It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will Fascism Come to America through Its Colleges and Universities?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2017 @ 03:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheStalkingHorse

Watching the masses turn against academia is one of the pinnacle tenants of fascism dictatorship in action. It is done to strip people of their capacity to think for themselves. People actually become convinced that education is brainwashing and a waste of time and money, and denounce those who have become the educated.

If it were the state itself going after academia, it would be a disaster for them. But when they convince the ignorant masses to turn against academia, it is viewed as necessary to maintain their freedom. Meanwhile, each successive generation lives their lives with less liberty and freedom, unable to understand what they have truly lost because they refuse to learn.

This is your fascism.

Ab-so-effing-lutely!

The Great Purge Against the Intelligentsia
In the 1920s and 1930s, 2,000 writers, intellectuals, and artists were imprisoned and 1,500 died in prisons and concentration camps. After sunspot development research was judged un-Marxist, twenty-seven astronomers disappeared between 1936 and 1938. The Meteorological Office was violently purged as early as 1933 for failing to predict weather harmful to the crops.[40] But the toll was especially high among writers.

Seeing elements in the US rail against academia because it disagrees with their political beliefs is incredibly disconcerting.

posted on May, 8 2017 @ 03:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: FuggleHop
a reply to: DBCowboy

Universities are evil instituteions of vampyrism and they should be shut down immediately.

You're a parody account, right?

posted on May, 8 2017 @ 05:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: PistolPete

Seeing elements in the US rail against academia because it disagrees with their political beliefs is incredibly disconcerting.

our academia has bought this on itself. they have turned into a horde of closed-minded ideologues who insist on indoctrinating students with left/progressive politics instead of true education. and they are insufferably smug and elitist.

true academics will encourage free speech, the exchange of ideas and open debate. we have a bunch of semi-fascists and fascistic enablers that give students academic credit for political activities. they make six figures and get extended sabbaticals and tenure and incredible benefits and retirements to sit in their ivory towers for life.
and who pays for all that? Joe Taxpayer. so Professor Smug can lecture everyone on how Joe Taxpayer is a simple-minded jerk.

come on, what's a little railing against the elites???

posted on May, 8 2017 @ 06:21 AM
link   
a reply to: ElGoobero

Railing against the elites? Which ones would those be precisely?

Because it seems to me that one of the richest, most greedy, fundamentally objectionable empire builders currently dwelling on the planet you live on, is both the president of the most powerful country in the world, AND a part of the political movement you favour. Given that, you AUTOMATICALLY have to abandon any legitimate complaint against elitism, because your golden gods, your idols, the mouthpieces for this crap the right have been gaining support on, are the very parasitic, verminous, power hungry ignorant villains, the very elites that you are railing against!

Investment bankers, stock market minions, big pharma, big agriculture, big oil, the MIC, and every other clan of dirt sucking miscreants, are in HEAVEN right now, because all their worst natures are being supported by the president. Oh sure, its hard for him to get anything actually DONE, because he is their sort of a moron, and has no idea how governance works, or why. But the point is, they have the ear of the leader of the "free world". They have his notional support. The very elite, money spinning, high flying, unaccountable, despotic bastards who centralise all available wealth in one small group, the very people you are having a problem with, are literally emboldened by this guy.

So while you stoutly rebuke the mere millionaires teaching at University, you might want to consider the behaviour of the BILLIONAIRE set that your president is a part of, because every single one of the people who actually benefit at this stage, from a right or alt-right president in any tangible sense, are exactly the sorts of people you CLAIM to have a problem with.

posted on May, 8 2017 @ 06:29 AM
link   

It Already has . You can Thank the Parents of Kids who have been indoctrinated into this Perverse Political Belief in Liberal Collages today for Caring Not what they are Taught other than a Basic Education meant to Prepare them for a Future Career . Their Parents have Failed them out of Selfishness and Indifference , and for Forgetting the Principles of a Democratic Political System that Values Freedom above Subservience to Anyone Preaching Lies to Coerce them into Radical Acts of Civil Disobedience .

posted on May, 8 2017 @ 08:15 AM
link   

It's only a slight exaggeration to say that Social Justice Warriors are to social justice what the Democratic People's Republic of North Korea is to democracy.

But they are exercising their right to free speech too...

...even though it disagrees with yours.

Fascism is already here, not in some distant time frame. A combination of government and corporations, a cooperation beholden to the dollar, not the people. What the hell thats got to do with people protesting on some university campus?

posted on May, 8 2017 @ 09:33 AM
link   

I disagree. Colleges are a mix of different people and personalities. While academic professions tend to draw people with a more liberal bent, the best professors equip students with the tools they need to examine and question the status quo.

I encourage you to think about why the highly educated trend liberal. Could it be perhaps the pursuit of knowledge attracts more liberals than conservatives? I know that's probably a controversial idea on ATS, but there could be some merit to it. There are a lot of conservative professors, too. When I was in college, I had some of them.

The best colleges teach students how to think. There's an expectation today that to be conservative, you must subscribe to a rigid orthodoxy. That is not to say liberals don't have orthodox views, many do.

People that bash college don't give students enough credit. It's comforting for people to believe that, if only they could shovel conservative orthodoxy into the mouths of students, then somehow they would turn out conservative. That's nonsense, and denies the humanity of students. Students have free will and can think for themselves. It's arrogant to assume that anyone has a corner on the "truth," whatever that means.

Plus, there's another factor at play. If a student grows up in a rural place, where conservative values are the norm, college allows them to try on other points of view. They can discover, as they look at the world from different angles and perspectives, that what they have been taught by family, church and the media doesn't match the truth that they come to accept on their own.

posted on May, 8 2017 @ 09:40 AM
link   
a reply to: icanteven

If you don't know how to think by the time you reach college, then you really do not deserve to be there in the first place.

College is for higher learning.

It used to be, at least.

posted on May, 8 2017 @ 09:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

If you don't know how to think by the time you reach college, then you really do not deserve to be there in the first place.

College is for higher learning.

It used to be, at least.

Did you go to college? Do you remember reading and writing papers? Learning to express a point of view based on what you learn? The differences between primary and secondary sources, and how to build an argument?

College equipped me with tools to think for myself. I grew up in a rural town. The high school was good, I guess. It was recognized as a blah blah blah school of excellence or whatever by the state. I learned history, basic chemistry, advanced math, drama, photography, and more.

But what I wasn't exposed to in high school was sociology, psychology, critical theory, history of minorities and women, the humanities and more. You also learn how history is constructed, and that's eye opening, too. Once you're awakened to the richness of human knowledge, you learn that there's so much that you don't know. There's more knowledge than anyone has time to learn. It awakened a love of learning in me.

I don't know anyone in my circle that turned into a caricature of a leftist. From college, I have really liberal friends, conservative friends, and some that hold both belief systems (the socially liberal, fiscally conservative types).

posted on May, 8 2017 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Learning about the Diverse Political Beliefs of Peoples around the World in one thing , but Political Indoctrination with an Ulterior Motive behind it is Another . The Ruse sometimes used in getting a Higher Education often takes Advantage of those Students that are not Prepared to Recognize Manipulations of Thought for the Benefit of an Establishment that Cares Not what they may Think , but How and What they Believe to be a Truth .
edit on 8-5-2017 by Zanti Misfit because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2017 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Multiple degrees in science, engineering, biology.

College was a means to an end. It provided me with the tools I needed to be successful in my chosen career.

I avoided the sociology, the drama, the courses that would not have benefitted me.

If I didn't already know HOW to think and work, I would have failed miserably.

posted on May, 8 2017 @ 10:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Zanti Misfit
How are they being taken advantage of? Do you believe students are stupid? They were smart enough to get into college in the first place.

What are sources of pure, unadulterated knowledge, in your estimation?
I am curious to know how one should get educated by not being exposed to different thoughts and ideas.

posted on May, 8 2017 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Very impressive! I didn't have the aptitude for a science track, though I love reading about discoveries in those fields. I bow down to people who can do those things.

My liberal arts education prepared me for my career, too. I work in the world of ideas and helping others build strong, persuasive arguments to get people to buy enterprise technology. I use a lot of research in my work. Knowing various ways that people can be convinced and motivated to try something new or, more crassly, buy something, has served me well.

posted on May, 8 2017 @ 10:10 AM
link   

. It's only a slight exaggeration to say that Social Justice Warriors are to social justice what the Democratic People's Republic of North Korea is to democracy.

That is perhaps the best analogy that describes Social Justice Warriors I have ever heard.

posted on May, 8 2017 @ 11:42 AM
link   

" How are they being taken advantage of? Do you believe students are stupid? They were smart enough to get into college in the first place. "

Generalizations . The System is Constructed to Manipulate those who are Prone and Unprepared for them .

" What are sources of pure, unadulterated knowledge, in your estimation?
I am curious to know how one should get educated by not being exposed to different thoughts and ideas."

Knowledge is gained by Trial and Error , in that Process Facts and Fictions must be discerned for what they Truly are by an Intelligent and Inquisitive Mind which in some cases leads to the acquirement of Wisdom for the Few who See it .

edit on 8-5-2017 by Zanti Misfit because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2017 @ 12:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: icanteven

The best colleges teach students how to think. There's an expectation today that to be conservative, you must subscribe to a rigid orthodoxy. That is not to say liberals don't have orthodox views, many do.

sure. unfortunately today's colleges/universities do not do this. they indoctrinate their students and program them into leftist elites that hate Christianity, capitalism, the 2nd amendment and traditional values, so they can spread throughout the land and implement and indoctrinate said leftist doctrine.
the object is not learning to think; the object is thinking as the student is told. I've seen many of those interviews where conservative media give SJWs the microphone and ask them specific policy questions only to get deer in the headlights. they aren't able to think critically, they can only recite slogans and invective.

are you genuinely not aware of this?

TrueBrit, I have more respect for businessmen that take risks, produce products, employ people and pay taxes, than elite snob tenured-for-life hypocrite professors.
and no, I don't deny there are some scumbag businessmen who game the system, pull strings in D.C., cheat workers and exploit consumers. always have been, always will. it wasn't this cabal that put Trump in; it was middle-class voters.

posted on May, 8 2017 @ 01:32 PM
link   
People always want to argue right wing/left wing, republican/democrat, and a seemingly endless stream of isms. I prefer the argument of authoritarianism/liberty. All anyone is arguing about is which form of authoritarianism they prefer. I understand some form of government is needed, but not some monstrous central government that pushes one size fits all answers.

I hear all this crap about diversity and how we must accept this or that, you can't say things that are 'insensitive', and if you do your a racist or a bigot because you don't support the cause of the moment. Whenever I hear the progressives start talking, I have to say, this quote leaps immediately to mind.

A great many people think they are thinking when they are really rearranging their prejudices.
William James
US Pragmatist philosopher & psychologist (1842 - 1910)

peace

posted on May, 8 2017 @ 02:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: ElGoobero

sure. unfortunately today's colleges/universities do not do this. they indoctrinate their students and program them into leftist elites that hate Christianity, capitalism, the 2nd amendment and traditional values, so they can spread throughout the land and implement and indoctrinate said leftist doctrine.
the object is not learning to think; the object is thinking as the student is told. I've seen many of those interviews where conservative media give SJWs the microphone and ask them specific policy questions only to get deer in the headlights. they aren't able to think critically, they can only recite slogans and invective.

All I see in your post are unsubstantiated claims. I am aware of the claims that conservative media make. Like any form of media, it has an agenda. In fact, one of the fundamental theories of mass communication is agenda-setting theory.

It's ridiculous to extrapolate that universities don't teach people to think critically based on a handful of "conservative media [giving] SJWs (whatever that is) the microphone". Is an SJW a Single Jehovah's Witness?

In the U.S., universities that are accredited go through a rigorous process by the regional associations of colleges and schools. You can read more about the process on the associations' respective pages, since I'm not going to summarize and do your research for you. Here's a link to get you started: www.sacscoc.org...

Not that it matters. Confirmation bias is going to prejudice you against anything that runs counter to your prevailing views, so having a dialog with you is no more satisfying than yelling into a sinkhole.

posted on May, 8 2017 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Personally I am of the mind, and I am sad to say it, that Fascism has been infecting the USA since soon after the civil war ended ... and that both the Republican & Democratic parties are currently infested with it ...
I put this link in a thread here a few years ago that was pretty much the same argument that this one has become, so I will put it out there again.
It's a really long read, but is well worth the time if you truly want to know about the foundation of the Fascist shift that the USA has undeniably taken
The Rise Of American Fascism

posted on May, 8 2017 @ 03:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: ElGoobero

All I see in your post are unsubstantiated claims. I am aware of the claims that conservative media make. Like any form of media, it has an agenda. In fact, one of the fundamental theories of mass communication is agenda-setting theory.

It's ridiculous to extrapolate that universities don't teach people to think critically based on a handful of "conservative media [giving] SJWs (whatever that is) the microphone". Is an SJW a Single Jehovah's Witness?

In the U.S., universities that are accredited go through a rigorous process by the regional associations of colleges and schools. You can read more about the process on the associations' respective pages, since I'm not going to summarize and do your research for you. Here's a link to get you started: www.sacscoc.org...

Not that it matters. Confirmation bias is going to prejudice you against anything that runs counter to your prevailing views, so having a dialog with you is no more satisfying than yelling into a sinkhole.

LOL well you too!
I'm stating universally accepted facts. if you reject them there's really not much point in attempting a dialogue.
accreditation? most of these schools have existed for 100 years plus. their founders, by the way, would not recognize what their institutions have become.
edit on 8-5-2017 by ElGoobero because: typo

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join