It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Korea Detains Another US citizen on Suspicion of Acts Against the State

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 07:35 AM
link   
North Korea have said they've detained US citizen Kim Hak Song on suspicion of acts against the state , Kim Hak Song was working at the Pyongyang University of Science and Technology.
No other details are available yet but perhaps this has something to do with the recent reports of kim jong un's fear of an assassination attempt by a foreign power.

North Korea said on Sunday it has detained another American citizen for suspicion of acts against the state, which if confirmed would make him the fourth U.S. citizen to be held by the isolated country amid diplomatic tensions.

Kim Hak Song, who was detained on May 6, worked for the Pyongyang University of Science and Technology, the North's KCNA news agency said. A third U.S. citizen, Kim Sang Dok, was detained in late April for hostile acts, according to the North's official media.

"A relevant institution of the DPRK detained American citizen Kim Hak Song on May 6 under a law of the DPRK on suspension of his hostile acts against it," KCNA said. DPRk is short for the Democratic People's Republic of Korea, the North's official name.
www.reuters.com...

The ball is in your court Mr President.

N Korea claims CIA plot to kill Kim Jong Um

edit on 7-5-2017 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 07:45 AM
link   
At some point, the State Dept. should issue a warning to all US citizens living/working/visting North Korea. I would think this would be the next step.

Then if the North continues to abduct/detain them, we recall them.
edit on 7-5-2017 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 07:45 AM
link   
This is Lil Kim throwing his weight around and harassing U.S. citizens because of the political BS between NK and the U.S.
It's his way of showing he can do what he wants to our people and the U.S. can't touch him. I doubt we'll ever see those people again, unless China steps in and negotiates their release for some heavy concessions on the part of the U.S.

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 07:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
At some point, the State Dept. should issue a warning to all US citizens living/working/visting North Korea. I would think this would be the next step.

I think a warning was issued in February but, some people don't listen.
travel.state.gov...
I'm sure the work being done by journalists, humanitarians, teachers etc is important and great work but at this time...foolish to be there IMO.

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 08:24 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

I think we will see them again. Kim is just grasping for leverage.

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 08:40 AM
link   
a reply to: TNMockingbird

There are always those who will go despite the risks. They're either very brave or very stupid depending on your point of view.

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 08:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

Was all ready done guess these guys decided to ignore it. Things are going to be bad for them with them making accusations of radioactive poisoning. And of course the threat to nuke the United States. He doesnt understand its these threats that causes the United States to have to act. Im betting plans are in place to take him out

travel.state.gov...
edit on 5/7/17 by dragonridr because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Hes a idiot then.

You have to be a pretty dumb American to fly to North Korea at this moment in time.......

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 09:10 AM
link   

North Korea said on Sunday it has detained another American citizen for suspicion of acts against the state, which if confirmed would make him the fourth U.S. citizen to be held by the isolated country amid diplomatic tensions.

Anything to raise tensions , 'amid rising diplomatic tensions'.

Isolation is right. Go figure, the North Koreans are the most embargoed, blockaded, sanctioned and spied upon country in the US cross hairs (over half a century) and they know it.

But the MSM (even here) will be quick to tell you the isolation is all North Koreas 'fault'.

blaming the victims...

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 10:51 AM
link   
I say if you are dumb enough to think it's a good idea to go work/hang out in North Korea, you are officially on your own. North Korea can keep him. We have enough idiots here.

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 10:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok
Hes a idiot then.

You have to be a pretty dumb American to fly to North Korea at this moment in time.......

Agreed. This is like walking in the jungle and getting pissed at the tiger for eating you.

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 11:39 AM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

Apparently he was on a mission , a Christian mission.

Kim Hak-song had previously described himself as a Christian missionary who intended to start an experimental farm at PUST, Reuters news agency reported, citing an online post by Mr Kim.
PUST is a university that mostly teaches the children of North Korea's elite.
It was founded in 2010 by a Korean-American Christian entrepreneur, with much of the costs funded by US and South Korea Christian charities.
Several foreign lecturers are thought to teach at the university.
www.bbc.co.uk...

Still pretty dumb when you know the country's stance on those who spread the word.

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 11:40 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Then he is a even bigger idiot.
edit on 7-5-2017 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Religion: helping you win stupid prizes since forever.

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Anyone who would want to visit let alone work in North Korea is taking a huge risk! You have to be stupid to step foot in that country. Dennis Rodman is a perfect example.

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 12:09 PM
link   
a reply to: WeRpeons

I would like to visit North Korea but I wouldn't want to live there , I think the culture clash between my norm and theirs would be interesting.

edit on 7-5-2017 by gortex because: Spelling

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 12:26 PM
link   
The situation in North Korea is pretty bad. Soldiers are told to make their own food (plant beans and keep goats). But aren't given the means to do so. Their diet is very bad. And to top it off soldiers are raiding people's homes and stealing food. They steal petro from the army tanks and vehicles, replace it with water, and sell it to make money.

And with the right amount of money they sell off state secrets to the highest bidder.

Was just watching an interesting documentary about it on YouTube. If any of it has any truth. Kim Jung Um has good reason to be paranoid. But methinks it is of his own people. The only way to keep them in line is through fear and aggression. And most of us know what happens when a cruel owner treats his dog harshly all the time. One day the dog turns on the hand that feeds him out of sheer desperation.

In any event, why would anyone in their right mind want to knowingly walk into North Korea with the way it is set up? Like a poster above said, it's either very brave, or very stupid. I would tend toward the latter. It's leader is insane. And perhaps he doesn't know any better? I don't know. But it is obvious he has some kind of mental derangement that is probably never going to be fixed. Probably got it from his father and grandfather.

How could a normal human being feel justified to treat other people, let alone hold onto power the way they do? Force everyone to have an image of you? Throw them into concentration camps and do the most horrible things imaginable to them, for even the smallest of offensives, or for no reason at all? Censor all news and education. I realize that happens in the rest of the world. But there, you can be murdered by the government for even trying to get information other than is state sanctioned.

Stay out! And if you're in there, I feel really sorry for you. Get out if you can!

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 12:55 PM
link   

I believe there was probably an assassination attempt against him, but more likely than not it was by one of his own people. It is much easier to blame us, and behind closed doors kill the parties who really made the attempt.

At this point in time, you have to be blind to not see NKorea, is no place for an American. That is probably the last place on earth I would want to be right now.

Now Little Kim is saying they ARE going to attack, Don't they have to get their missiles off the ground first? LOL.

Seriously though, Never underestimate the enemy!!!

edit on 7-5-2017 by kurthall because: add

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 01:58 PM
link   
a reply to: kurthall

I don't underestimate Mr Kim , he has the capability to kill many many people.
I don't think he will attack but he will respond.

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 05:28 PM
link   
honestly i hope trump does something. north koreans are so backwards. only some freedom from the sky will smarten them up.
edit on 7-5-2017 by JourneymanWelder because: words

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join