It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama tries to save his failed legacy

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+28 more 
posted on May, 8 2017 @ 11:01 AM
link   
link to article

BOSTON (AP) -- Former President Barack Obama, in his first public comments about the ongoing debate over his signature health care plan, implored members of Congress on Sunday to demonstrate political courage even if it goes against their party's positions. Obama briefly returned to the spotlight as he accepted the annual John F. Kennedy Profile in Courage Award at JFK's presidential library in Boston. The award is named for a 1957 Pulitzer Prize-winning book by Kennedy that profiled eight U.S. senators who risked their careers by taking principled though unpopular positions.

So what is your idea to save this failing legislature that is Obamacare, Mr. Obama? You had 8 years to make something great, instead, you made something that was functional, into a time bomb that can't help but explode.

Before this garbage was passed, there were a small percentage of people who had trouble getting coverage. Rather than coming up with a way to help those people, he decided to screw the rest of the population to help that small group. And in doing so, he didn't have the vision to see that it won't work. (see Mr. Obama, this is kind of complicated)

It's nice that you get awards like this and that Nobel Peach prize for being ........well, from what I can see, it was just FOR BEING. In conclusion, you aren't president anymore, and we really, really don't care what you think at this point. Go give some $400K speeches and slither off somewhere.

+36 more 
posted on May, 8 2017 @ 11:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Obamacare implosion

By now everyone knows that Obamacare is officially the public policy flop of this generation. With the latest news of premium increases of 22 percent, insurance companies dropping out, dwindling competition, and rising costs to taxpayers, this is truly the Hindenburg of health plans. But there is another part of the story that needs to be told. This wasn’t just a liberal screw up, it was a financial swindle of taxpayers. President Obama’s team and the liberal echo chamber lied about Obamacare from the start and covered up the financial time bomb that would soon detonate in Americans’ laps. These were like Enron officials cooking the books to cover up financial fraud — except in the case of Obamacare, no one ends up in jail.

You can quote all the garbage you want, but those with brains can clearly see the cost now as opposed to before this cluster#. It does amuse me that folks like you would pay twice the price just to have a nice soft spot of Obama's ass for your lips.

posted on May, 8 2017 @ 11:13 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude

8 years to make something great? Reminds me of another recent political party's efforts (or lack thereof) to get a working healthcare system in place.

But hey, Obama. Am I right?

posted on May, 8 2017 @ 11:14 AM
link   

So then it should make sense to fix Obamacare, not sit back and let it implode all while you had every opportunity to fix it just so you can say, "See! I told you so!"

PS: Lol at calling my data garbage but then rebutting with a purely partisan driven article. WT doesn't even source its claims.
edit on 8-5-2017 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

+10 more 
posted on May, 8 2017 @ 11:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: underwerks

8 years to make something great? Reminds me of another recent political party's efforts (or lack thereof) to get a working healthcare system in place.

But hey, Obama. Am I right?

Did you see me give the GOP a big hug over their wonderful repair of this? Yea, I didn't either.
They had 8 years to come up with something better, and didn't. But that doesn't make the fact that Obama screwed the pooch on this one. He did and the dog didn't like it.

posted on May, 8 2017 @ 11:17 AM
link   

If it was Obama's fault all by his lonely, I'd agree. But there was a whole 'nother part of government sinking their claws into it as well.

The blame for the ACA failure should be shared across political isles.
edit on 8-5-2017 by underwerks because: (no reason given)

+22 more 
posted on May, 8 2017 @ 11:17 AM
link   

posted on May, 8 2017 @ 11:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bone75

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
Failed legacy? What are you smoking?
Obamacare’s popularity on the rise: Poll
Obamacare Popularity Continues to Rise
Obamacare's popularity has gone through the roof after Trump’s election
Obamacare popularity highest in nearly seven years as repeal talk mounts
Poll: ObamaCare reaches new popularity

I learned from the election to not trust the pollsters, why didn't you?

Because that is an ignorant and hasty conclusion to reach based on one election that didn't follow most norms, but hey you go a. and build your personal opinions around outliers. Of course the polls weren't as wildly off as we originally believed anyways.

link   

So then it should make sense to fix Obamacare

How would you fix it? Would you put a cap on premiums?

link   
You can't tax the rich to pay for the poor. ACA is immoral and will soon be overturned.

+6 more 
posted on May, 8 2017 @ 11:21 AM
link   

So then it should make sense to fix Obamacare, not sit back and let it implode all while you had every opportunity to fix it just so you can say, "See! I told you so!"

PS: Lol at calling my data garbage but then rebutting with a purely partisan driven article.

Sorry about your "sources and data", I prefer to live in reality and I base my thoughts off of what I see in my wallet. Unless you want to do the math and see how I misinterpreted this health care thing to not cost me more than twice as much for much less coverage. (and I am lucky now I just need insurance for me and not the entire family, then it would be more than the house payment, much more.)

You can cling to your liberal life vest to make you feel better all you like, but the facts on this one are really, really clear.
And now the repeal has been sent to the senate. We as Americans can only hope somewhere in all that stupid, there are a few smart people who can make some badly needed repairs to the existing plan.

posted on May, 8 2017 @ 11:22 AM
link   

The free market forces we have today are keeping premiums low and wringing out the inefficiencies of exorbitant CEO pay. Nothing in the ACA is forcing healthcare insurance providers to have a minimum rate.

edit on 8-5-2017 by dfnj2015 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2017 @ 11:22 AM
link   

The answer to that question is MUCH more complicated than I have time to get into. And even if I could adequately answer that question, I doubt you care about the nuance in my answer to waste time explaining it to you. I'll keep it as simple as I can: Strength the medicare expansion and have the Red states buy into it finally OR go to universal health care/single payer.

posted on May, 8 2017 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Or you just have no idea.

posted on May, 8 2017 @ 11:24 AM
link   

So 50% of the country liking Obamacare now doesn't gel with your "reality"? So you pretend it isn't true? Gotcha.

+7 more 
posted on May, 8 2017 @ 11:25 AM
link   
His legacy is adding 10 trillion to the national debt.
Throw in the rise in health care costs his aca caused and we will have loads to remember.

posted on May, 8 2017 @ 11:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015

Or you just have no idea.

That's one way of putting it. The health care industry is complicated and outside my area of expertise. I just know that Obamacare is better than no Obamacare but it still needs to be improved from where it is currently.

I'd like to see a real answer from a conservative to the health care debate outside of "herp derp repeal Obamacare!" like that is going to fix anything. So I wouldn't be so quick to point out my lack of knowledge.

posted on May, 8 2017 @ 11:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: underwerks

If it was Obama's fault all by his lonely, I'd agree. But there was a whole 'nother part of government sinking their claws into it as well.

The blame for the ACA failure should be shared across political isles.

who else are you going to blame? Obama pushed this. He called all the no votes into his office for a closed door, one on one, and amazingly, they came out "yes" votes. And none of them even read the whole thing.

Or is it Bush's fault?

posted on May, 8 2017 @ 11:26 AM
link   

It's nice that you get awards like this and that Nobel Peach prize for being ........well, from what I can see, it was just FOR BEING. In conclusion, you aren't president anymore, and we really, really don't care what you think at this point. Go give some $400K speeches and slither off somewhere.

Then why the obsession of conservatives to continue to trash him. He's gone...get over it.

Hilliary lost.....let it go.

The campaign is over. It's pointless to keep bringing up politicians that aren't in office and probably never will be again.

or is it simply deflection from the current cluster +*+* we now enjoy?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join