It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stephen Fry To Be Investigated For Blasphemy

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 08:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: RexKramerPRT
a reply to: Raggedyman

Was Jesus not just the messenger, prophet if you will, the same as Mohammed.?

Have you ever heard of the Trinity

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 08:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Chadwickus

There are laws against blasphemy? In developed countries?

My God! (pun not intended, but I'll take it)

Would someone kindly stop the planet? Please? I'd like to get off now...

TheRedneck

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Yeah, invented in the new testament.
The old testament Bible God is the same deity as Allah and Yahweh.

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 08:40 AM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

Nope, just a silly law in backwards religious Ireland.
Pretty much all developed nations have adopted incitement to hatred laws and dropped the ridiculous blasphemy thing.

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 08:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Raggedyman

originally posted by: RexKramerPRT

Was Jesus not just the messenger, prophet if you will, the same as Mohammed.?

Have you ever heard of the Trinity
Do you mean the single most ridiculous concept ever created by religion? Yes, yes everyone has heard of this.

Are you a Christian though? Do you believe in the concept of the Trinity?
edit on 7-5-2017 by Woodcarver because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 08:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand

Yeah, invented in the new testament.
The old testament Bible God is the same deity as Allah and Yahweh.

As I said
I think you are wrong
The issue is subjective, especialy where Allah differs from The Jewish and Christian deity

Maybe do your own research

Allah was a moon God, no more

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 08:43 AM
link   
a reply to: crayzeed

Allah is the Arabic word for God, not the name of God. Yahweh is name of God in Judaism. It is the same God as Christians worship. The God of Abraham. That's why they are called the Abrahamic religions.

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 08:47 AM
link   

I've done my research over decades, it is the reason I don't believe any claims of deities, from Abrahamic to Zoroastrian and every thing in between.

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 09:10 AM
link   

You have just walked off the edge. Can you name the three Abrahamic religions?
edit on 7-5-2017 by Woodcarver because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 09:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Woodcarver

I'm surprised any religious person wouldn't know the Abrahamic God thing shared by the three.
Even Muslims know this, their main difference/arguments are born of the alleged prophets.
All equally silly when there is zero evidence to back any claims up.

*edit*
As silly as blasphemy laws in stone age Ireland lol
edit on 7.5.2017 by grainofsand because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Imagine that. Mediaeval law supersedes common sense, but then again, I suppose that is the Irish for you.

The belief in a deity that created the universe and everything in it is nothing more than an idea, and we all know, that an idea cannot be forced upon you. Ideas are to be looked at objectively, scrutinised, and if found wanting, as the belief in a deity is, it can be criticised and rejected. Unless of course, you are all willing to accede to having someone else's thoughts and thinking forced upon you?

Religion is the following of the tenets of a faith which is separate from personal belief. Following a religion, one must submit to the creed and the dogma of that religion, even when the creed and dogma does not sit well in your conscience, even as the claims made by that religion are ludicrous and utterly outrageous.

If someone tries to force their idea on you, what do you do? Well, firstly you reject it and you reject them. If they persist with laws, you obviously ignore the law, if they insist on punitive punishment, you fight back, because then it has become a situation where you have to stand up for your idea/s or you will be enslaved.

No one, not a single person, not a tribe or community, nor government can force you to accept an idea, as it attacks and erodes the very concept of freedom. Blasphemy is nothing more than a means to shut down criticism of any religion, especially when it should be criticised. There isn't a single religious concept that isn't ridiculous, so of course it needs arguing with.

Religions assert their claims with no evidence, and as Christopher Hitchens would say..."That which can be asserted without evidence, can equally be dismissed without evidence."

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 09:59 AM
link   
a reply to: elysiumfire

There's no way this is going to court though, Ireland would be a laughing stock to the rest of the developed world.
Fry is quite the orator and famous enough the UK media will ridicule the blasphemy law as talking heads are already doing right now.
I would love to see his day in court though, he'd destroy any cross examination for sure.

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 10:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Chadwickus
Just when things couldn't get more absurd..

Irish police are investigating Stephen Fry for blasphemy after he called God an 'utter maniac' who is 'mean-minded and stupid' on television, it has been reported.

A viewer reported the offence after the comedian spoke about God during an interview with Irish broadcaster RTE in February 2015.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

Without turning this into a religious debate, this is utterly ridiculous, blasphemy is punishable?

I shake my head!

Mel Brooks "The History of the World part 2' ,
"The Inquisition" started playing in my head. I guess they are taking their ideas back on tour. They should not be doing so since the Imams say speaking this way about the guy they call a prophet would be blasphemy and we can all agree that is a BS position. IMO God gets to decide what is blasphemy and punishable when we meet him upon our death's, not mankind.

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 11:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: DerBeobachter

originally posted by: gortex
a reply to: Chadwickus

Absolute nonsense , surely the Irish police have better things to do.
Here's what Stephen Fry had to say in person.

It's his opinion which in a free thinking democracy he is entitled to.
He is of course right.

I saw that video when it was fresh... AND I LOVED(and love) IT!
Just because he is right!

Well I'm going to play Devil's Advocate here , listen again to what he says , it is pure blasphemy , he spews forth hatred , in spite of the fact he clearly offending the interviewer , in a deeply religious country . Right up on his high horse he is , playing holier than thou , to God of all things , and everybody who dares to beleive in it . As if he'd spit on them if he could .

I have to say , God or not , I personally found him pretty damned offensive . Life is not all bad ffs ! . He is just as much a parasite as any tetsi fly . He'd get a flea in his ear off of me . Take him to the cleaners I say , the jumped up tw%t

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 11:53 AM
link   
a reply to: ZIPMATT

Lol remind me to chuckle when it doesn't even get to court and he refuses the offer of a police caution.
This will be dropped or Ireland will be a laughing stock

...and so what if it's a religious country, religious belief doesn't automatically deserve respect, do you respect Wahhabism?

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 12:29 PM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

nah, I was advocating devilism with a dash of natural trollishness . But , people need respecting , and he could be done for inciting religious hatred in _ this country , eh ?
Seriously I'm the first person to take the piss out of the ridiculous sh1t that religions come up with . I'd stop at offending people deeply like he does though , (their bad education isn't their fault remember) .
And I definitely wouldn't try saying that God was evil etc , like he does - that is properly nasty at the end of the day.
I mean , that child with bone cancer , you wouldn;t go and tell him or her and their parents , like , "life is sh1t , there's no God , and you've got no hope , cos I'm telling you so" . But he would do that ? The nasty mfr man . Atheists - what have they got but downright negativity ? I always say , suffering is temporal and death is the door out of it . But that wouldnt fit with atheist bitterness would it , it's all moan moan moan , Gods a wan9er , if he exists . It does nt wash with me , I think they're twats full of hate mainly

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Lol inciting religious hatred wouldn't wash from what he said. He was slagging down the alleged god, not advocating people persecute believers.
I agree to a certain extent because if there was a god who can do anything then the entity is a # for letting the horrors of the world go on, and inventing horrific illnesses.

Let's also remember this 'god' is claimed to have intervened thousands of years ago with miracles...21st century, crickets, nothing, nada.

I have no respect for a god that created diseases which kill millions, and I have no respect for any religious belief, I only respect the right to believe and the right to ridicule said beliefs.

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 01:57 PM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

I differ - he was persecuting beleivers himself , and was insinuating against the Abrahamic traditions . The ridicule is poured upon the _people who beleive in god , "we have to bow down ...?"

Remember he doesn't beleive in God himself , therefore his attack is on those that do . Its a fair inculcation .
On 21st century miracles , I reckon Moses et al would have been pretty impressed with smartphones and planes , no ?
And on suffering , it is temporal only , and if it's that bad , then death is the door away . Your average dootor is an atheist nowadays , and they're the ones forcing it to be prolonged all the time , perhaps not in Switzerland though .
I don't blame bombings on God , I blame people for that too . Bad education again .
And when it comes to diseases , pigs don't feel at ease while we line them up for bacon and chops , it's a case of what goes around comes around - this day I eat you , and another you eat me . Everyones got to live , its not all human this and human that : there's probably alien life out there too . Atheists are looking for an excuse to besmirch others' intelligence and decry their experiences . And , atheists never cure grief , they just add on pain , nasty beggars sometimes , Gervais . Paid nasties too

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 02:13 PM
link   

He wasn't really.

Fry was highlighting the negative aspects of a 'God' who apparently answers prayers whilst hospices are full of terminally ill children. Or the God who gave Job 'the treatment.' The one who visited plagues on people and, apparently, created a big burny place for the overwhelming majority of his creations to spend Eternity. If he turned up in Heaven, it'd follow that Hell was a few degrees south of the Pearly Gates, right? Wouldn't it be hard to reconcile the 'loving God' with the one who designed and built the furnaces?

He was voicing his own interpretation rather than 'persecuting believers.'

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 02:22 PM
link   

He stated his opinion, and his ridicule couldn't in any rational way be interpreted as inciting hatred towards believers under UK legislation.
He may have broken Irish law with its bizarre blasphemy element, but aside from them and places like Pakistan he'd be good to go with what he said.

I understand you may not like what he said, but in the overwhelming majority of developed countries it would not be even close to a crime.

I don't think they will charge him for a moment but I'd love to see that case in court, it would be fantastic entertainment for sure.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join