anything else, requires only those two things to begin a sort of dialogue with the individual. It does not require a specific magical incantation, or ritual, or being called by a specific name.

posted on May, 9 2017 @ 02:31 PM
link   

What about the main point of my post?

Also I would say the Roman Empire became the Roman Catholic Church which to this day controls large parts of the world and doesn't behave at all like any definition of Christianity I've ever read.

Christianity was only abolished by alternative powers fighting for control - where they won they just installed a different religion or branch of the same, in general, although some have banned ALL religions not just christianity.

If you think Christianity is correct then please explain how other religions can provide the same proofs you do?

posted on May, 9 2017 @ 02:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

I'm a bit confused, but that's not unusual. The abuse of alcohol and drugs lead me to misery so in that sense I guess they eventually lead to my spiritual awakening.

I've read a lot about the use of psychedelics in the past few years. '___' was originally thought to be a cure for alcoholism. My use of drugs, including psychedelics, was not a shamanistic voyage, it was abusive escapism and did not lead to enlightenment. If it does for others, especially if being lead by someone experienced in their usage, then I'm cool with that. It isn't for me though, not now. I don't even like taking cold medicine when I am ill.

posted on May, 9 2017 @ 02:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: TobyFlenderson

I'm a bit confused, but that's not unusual. The abuse of alcohol and drugs lead me to misery so in that sense I guess they eventually lead to my spiritual awakening.

So our stories are a bit different after all. My story is one of being a huge jerk out of the army and then being introduced to the hippie scene (and I'm not just talking about pot either). I have friends who have told me that I've changed for the better since then. Becoming more open and relatable. Nicer. Etc.

I've read a lot about the use of psychedelics in the past few years. '___' was originally thought to be a cure for alcoholism. My use of drugs, including psychedelics, was not a shamanistic voyage, it was abusive escapism and did not lead to enlightenment. If it does for others, especially if being lead by someone experienced in their usage, then I'm cool with that. It isn't for me though, not now. I don't even like taking cold medicine when I am ill.

I'm not here trying to sell the merits of drug use or anything. I'm just pointing out what they did for me.

posted on May, 9 2017 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Also I would say the Roman Empire became the Roman Catholic Church which to this day controls large parts of the world and doesn't behave at all like any definition of Christianity I've ever read.

Alright, you have a good point there and I'll need time to consider it
in earnest.

Your other question is answered here by a Professor.

If you think Christianity is correct then please explain how other religions can provide the same proofs you do?

edit on Rpm50917v02201700000003 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2017 @ 03:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

So our stories are a bit different after all. My story is one of being a huge jerk out of the army and then being introduced to the hippie scene (and I'm not just talking about pot either). I have friends who have told me that I've changed for the better since then. Becoming more open and relatable. Nicer. Etc.

I'm not here trying to sell the merits of drug use or anything. I'm just pointing out what they did for me.

high five, brother.

posted on May, 9 2017 @ 03:11 PM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

high five, brother.

Hell, even I like that post!

I'm onry!
edit on Rpm50917v12201700000026 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2017 @ 03:33 PM
link   
a reply to: peter vlar

There are literally dozens of versions of "The Bible" out there today and each and every one of them is slightly different than the others. And that doesn't even touch on how different groups interpret the Bible and how they go back and forth debating which of them are the real or true chrisstians. And then there's the part where a large number of Paul's Epistles are either heavily edited after the fact or they are outright forgeries based on the grammatical errors.

Peter you make some great points no doubt! I wonder how they would
hold up under the scrutiny of a Professor like Ravi Zacharias?

posted on May, 9 2017 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Many years ago, I rejected christian beliefs. That was back in my early teens after my mom dragging me to church every sunday since I was little.

As I grew older, I started to see the hypocrisy of religions of almost all types.

I thought I had become an atheist and had all the answers.

I was wrong.

I came across this little book called The Tao of Pooh.

en.wikipedia.org...

I discovered a deeper meaning to life , including my own.

Found my inner peace through that little book.

Nobody has all the answers, the answers lie within yourself.

posted on May, 9 2017 @ 03:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: peter vlar

Richard Dawkins is not a priest of atheism. He is an atheist and scientist with a set of beliefs and happens to be vocal about them. That doesn't mean he is right or that all atheists agree with him or follow every word he says though.

But nearly all take to his bigotry. And most of all he is an author
of lies.

Personally, and I know many others who feel the same, Dawkins is the worst thing to happen to Atheists and Agnostics in a long time. He aggressive and overly abrasive. As a zoologist, he was top of his fame. As a supposed philosopher and self anointed figurehead of Atheism, he makes many other look equally reprehensible based solely on a philosophical association. Judge me for my beliefs, not because someone else claims similar beliefs. It's like me loathing all of Christianity because of the WBC.

Yep... he is a great evolutionary biologist. Not so good at philosophy. I feel like I am constantly having to explain myself to theists because of him. No we don't all think like Dawkins. Just when we hear creationists talk

posted on May, 9 2017 @ 04:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Groot

I came across this little book called The Tao of Pooh.

Yep.

The Tao of Pooh.

The Zen of Motorcycle Maintenance.

The Tao of Relationships.

Everyday Zen.

and so many more

posted on May, 9 2017 @ 04:06 PM
link   

I have lots of answers. I just don't claim to know if they are correct without scientific proof.

posted on May, 9 2017 @ 04:08 PM
link   
a reply to: MotherMayEye

Well if they don't hold up under your own prescribed truth?
I don't see them as answers.
edit on Rpm50917v09201700000025 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2017 @ 04:10 PM
link   

a reply to: MotherMayEye

Well if they don't hold up under your own prescribed truth?
I don't see them as answers.

Eh, they are possibles. Same as everyone else has.

posted on May, 9 2017 @ 04:13 PM
link   

a reply to: Woodcarver

I don't feel that I've invented anything. I think truly spiritual people, whatever religion or no religion at all (like me), are relying upon the same being/energy/entity. I believe that there are spiritual laws, just like physical laws, and that when we do our best to attempt to follow them a different aspect of life opens up to us.
So, you think that everyone is praying to the same god? Then why are there so many different variations of the story? What are these spiritual laws, and how do you know them? How does following these laws benefit you?

posted on May, 9 2017 @ 04:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs

*waves at peter vlar*

Hey there.

So, August 21st - the total eclipse of the sun. Like, the thing that only happens once every several thousand years......
when the moon is PRECISELY at the correct distance and trajectory to block out the sun. A disc in the sky covering another disc in the sky. We will be able to see the 'corona', though --- and happily, I live IN THE ZONE where it will actually turn night-time black aside from the 'corona' (the gas atmosphere of the sun).

This was the stuff of hysterical worship and imagined 'portent'. And we're going to have it here in a couple months!! And people are actually getting hotel rooms, and they're planning festivals, and Mr Wigs and I have both filed for the day off ---- so we can drive out of this city and to where there are no lights for miles and miles and miles and miles.....

and it will be a tremendous day. Haven't heard if Westboro's planning on being there, but I doubt it.

Cuz, we know it's just science. And planetary alignment, and gravity, and light years and all that stuff. We still don't know everything, but dammit, we DO know that this eclipse is not some "god vengeance."

Lucky here because I live a few hours away from the epicenter for viewing the eclipse. Taking the day off as well and traveling down to Hopskinville, KY.

posted on May, 9 2017 @ 04:26 PM
link   
a reply to: TobyFlenderson

Exactly

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join