It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How bad is obamacare for our nations families financially? Really bad.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2017 @ 01:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: ElGoobero
compromise with the Republicans? no. not one Republican voted for it.

They still helped write it.

Romneycare? what might work at a state level won't necessarily work nationally. Mass is a very left/democrat state; no way it's a 'conservative' plan. the conservative solution to the health care situation is reduce government controls and allow more (insurance company) competition.

Well your personal opinions on if it will work nationally or not are about 9-10 years too late to the discussion because we've already implemented Romneycare at the national level and called it Obamacare.
RomneyCare: What is RomneyCare?

Yes, ironically RomneyCare and ObamaCare are very similar pieces of legislation. Even Barack Obama himself will admit that RomneyCare was part of the model ObamaCare used to create the current health care reform laws.

Naturally they aren't the same plan and there are differences between the two, but Obamacare definitely started its life as Romneycare. Even Obama agrees.
edit on 8-5-2017 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2017 @ 02:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero
The big problem is young people have opt out and paid the tax, or just blew it off completely. This has made Obamacare not only expensive, but insurance companies are dropping like flies since they are loosing money with it. The rate is at the point that people will not be able to find coverage even if they wanted it.

Yes, and no. You forget that half the demographic we were told needed to buy in in order to make Obamcare work can still stay on their parents' policy until they are 26 (or 27) which effectively halves that demographic. Then you add in the attrition you are talking about.

posted on May, 8 2017 @ 03:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: luthier

originally posted by: Middleoftheroad
Obamacare (ACA) was just the left's way of pushing single payer. They knew it was a disaster, which is why they didn't allow anyone to see what was in it before they passed it. Then they nitpick stats out from ACA saying things like we insured another 20 million people, but don't mention the millions they screwed. The problem is only the idiots not paying for ACA believe all this nonsense that single payer will be great. I just wish I could get one of those credit cards the left believes in, where I can use it until it quits working and then the debt magically goes away.

The left? You mean all of Congress. Last time I checked everyone loves taxes and printing money out of thin air.

No I meant the left. I hate taxes and have never printed money out of thin air.

posted on May, 8 2017 @ 03:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Middleoftheroad

Oh..well politically the conservatives do it as often as liberals possibly more. Including tax cuts that end up lowering revanue and adding debt because they can't balance a budget.

posted on May, 8 2017 @ 03:27 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

In Illinois staying on your parents policy in the individual market costs almost the same as getting your own policy. The amount of money flowing into the risk pool is very similar either way.

posted on May, 8 2017 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Who cares? If I get ill I go to my doctor or hospital and I am treated and I can leave my wallet at home. Never ever ever any financial worries whatsover about getting ill. Currently getting treated for high blood pressure consisting of 3 drugs, cost : big fat zero for the rest of my life.....because I have already paid for it through my National Insurance (tax basically) as every single working person does and this ensurers everyone is treated such as our non working family, grandparents, kids etc.

You americans are woefully ignorant about a universal healthcare system and so wedded to self sufficiency you cannot grasp what the original concept of insurance was and thus it's natural extension to a flat non means tested universal payment system.....

Come to Scotland (not England which is rapidly heading towards a US system , ask my wife, a nurse).

posted on May, 8 2017 @ 06:11 PM
link   
a reply to: yorkshirelad

Thank-you for bringing your experience to ATS, YorkShireLad. Please consider copy/pasting your important contribution into the Universal Healthcare thread, located here: www.abovetopsecret.com...

Thanks in advance.

posted on May, 8 2017 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Sorry, but I have a chronic medical condition that operates as an outlier. I don't want to rely on the vain hope that my government will have compassion for me and understand that my iteration of the condition will not respond to the most cost effective treatments (they've been tried, and in fact, one of them dangerously unbalanced my moods) and approve treatments that are a bit outside the norm but work beautifully for me.

That's the problem with one-size-fits-all care ... if you aren't that size for whatever reason, you generally don't get very good service.

posted on May, 8 2017 @ 08:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Dfairlite

Many are paying 3 and 4 times what they were paying before Obama care.

posted on May, 8 2017 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Well you do know that one size is the model. Even in Europe, Britain, the rare sicknesses are not covered well.

posted on May, 8 2017 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Don't understand. Why is England heading toward an american system?

posted on May, 8 2017 @ 08:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Logarock

Well you do know that one size is the model. Even in Europe, Britain, the rare sicknesses are not covered well.

Oh, trust me. I am very well aware and I live in fear of this kind of model coming to the US as single payer every day of my life, ever since I got it back. I know what happens to people like me in those countries and the trouble they go through just to get relief. I don't want to go back to that.

posted on May, 8 2017 @ 08:34 PM
link   

That is a bit ridiculous. Those places don't have the same coverage or Healthcare systems.

Are Germany, France, Switzerland, Austria, Ireland, Spain, Italy, Poland etc on the same system?

posted on May, 8 2017 @ 08:36 PM
link   
a reply to: luthier

Everyone wants something like Canada or the UK. But regardless, I've heard from people all over Europe who have issues getting to try different treatments when what they are offered through their systems does not work.
edit on 8-5-2017 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2017 @ 08:37 PM
link   

I was rather shocked as I had heard for years how special their health care was. But watching c-span British House one day a lady was given time and ranted how folks with this rare condition were being neglected by the system, drugs for this condition cost huge and told "see you wouldn't want to be you".

posted on May, 8 2017 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Well when your ready for facts look up Switzerland and Germany.

Everyone complains about health care including Americans.

posted on May, 8 2017 @ 08:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Logarock

That sounds like propaganda.

As a young carpenter with no insurance (at $15 an hour mind you) I had no insurance...zero coverage.

So it's all relative.

posted on May, 8 2017 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Under obamacare real people with real jobs had to decide to pay the mortgage or rent or pay for obamacare.

2000 deductibles when you are paying 1200 -1800 $ a month for obamacare health care.
Many companies who used to give affordable health care could not do it without going under because of the messed up disaster that was and still is obamcare.
Then, to add insult to injury, if you choose to pay your mortgage instead of enrolling in obamacare, you get fined for not doing so.

There is nothing good about about obamacare.
Unless you don't have a job, have kids and are a minority.

I said it and it's true.

edit on 2017-05-08T20:57:21-05:002201708America/Chicago5 by c2oden because: true

posted on May, 8 2017 @ 08:56 PM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

There wasn't a single year (from 2000-2013) where premiums rose even 15%. Yes I absolutely think the ACA is the cause of the rise. Look at the sources I posted. Look at the premium increases by year. The ACA screwed us all over.

posted on May, 8 2017 @ 08:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: c2oden
Under obamacare real people with real jobs had to decide to pay the mortgage or rent or pay for obamacare.

2000 deductibles when you are paying 1200 -1800 $ a month for obamacare health care.
Many companies who used to give affordable health care could not do it without going under because of the messed up disaster that was and still is obamcare.
Then, to add insult to injury, if you choose to pay your mortgage instead of enrolling in obamacare, you get fined for not doing so.

There is nothing good about about obamacare.
Unless you don't have a job, have kids and are a minority.

I said it ands it's true.

Your right...but it sucked bad before too, and this bill is like if Obama care didn't cover anything, it's a massive 400 billion give away to the insurance industry. Like Obamacare.

Obama care did cover people who had trouble getting insurance.

You can't get cheap insurance if everyone doesn't buy in.

That is a fact.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join