It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Need Help! My Head is Spinning!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2017 @ 11:23 AM
link   
I have a desktop with Windows 7 Ultimate, and FF for my browser. I need to know why my computer just sits and spins when I click on a link?

This started about four days ago. I have gone back and deleted a couple of add-ons, and got rid of a program that I downloaded. There shouldn't be anything on my computer now that wasn't there before when it ran good. I have the fastest download speed offered by my cable company too.

I've done a defrag analysis. It said it was at 2%. Do I need to compress my data?

I'm at a loss for what is causing this problem, and it's really aggravating having to sit and wait a whole minute while this stupid piece of sh*t sits there spinning.

Thanks in advance.

posted on May, 8 2017 @ 11:27 AM
link   
a reply to: sled735

Try malwarebytes and ccleaner...both are free and are decent.
You have probably heard of them already but if you haven't...you have now.
They clean out a lot of crap in your system.

You can also try system restore and go back to an earlier date when your computer wasn't doing that.

edit on 8-5-2017 by DrumsRfun because: (no reason given)

edit on 8-5-2017 by DrumsRfun because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2017 @ 11:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: DrumsRfun

Try malwarebytes and ccleaner...both are free and are decent.
You have probably heard of them already but if you haven't...you have now.

They clean out a lot of crap in your system.

I already have Malwarebytes. I'll check on the ccleaner. Thanks.

posted on May, 8 2017 @ 11:35 AM
link   
www.bleepingcomputer.com...

I use combofix and ADWcleaner. With the two of those, it cleans up most systems. (combofix won't work on windows 10)
Also be sure you have good AV.

posted on May, 8 2017 @ 11:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: network dude
www.bleepingcomputer.com...

I use combofix and ADWcleaner. With the two of those, it cleans up most systems. (combofix won't work on windows 10)
Also be sure you have good AV.

Okay, just used the CCleaner. Still spins, but not as long. What does AV stand for?

posted on May, 8 2017 @ 11:46 AM
link   

How many addons do you have left , try disabling them then start FF . if it's quicker you know it's an addon causing the problem.
If not then perhaps try This

edit on 8-5-2017 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2017 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Do a system restore and ones its finished go into safe mode and eescan your computer.

posted on May, 8 2017 @ 11:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: gortex

How many addons do you have left , try disabling them then start FF . if it's quicker you know it's an addon causing the problem.
If not then perhaps try This

Okay, thanks. I only have a couple of add ons that I had before all this started, so it shouldn't be them.

I'll have to come back to this later. Have to run out for a while.

posted on May, 8 2017 @ 12:01 PM
link   
make sure to clear your entire history, cookies etc.. but save passwords and bookmark links you need... ff was kinda slow for me, it help when i did it

you could also download adwcleaner, and malwarebytes, and you can also download their rootkit www.malwarebytes.com...
edit on 8-5-2017 by Jiggly because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2017 @ 12:26 PM
link   
I'll be willing to bet that you're a FaceBook addict. My wife's computer wouldn't boot nor would it let me run the AV we have on it. I had to pull the battery in it to turn it off and then booted it into safe zone. Down loaded MalwareBytes and ran it in safe. Found 511 problems with two being trojans. After MB did its thing, rebooted in to regular mode and ran MB again and it found forty more including another trojan.

After that, ran my AV, Comodo, and found another trojan. Ran it twice more to make sure there were no more.

Found out that when the AV update pop up was flashing she would delete it instead of installing them. SMH...

posted on May, 8 2017 @ 12:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: NightFlight
I'll be willing to bet that you're a FaceBook addict. My wife's computer wouldn't boot nor would it let me run the AV we have on it. I had to pull the battery in it to turn it off and then booted it into safe zone. Down loaded MalwareBytes and ran it in safe. Found 511 problems with two being trojans. After MB did its thing, rebooted in to regular mode and ran MB again and it found forty more including another trojan.

After that, ran my AV, Comodo, and found another trojan. Ran it twice more to make sure there were no more.

Found out that when the AV update pop up was flashing she would delete it instead of installing them. SMH...

Not really an addict, but I do visit it often. I'm on the boards more than FB. I asked in a previous post, and I'll ask again... what does AV mean?
Also, I haven't had anything popup while I was on FB.

posted on May, 8 2017 @ 12:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: sled735

originally posted by: NightFlight

Not really an addict, but I do visit it often. I'm on the boards more than FB. I asked in a previous post, and I'll ask again... what does AV mean?
Also, I haven't had anything popup while I was on FB.

Oh, okay... anti virus. I have MalWareBytes on my computer already. I just deleted AG Free because I thought it might be it. Still doing it to some degree.

posted on May, 8 2017 @ 12:45 PM
link   

AV = Anti Virus

posted on May, 8 2017 @ 12:51 PM
link   

I need to know why my computer just sits and spins when I click on a link?

Sounds like too much adult content.

posted on May, 8 2017 @ 12:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

I need to know why my computer just sits and spins when I click on a link?

Sounds like too much adult content.

NO!

posted on May, 8 2017 @ 12:55 PM
link   
They have been hooking up smart meters all around me (BUT NOT ON MY HOUSE!). Do you think the signals could be affecting my wi-fi in some way?

posted on May, 8 2017 @ 01:07 PM
link   
The two latest updates for FF have slowed my desktop and laptop down to a crawl.

I would suggest using Opera or Chrome. Much faster browsing experience, IMHO.
I don't say that lightly, as both of those browsers were on my list to never use.
Now, both are far faster.

FWIW,
Please do not run your computer without an AntiVirus.....try a new one.....some suggestions are offered here....some are free, some not.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 8 2017 @ 01:12 PM
link   
I wouldn't be so quick to blame your computer unless it happens everywhere. Yesterday ATS would "spin and spin" on almost every click. But only ATS. I managed to create a couple of double posts because f it. It seems solved today.

posted on May, 8 2017 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Hey, Sled!

Sorry to say but it sounds like you got some nasty malware slowing you down. Great advice has already been given on how to fix it. Good luck.

Just wanted to pop in and say 'hi' to my dear friend.

posted on May, 8 2017 @ 01:28 PM
link   
I've used Comodo for over ten years and I personally have never had anything that would hurt my computer (as long as it is updated). Plus, its FREE! I keep MalwareBytes on back-up just in case. Its free, too.
Comodo Free Internet Security

Comodo internet security has a firewall, Anti Virus (AV) and several other very useful programs. It also runs neck and neck with MalwareBytes. You can pay for Comodo but the only thing extra is Geek Buddy, a live person to help you with virus and malware problems, usually a furrener what speaks English as a second language, and some extra written support(?).

As I stated, I have had good results with Comodo, only had one problem in ten years with one update and they fixed that in 3 days. YMMV

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join