It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Iran Continues Atomic Testing

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 02:09 PM
link   
In what may be a violation of the agreement with EU3, Iran has continued it's testing of equipment used in the production of fissile material. Although the testing has been limited to what is termed "non-essential components", one IAEA official said, "it might be a breach of the spirit of the suspension agreement."

story.news.yahoo.com
VIENNA (Reuters) - Iran has been testing parts for machines that could be used to develop nuclear weapons, despite a promise to temporarily refrain from all such activities, Western diplomats said Thursday.

A Western diplomat who follows the U.N.'s International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) told Reuters on condition of anonymity Iran was performing quality control checks of "non-essential items" for centrifuges, machines that purify uranium to make fuel for nuclear power plants or weapons.

"If they would act in good faith, there would be a complete standstill of every activity that relates to centrifuges," the diplomat said. This may be a breach of Iran's pledge to freeze all activities related to uranium enrichment, he added.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Iran has continued to claim that it's nuclear ambitions are purely for the peaceful development of atomic energy. At the same time, Iran's activities have continued to be contrary to it's statements. Iran's testing and development, had it been geared truly towards an electrical generation system, should be much further advanced then it is.

Since the outward appearances of their development appears more as a program to develop a nuclear weapon, how can one believe it is anything but?

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
WAR: Iran announces that it will never give up its nuclear program
NEWS: Iran Demands Europe's Leading Powers to Back Up its Right to Have Nuclear Technology.

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Little more info I just found:
Reportedly Iran has also tested a nuclear trigger. This is the device that would be used to start the chain reaction neccessary to create an atomic explosion.

www.reuters.com
PARIS (Reuters) - Iran has conducted successful experiments on a crucial triggering mechanism for a nuclear weapon, an exiled opposition group said on Thursday.

President Bush on Wednesday renewed his accusation that Iran was seeking to develop atomic weapons and called it the "world's primary state sponsor of terror."

Tehran dismisses the accusations and says its atomic ambitions are limited to the peaceful generation of electricity.

The National Council of Resistance of Iran (NCRI), which wants to oust Iran's clerical rulers and has given accurate information on its nuclear sites in the past, said Iran was close to producing the 'neutron initiators' that spark the chain reaction in a bomb.

"Tehran has already succeeded in using beryllium in conjunction with polonium-210 for large scale laboratory testing purposes, and it is getting very close to the point of industrial production," Mohammad Mohaddessin of the NCRI told a news conference in Paris.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

It would also seem that they are acquiring large quantities of nuclear materials that do not have an application in the peaceful development of an electrical generation program.

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 02:44 PM
link   
...again, can't tell me this wasn't expected. But wait, Iran doesn't have a nuclear weapons program

Have a question...Why, if Irans nuclear program is peaceful, hide it from anyone?...would they not want to share information and technology with countries that have had it for 30 plus years?

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 02:47 PM
link   
I think we should just take out their nuclear facilities. It's not worth the risk and I'm sure they will survive without nuclear power. Used to want to take the wait and see approach but they might be too close to getting nukes to wait. The one thing we would have to make sure of before the strike is that they haven't already completed a bomb or bombs.

A B-2 should be able to take it out without much of a problem.

Link to image

[edit on 3-2-2005 by Banshee]

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by phreak_of_nature
Little more info I just found:
Reportedly Iran has also tested a nuclear trigger. This is the device that would be used to start the chain reaction neccessary to create an atomic explosion.

That information came from the National Council of Resistance of Iran (NCRI), also known as the Mujahedeen-e Khalq (MEK).
That group is listed as a terrorist orginization and they were funded primarily by Saddam Hussein.

I wouldn't take their word on this.

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by AceOfBase
That information came from the National Council of Resistance of Iran (NCRI), also known as the Mujahedeen-e Khalq (MEK).
That group is listed as a terrorist orginization and they were funded primarily by Saddam Hussein.

I wouldn't take their word on this.

I wouldn't either, that's why I didn't base a whole story on it, but added it as a sidenote so to speak. It's sourced from Reuters so it has a bit more credibility then Rense. And yes, the group making the claim does not have the same clout as the IAEA when it comes to Iran's nuclear capabilities.

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 03:10 PM
link   
iran must be fully expecting to have their nuclear facilities hit in the coming years. they weren’t sleeping when the osirak reactor was destroyed by the israelis. And that leads me to believe that if there is any easily identifiable target like the one in the picture that was posted, then it's either redundant or a decoy.

my guess is that if they are struck, soon after that they will test a nuke. If not one made by them then one given to them by the russians.

new topics

top topics

join