It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stephen Fry To Be Investigated For Blasphemy

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2017 @ 03:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Raggedyman

originally posted by: SprocketUK

originally posted by: Raggedyman
a reply to: SprocketUK

Try this
If a person wanted to be members in those communist parties, they HAD to be atheists

And if you wanted to take your kids to live in Jonestown, you had to be Christian. I don't see the point you are trying to make...Are you conflating atheism with communism in such a way because you don't like either? I bet the USA is chock full of athiests who despise commies.

Jonestown, a few delusional Americans

Pol Pot, Stalin, Mao. Millions and millions dead under a communism system based on atheism
The point, atheism does not make a good political system, it hasnt and it wont
We are societies, only stupid people prone to stupid actions cant get along with people with a different opinion

Fry is stupid, he insulted many people when he mouthed off, he sbuttocks.ve said, "with respect I dont believe in any gods and dont want to offend people so wont comment", but no, he wants to be controversial and hip, he is a fading star trying to stay relevant

That's complete rubbish. Fry is not a stupid person at all. He's always had this attitude and so have many other people. Some of them even founded the USA way back in the day. You can go plant your red anti freedom star firmly straight up your steaming, dictatorial minded buttocks.

posted on May, 9 2017 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Irish police have dropped their blasphemy investigation against Stephen Fry.

Police in the Republic of Ireland are no longer investigating a claim that British comedian Stephen Fry uttered blasphemous remarks on a TV show. Irish media say the Garda dropped the case as there was no injured party.
www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on May, 9 2017 @ 10:50 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Bahaha!
I called that all the way through this thread LMAO!
I bet the authoritarian loving types who posted here will #ing hate it.
Blasphemy law FFS, even the Irish police can see it as a ridiculous law.
Proper funny

posted on May, 11 2017 @ 04:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: Woodcarver

originally posted by: namelesss

originally posted by: hutch622
a reply to: Chadwickus

In order for it to be blasphemous wouldn't you first have to prove that god existed .

Nope.
For 'blasphemy' to exist, the existence of God must be assumed/accepted.
And in certain societies, that is exactly the case; no 'proof' necessary.
And what other concepts do you accept from people with no proof?

You err.
I am talking logic, here.
Good logic is it's own proof(unrefuted/refutable).
Good logic says that "For 'blasphemy' to exist, the existence of God must be assumed/accepted.".
God is inherent in the definition of 'blasphemy'.
And in various societies, 'blasphemy' is inherent in the notion of 'God'.
The existence of 'good' guarantees the existence of 'evil'.
Definitionally.
Capisce'?
What I might or might not accept is irrelevent to the logic involved.
I might not accept 'blasphemy' or a 'God', but the logic is spot on! *__-

posted on May, 11 2017 @ 04:36 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Sanity prevails then.

It would have been awesome to see him lay the smack down though

posted on May, 11 2017 @ 07:38 AM
link   

Lol, it would have been fantastic entertainment and embarrassing for Ireland for sure.

posted on May, 11 2017 @ 02:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex

Police in the Republic of Ireland are no longer investigating a claim that British comedian Stephen Fry uttered blasphemous remarks on a TV show. Irish media say the Garda dropped the case as there was no injured party.
www.bbc.co.uk...

Thank God

posted on May, 11 2017 @ 02:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kandinsky

originally posted by: gortex

www.bbc.co.uk...

Thank God

Thread, right there!

posted on May, 11 2017 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Just wow.

Jesus didn't rise from the dead was probably married to Mary, father'd children and might have been a rebel commander against the Romans, and Mohamed was a child molester and murderer. Abraham was a lunatic. Oh let's ad the forth, L Rn Hubbard had a stupid hat.

There now which countries can't I go into and be tried for Blasphemy?

posted on May, 11 2017 @ 02:32 PM
link   
a reply to: SprocketUK

posted on May, 11 2017 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Im not from the isles, but my perception of Ireland is that it is basically the Welsh and Christian version of what you find in the middle east. Or, was like that in the very recent past.

posted on May, 11 2017 @ 03:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

Im not from the isles, but my perception of Ireland is that it is basically the Welsh and Christian version of what you find in the middle east. Or, was like that in the very recent past.

The Republic is mainly Catholic and the North more mixed with a slight majority of Protestants. The North is where there tends to be an issue.

I always got the impression that the Cath/Prod thing was more a result of the Nationalist/Unionist divide along those lines, rather than something that started out as religious.

If anything, the animosity is probably worse in places like Glasgow when there is an old firm game coming up.

posted on May, 11 2017 @ 04:57 PM
link   
The TV presenter, Gaye Byrne could easily have taken a minute or two to research Stephen Fry's religious views; which are hardly a mystery. There's a whole section on his Wikipedia page
" Views on religion[edit] Fry has repeatedly expressed opposition to organised religion, and has identified himself as an atheist and humanist"

[If you're going to start in on me about Wikipedia, save it. The OP cited the Daily Mail...]

So given that information he (Byrne) could have easily looked up a hundred other sources, and clips which would clearly define Fry's views. Fry simply responded to a question he was asked (and a loaded one at that! The premise was that God's existence was a given, and not subject to scrutiny), and answered in a familiar manner to every other time he's responded to similar questions.

If anything, Byrne should be booked for inciting. If he didn't know Fry was an atheist, then he's no journalist. If he did know, he would have known that the response was going to be controversial.

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 01:08 AM
link   
"I'd like to call God to the stand please... All of them."

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 02:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Chadwickus
Just when things couldn't get more absurd..

Without turning this into a religious debate, this is utterly ridiculous, blasphemy is punishable?

I shake my head!

Without turning this into a religious debate, this is utterly ridiculous, freedom of speech is punishable?

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 08:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Azureblue

There is no 'real' freedom of speech in most European countries.
The UK for example has a catch all law regarding threatening, abusive, or insulting words and behaviour.

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 03:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand

There is no 'real' freedom of speech in most European countries.
The UK for example has a catch all law regarding threatening, abusive, or insulting words and behaviour.

I fear this trend will spread to all countires.

those who hold the “nothing to hide” belief are most likely to self-censor anyway.

We are living in a less free society all the time, bit by bit. More and more small numbers of people are directing and controlling the lives of the masses by slowly funneling down their choices and options.

My generation will not notice much of this narrowing down of choices and options, the sheeple are bliss, but the next generation will slowly come to the realisation that are more and more they are taking on the characteristics of being owned and or controlled.

If we install doubt into people that the govts and authorities are there to look after you and not control you, the less people will trust them. Not recognising this, I fear this is the mistake the entire population of people who are awake, make.
edit on 13-5-2017 by Azureblue because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 06:52 AM
link   

Very good points but I don't think it's as bad as you may fear, certainly not in the UK.
I argue often with my member of parliament on twitter, called him a warmonger over the last decision to bomb Syria. I criticise our constitutional monarchy constantly, and call all religions equally ridiculous without fear of government censorship.

All I really can't do is incite hatred etc, which is how bigots get away with it by carefully wording their statements.
Example, a bigot could say "Islam is a vile religion because..." and that would be legal, but "Followers of Islam are vile scumbags" would definitely be on thin legal ice if somebody complained.

The law is certainly subjective and ambiguous, but I guess I'm used to it so negotiating the legislation is second nature.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join