It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will Fascism Come to America through Its Colleges and Universities?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+31 more 
posted on May, 7 2017 @ 09:59 AM
link   

If fascism comes to America, it will be through our college and university system.

The biggest cowards in our country today are many, if not most, of our college and university administrators followed closely by a fair amount of their faculty. They are allowing their institutions to be taken over by a monolithic world view that is increasingly totalitarian and antithetical to the diversity of opinion on which the search for truth depends.

The inmates are running the asylum -- and not with any of the humor of One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. It's only a slight exaggeration to say that Social Justice Warriors are to social justice what the Democratic People's Republic of North Korea is to democracy. In a few years, freshman handbooks may no longer be necessary. They can give out copies of Orwell's Animal Farm instead.

And I'm not just talking about recent events at UC Berkeley, where the onetime bastion of the free speech movement has turned into ground zero for the anti-speech movement, spearheaded by the violent masked goons of the absurdly named "antifa," speaking of Orwellian constructs. This restrictive attitude toward viewpoint diversity is pervasive throughout our colleges and universities, even though the freedom of speech enshrined in the First Amendment is arguably the most important of all principles on which this country was founded. Yet only a tiny minority of those responsible for our higher education have the courage to defend it. Most are so timid they won't even lend their name to a petition

pjmedia.com...

There is more to the article, I would encourage those to read it if so interested.

I can't find anything to disagree with. I think the author put it bluntly, and succinctly.

It's what we talk about quite often here and I think if we don't (at least) recognize it, it'll happen much sooner than later.

I'll leave you with the authors closing statements. . . .

Since students are the consumers of education and its reason for being, equally, if not more, important are two excellent sites that deal with the student experience in today's higher ed -- The College Fix and Campus Reform. If you're not reading them, you should be.

And not just casually. Because the people who are trying to keep our campuses free are on the front lines of the most important fight of our times -- to keep America from descending into a Weimar Republic with decadent thugs shutting down speech across the country, just as they did in Germany in the '20s and '30s. We're not there yet, but we're close.

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Freedom in a stable society is never absolute. But it passes for Freedom because people in a stable society have enough in common that they dismiss the lunatic outliers as, well, lunatic outliers, based on "common sense", emphasis on "common".

The problem in the US now is the divide is too great, we're too diverse in areas that don't lend themselves to compromise and we are so in numbers that are large enough to make us unstable.

We don't have enough of the substantial in common any more.

edit on 7-5-2017 by imwilliam because: added a comma for clarity

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 10:11 AM
link   
a reply to: imwilliam

Is the "instability" a natural occurance because of the size and growth of our population, or was this instability introduced?

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 10:14 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

They are allowing their institutions to be taken over by a monolithic world view that is increasingly totalitarian and antithetical to the diversity of opinion on which the search for truth depends.

Probably the most important part and needs to be highlighted so everyone can see it again.

People need to start standing up for what's right and not let their partisan dictate their thoughts. We are seeing it too often and I'm sure even they know it, but for some reason they always feel compelled to disagree, no matter how illogical their argument is (which is almost every time).

What's more important?

Being right? (Even though you're still wrong)

Or being wrong, and making things right?

Hmm..

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 10:15 AM
link   
This is the result of seats of learning changing from being imparters of knowledge and wisdom, to informers of opinion and policy. The Frankfurt School Doctrine, if you will.
edit on 7-5-2017 by CulturalResilience because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 10:19 AM
link   

From personal experience, I have seen the Regressive Left dominating academia.

According to a professor of mine who is not a Trump supporter (Called him a man baby) and not a conspiracy theorist and believes in climate change, admitted to me that he acknowledged that the Liberal Coastal Elite controlled the Universities, have a hatred of working class whites and perpetuate political correctness and that if he openly express his views, he'll lose his job.

Also I have another professor who told me he will lose his job if he was caught criticizing Radical Islam.
edit on 5/7/2017 by starwarsisreal because: (no reason given)

+2 more 
posted on May, 7 2017 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Psh...

It's outrage media..

"Journalists" mainly of the opinion piece variety go out looking for the worst case scenerio idiot to quote and then over generalize that out, and pretend it apply a to all of whatever group of people...

Then the problem is magnified by fact people have learned there is no faster way to get clicks and publicity than to say something politically ridiculous..

The opposing side will all run stories linking to your site.

Both peta and Ann coulter both do it like clock work whenever they have a book/donation cycle start.

edit on 7-5-2017 by JoshuaCox because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Is the "instability" a natural occurance because of the size and growth of our population, or was this instability introduced?

First, I don't think it's necessarily about size or growth, but about the extant and type of "differences". In other words, I think you could experience the same problems we are in a much smaller society that wasn't experiencing growth, but was "fractured" along similar lines.

As far as it being introduced, I don't know. It's an interesting question. Engineered or not, one could argue that our focus in on our differences rather than what we have in common and that the solution is re-focusing on our commonalities rather than our differences. It's possible, all I can say is that I see the "divides" themselves as real rather than imagined and the extant of those divides to be extensive, unbridgeable. But unbridgeable doesn't mean they couldn't possibly be deprioritized or ignored.

I don't know DC. I think the troubles we're seeing now are nothing compared to what we will see in the next couple of decades.

edit on 7-5-2017 by imwilliam because: spellin

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 10:25 AM
link   
a reply to: CulturalResilience

This is the result of seats of learning changing from being imparters of knowledge and wisdom, to informers of opinion and policy. The Frankfurt School Doctrine, if you will.

A la Michael Walsh in the "The Devil's Pleasure Palace"?

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Academia breeds fascism...because students don't know sh*t

The Khmer Rouge[its modern incarnation in mid 20th century Cambodi] comes to mind...
It began as a group of college students in Paris...
And eventually reached its inevitable conclusion, mass genocide...

Literal utopias tend to have the same end point: millions of dead...
But all those who died didn't believe in communist ideals so who cares, right?
Don't report those pesky facts, liberals:
Genocide muddies the narrative that liberal fascism, I mean governance, is super duper...

Anyhow, every communist on earth begins as an ignorant liberal...ironically many are highly "educated" but their tendencies still mirror the likes of inbred sociopathic yokels Pot, Castro or Che to name a few...
Agree with my utopian ideals or die....how progressive.

-Chris

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Fascism is coming to America draped in Religion, as it often does. The war against free speech by the Trump administration is just the tip of the iceberg. Churches can now engage in political propaganda while remaining tax free.

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 10:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: DJW001

Fascism is coming to America draped in Religion, as it often does. The war against free speech by the Trump administration is just the tip of the iceberg. Churches can now engage in political propaganda while remaining tax free.

I thought your post was going to say Facism is coming to America draped in a rainbow. That would have made for a very interesting and divisive motif.
edit on 7-5-2017 by CulturalResilience because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 10:44 AM
link   
a reply to: DJW001

Fascism doesn't have to come from just one direction.

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 10:45 AM
link   

You just contradicted yourself .And negated your post...

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Fascism is coming to America draped in Religion, as it often does.

Yes, if we could just put all those pesky Christians in camps, we could avoid the sort of Fascist unpleasantness that Germany experienced during the 30's and 40's of the last century. I mean clearly those Christians are the problem

+1 more 
posted on May, 7 2017 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Yep; “When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross.”
Sinclair Lewis

From the OP's OPED: They are allowing their institutions to be taken over by a monolithic world view that is increasingly totalitarian and antithetical to the diversity of opinion on which the search for truth depends.

SHOULD READ: They are allowing their religious institutions to be taken over by a monolithic world view that is increasingly totalitarian and antithetical to the diversity of opinion on which the search for truth depends.

Academia, by its nature, challenges the status quo and fosters self examination. College campuses in the US have historically been catalysts for social evolution.

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 10:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Fascism doesn't have to come from just one direction.

Correct. The party now in power is embracing it and using religion and "economic liberation" as its excuses. All of the new policies are better for large corporations, bad for citizens.

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 10:47 AM
link   
a reply to: imwilliam

I think your right about that...

I think every stage of technology has made a different socioeconomic system the most efficient option..

For the hunter gatherer stage "x" system worked best..
For early agriculture "Y" worked best..

Once we got to the Industrial Age and early computer age it has been capitalism.

As technology makes human labor less and less needed we get to come up with something else...

And it will take a butt load of pain before we do that...

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 10:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: imwilliam

Fascism is coming to America draped in Religion, as it often does.

Yes, if we could just put all those pesky Christians in camps, we could avoid the sort of Fascist unpleasantness that Germany experienced during the 30's and 40's of the last century. I mean clearly those Christians are the problem

Christians are being put in camps if they speak Spanish.

+4 more 
posted on May, 7 2017 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Fascism is coming to America draped in Religion, as it often does. The war against free speech by the Trump administration is just the tip of the iceberg. Churches can now engag

e in political propaganda while remaining tax free.

Only your assertion is about a year too late because facism has already arrived and religion had nothing to do with it.

Plus aren't close to half of Americans aethiest?

The denial and deflection is so typical.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join