It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Over 7000 insane asylum patients discovered buried under university

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2017 @ 07:00 PM
link   
It's interesting as the claim of 1376 patients admitted between 1855 and 1877 in the O.P. is wildly out of sync with finding 7000 coffins.

Must be more to the story.

posted on May, 8 2017 @ 07:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Phoenix

I think they were active until the early 1900's, so there is a lot of years missing. I'm pretty sure anyone that had to enter that asylum stayed until their demise.

I read somewhere in another article that at one point after the civil war, a huge influx of people were sent there.

posted on May, 8 2017 @ 07:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: knowledgehunter0986
a reply to: Wide-Eyes

I'd bet there was also a lot of murders and maybe even genocide. How the heck do you manage to bury 7000 people.

More details here:

www.usatoday.com...

Opened 1855, closed 1935, Admitted 62 patients/year betwen 1855 and 1877. At that rate, over 80 years, they had 4960 patients. So if they are admitting 62 patients/year, then probably that number are either dying or being released. So they are burying 1 patient/week.

posted on May, 8 2017 @ 08:40 PM
link   

a reply to: Naturallywired

I'm talking about the memorial and museum/study lab they've decided to build after this discovery.
Gotcha

posted on May, 8 2017 @ 08:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: stormcell

a reply to: Wide-Eyes

I'd bet there was also a lot of murders and maybe even genocide. How the heck do you manage to bury 7000 people.

More details here:

www.usatoday.com...

Opened 1855, closed 1935, Admitted 62 patients/year betwen 1855 and 1877. At that rate, over 80 years, they had 4960 patients. So if they are admitting 62 patients/year, then probably that number are either dying or being released. So they are burying 1 patient/week.
Amazing with stat's like that they did not have crazy people shooting up malls?

Yea I was being sarcastic

posted on May, 8 2017 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Psychiatry: An Industry of Death
(skip ahead to 8:00)

posted on May, 8 2017 @ 08:48 PM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

I am not sure if I seen that video, but I am sure of what it contains. (off Topic)
7000 souls dying in one place? That totally does not set well with me. (on Topic)
edit on 5 8 2017 by Naturallywired because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2017 @ 09:59 PM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Video was made by the scientologists if I recall correctly.

posted on May, 8 2017 @ 10:00 PM
link   
It has been a very interesting day on this site to say the least!

LOL.

posted on May, 8 2017 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Would make a good Ghost Adventures episode.

posted on May, 8 2017 @ 10:16 PM
link   
a reply to: GuidedKill

Fairly common story everywhere, not just the South.

The numbers are staggering. How many paupers graves are there, and of those, how many were asylum victims?

We'll likely never know...and to be perfectly honest, not sure I want to know. Y'know?

Treated as little more than animals. I wonder how many died forgotten, unmourned, and alone.

I think the most shameful aspect of this is "unnamed".

posted on May, 9 2017 @ 12:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Deaf Alien

well like knowledgehunter0986 said maybe it had to do with racism, judging from your attempt at derailing you should be institutionalized

posted on May, 9 2017 @ 12:41 AM
link   

attention seeker, move on

posted on May, 9 2017 @ 12:43 AM
link   

well that didnt bother you before when you wanted to go all politics did it? ....your colours are showing

posted on May, 9 2017 @ 12:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Naturallywired

The video goes onto how psychiatry stigmatizes, why is it off topic?
Its an industry lacking verifiable science and yet causes so much harm

posted on May, 9 2017 @ 04:06 AM
link   

Another point that needs to be mentioned is that this was in Mississippi, and during those times (and even now) racism was alive and well.

I bet a large amount of patients were not even crazy, if you know what I mean.

Indeed and many sadly suffered. Not limited to there surely.

There and other places, people disowned by family from not being to their standards to being a single mother sometimes brought people to being thrown away in these places. If not asylums, they were sent to almshouse houses or poor farms, which mixed the population between poor/homeless single mothers and children, and people who were criminally insane. Not to forget those who had TB in these places and sanatoriums.
edit on 9-5-2017 by dreamingawake because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2017 @ 09:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: seagull
a reply to: GuidedKill

Fairly common story everywhere, not just the South.

The numbers are staggering. How many paupers graves are there, and of those, how many were asylum victims?

We'll likely never know...and to be perfectly honest, not sure I want to know. Y'know?

Treated as little more than animals. I wonder how many died forgotten, unmourned, and alone.

I think the most shameful aspect of this is "unnamed".

Atleast now we know that their deaths will not have been in vain, thanks to the memorial. I'm sure the study lab will lead to some groundbreaking studies.

And maybe even tell us a better story of what actually happened there.

posted on May, 9 2017 @ 09:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheConstruKctionofLight

well that didnt bother you before when you wanted to go all politics did it? ....your colours are showing

My wacky sense of humor is going all politics? Sighs. Some people just don't have sense of humor.

Anyway it would be cool if the ghost hunters would go to that place.

posted on May, 9 2017 @ 09:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheConstruKctionofLight

attention seeker, move on

Um you're the one who keep bumping this with nothing of substance.
Attention seeker indeed.

posted on May, 9 2017 @ 01:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude
And where are we at today with regards to mental health?

LOL, about a mile down the road from there. Sad.

I think it's pretty much a big sect, like a personality cult, the psychiatrist who has absolute unquestionable power, judges in court who listen to their university degree medical opinion vs 'the patient'. Almost everyone in western society is indoctrinated, they associate an opinion with scientific facts like the earth is round, then there is the fear and the false sense of security someone is controlling confused people who might be a potential danger and lastly the money going around, mostly to the pharmaceutical industry. But it's not a social dictatorship, a person can live in society without ever coming into contact with them. It's just too bad it's being presented as a legitimate healing art without any alternative.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join