It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

X-37B lands after 719 days

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 11:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

What of potential military applications from this experiment?

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 11:10 AM
link   
For now after 4 flight , is it the time to build a bigger follow on X-37B something in the 12/14 meters of lenght and more payload capacity, a sort Orbital UAV sentinel abble to do a lot of mission in space.

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 11:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Arnie123

good question.
don't know if it's weaponized but nice to have a movable platform in space to monitor different areas (North Korea this week, Syria next week).

wouldn't take much to nudge an enemy sat out of orbit.

useful for emergency com link in case of failure of a unit.

I'm sure plenty more I can't think of.

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 11:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

The X37B is a secret military unmanned mini-space shuttle, which as been orbiting the Earth for nearly two years on its fourth flight.

What did it 'shuttle' back from orbit?

I wonder...

The X37B 's weapons bay was empty after destroying the ICBM test in North Korea. It time to reload. Lol

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 12:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
a reply to: grey580

This mission mounted ion thrusters for their first space flight on one of the craft.

Did I understand you correctly, the AF's X37B is, or at least, has functioned as,

An Ion powered Orbital Transfer Vehicle (OTV)?

If so, I will be very impressed.

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 12:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Bhadhidar

They tested new Hall thrusters. They're using the data they got back to build better ground based computer models, and to develop more efficient thrusters for the follow on AEHF satellites that are still going to be launched. Once they were in orbit, they used the thrusters to do a number of tests, and determine quite a few things.

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 12:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Arnie123

Mostly better sensors, and more efficient satellites.

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 12:43 PM
link   

I should pay more attention to things like this.

Back in the early 80's (82-83?) a group of us put together a little aerospace company to explore the development of an ion-powered OTV.

Folks thought we were nuts!

Big and fast was the rule back then.

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 12:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Bhadhidar

Right now, there are three AEHF satellites in orbit that are using ion thrusters. AEHF-1 used an ion thruster after the chemical engine failed, during an orbit change. AEHF-2 used a chemical engine to get up to just over 10,000 miles, and then an ion engine to go up to geosynch orbit. I think AEHF-3 didn't even have a chemical engine, and used all ion propulsion.

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 12:50 PM
link   

👍☺

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 12:58 PM
link   
This was pretty cool.

Once the command to return to Earth is given by the Air Force, the X-37B automatically descends from low earth orbit, reenters, and flies through the atmosphere to land on a planned runway. There is no one in a control room with a joystick flying it.

www.avgeekery.com...

OTV-5 will launch later this year, using vehicle #1.

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Man, I've been seeing triangle craft over north Texas on a ground track to take it over Miami.....I see em after mid nite

With the gain turned up on a gen 3 starlight thing........they have Utah at the other end of their ground track.....Amarillo at least.....

Saturday night, no Sunday morning I saw a strange one.....twice the size as usual.....I see em for 8 seconds, they're fast.....55k high or better......the big size span is really something to see

I'm curious bout this....did I see a 37

Time....3:59 am EST.....It went by ghostly in appearance., there's no lights, it has the same look as a bat or moth........fast, 2500 if at 55,000 MSL

Instead of overflying Dallas....they route directly over Blue Ridge vortac ....the old star route vortac for arrivals.....I know right where to look even, cool of em.......

editby]edit on 7-5-2017 by GBP/JPY because: Yup

edit on 7-5-2017 by GBP/JPY because: Coz yeah

edit on 7-5-2017 by GBP/JPY because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 02:19 PM
link   

The real replacement for the blackbird returns...

Yes, yes, I know it does more than just that...

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 02:34 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Very small materials. And data on the Hall thruster. Prolly plasma info too. TEOT's best guess!

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 02:42 PM
link   
a reply to: GBP/JPY

YES!!!

Nice sightings! They're really quick, huh? The one that I saw could go see-through on command. Did some other things I've not said on the threads either.

In Illinois, last year?? Maybe year before there was a sighting of a HUGE one. Like miles wide! Looked like an empirical Star cruiser with out the con tower in back (so the witness said).

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 02:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nickn3

originally posted by: intrptr

The X37B is a secret military unmanned mini-space shuttle, which as been orbiting the Earth for nearly two years on its fourth flight.

What did it 'shuttle' back from orbit?

I wonder...

The X37B 's weapons bay was empty after destroying the ICBM test in North Korea. It time to reload. Lol

Lol. five seconds after launch? That would have shown up on camera, been on the internet by now. My guess is they shuttle other nations super secret eavesdrop satellite tech back to earth for 'review'.

Ever wonder what was returned in the cargo bay on the org. space shuttle?

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Well, you'll like this.....

the cigar I saw over Dallas for twelve seconds was going steady in and out of cloak....on a ground track to go right over Love Field.......1999 or so

a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 05:27 PM
link   
this thing is probably outdated by now. i would like to imagine they have more high tech stuff we dont know about.

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Why the environmental suits for the runway crew?

I thought it was for potential radiation and assorted space germs,ghosts , alien entities...

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 06:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blackfinger

Why the environmental suits for the runway crew?

I thought it was for potential radiation and assorted space germs,ghosts , alien entities...

Perhaps because the propellants used for pitch, yaw and roll control are very nasty things (hydrazine, for example) and some may still be present as residue after landing?

new topics

top topics

active topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join