It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stephen Fry To Be Investigated For Blasphemy

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 07:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand
a reply to: Raggedyman

Meh, I'd bet all my money he won't be charged, it'll just be quietly dropped in a few weeks.
And good luck to Fry, he wouldn't face jail time if it did end up in court, that would be absolutely ridiculous, and for sure he can cover the fine.

I also suspect he'd enjoy his day in court.

I dont doubt for a second, he will be charged, given a slap on the wrist with a silk glove and asked politely to not do it again.
The government can't ignore its own laws, it's wrong.

The issue is, will Ireland change its laws.
He is small fry in this issue

Sory for that pun

edit on 7-5-2017 by Raggedyman because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 07:13 AM
link   

a reply to: SprocketUK

And isn't it crazy that Ireland created the blasphemy law in the OP the year after the UK abolished its own.
Ireland is backwards generally with religion and legislation, abortion for another example with thousands of women having to get it done on mainland Britain every year.

Yeah, anytime the religious get a say in law making, it's a mess for the ordinary person who pays their taxes.

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 07:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: CulturalResilience
a reply to: Chadwickus

It would be a very different story if he had said that very same thing about a certain other religions deity.

The Abrahamic religions share the same deity, just not the alleged prophets.
Did you not know that?

That's very subjective and flippant
Really, it's just flat out wrong

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 07:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: SprocketUK

And isn't it crazy that Ireland created the blasphemy law in the OP the year after the UK abolished its own.
Ireland is backwards generally with religion and legislation, abortion for another example with thousands of women having to get it done on mainland Britain every year.

Yeah, anytime the religious get a say in law making, it's a mess for the ordinary person who pays their taxes.

Yeah because atheist systems, Stalin, Mao, Pol Pot, Lil Kim, they make them good laws
Atheist fundamentalists are as bad as christian fundamentalists on ats

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 07:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Chadwickus

I think the best thing that could happen would be to take this to court. If I were fry I would demand to have this heard by a judge. It's the fastest way to get these stupid laws torn apart. Break it down, in a court of law, under transcript, so that everyone can see how stupid this # is. I'm tired of religion hiding behind government and the government protecting them And their adherents from having their feelings hurt.

I would not doubt that this is a calculated move by Fry, I have heard other atheists talking about giving God his day in court. Perhaps this was all part of his plan. Draw in some blasphemy charges and bring your argument to court. This puts the atheist movement right in the spotlight. And look at all of the well spoken atheist orators who would just love to set a precedent like this. This needs to be done in every country with silly blasphemy laws. Put the Bible under litigious scrutiny, and see if it can support itself when compared to modern Scientific understanding's. my guess is that this will never see the inside of a courtroom.

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 07:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: Raggedyman

Yeah because atheist systems, Stalin, Mao, Pol Pot, Lil Kim, they make them good laws

Daft comparison.

Religion is personal. Shouldn't ever be put onto someone else's existence as a law.

Hell, thanks to religion, not so long ago it was legal for a man to rape his wife in the UK.

Abide by your own moral code when it comes to yourself, but the moment you project it onto the wider world, then it becomes a problem.

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 07:23 AM
link   

Lol @ your pun.
I really don't think the police will present a case to their prosecution service. They have to investigate because someone complained but I'd be shocked if they prosecuted.
Ireland is already being ridiculed by UK media, any court case would be entertainment gold and they would be a laughing stock.

I'd bet everything the police quietly drop it, lets see who is right in a few weeks I guess.

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 07:25 AM
link   
So much for small government.

What happened to Christians being persecuted? Who's really being persecuted? Anyone who speaks out against conservative dogma.

link   
a reply to: grainofsand

First they'd have to extradite him to Ireland, no?

link   

Those are all communist systems, not atheist systems.

I would love to see a government system created by modern atheists.
edit on 7-5-2017 by Woodcarver because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 07:26 AM
link   

Are you saying Jews, Christians, and Muslims worship a different deity?
They just use a different name and disagree about their prophets.
Or please do explain which bit you disagree with?

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 07:29 AM
link   
a reply to: TheConstruKctionofLight

He'd go willingly for his day in court, no need for extradition.

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 07:44 AM
link   

Meh, I'd bet all my money he won't be charged, it'll just be quietly dropped in a few weeks.
And good luck to Fry, he wouldn't face jail time if it did end up in court, that would be absolutely ridiculous, and for sure he can cover the fine.

I also suspect he'd enjoy his day in court.

I dont doubt for a second, he will be charged, given a slap on the wrist with a silk glove and asked politely to not do it again.
The government can't ignore its own laws, it's wrong.

The issue is, will Ireland change its laws.
He is small fry in this issue

Sory for that pun
If they do charge him he will get his day in court. If you're familiar with Stephen Fry at all, Then you know what a well spoken and intelligent orator he is. This interview happened a very long time ago. Which would have given him a chance to speak with other atheists and lawyers about how to best handle this, and help to build the best argument he can make.

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 07:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Woodcarver

The court case would be hilarious!
I almost hope they are silly enough to charge him just for the amusement.
And I really hope Irish criminal courts allow cameras.

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 07:52 AM
link   
The law was introduced in Ireland in a misguided attempt at censorship.

To protect the feelings of The Religion of Peace mostly.

It is the Atheists in Ireland that brought Mr. Frys remarks to public attention.

Ireland needs better protection for Free Speech.

Not more censorship.

Prosecuting Mr. Fry is not being seriously suggested.

The Atheists are just drawing attention to a stupid law.

Politicians in Ireland are as stupid as politicians anywhere else.

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 07:55 AM
link   

Lol @ your pun.
I really don't think the police will present a case to their prosecution service. They have to investigate because someone complained but I'd be shocked if they prosecuted.
Ireland is already being ridiculed by UK media, any court case would be entertainment gold and they would be a laughing stock.

I'd bet everything the police quietly drop it, lets see who is right in a few weeks I guess.

Let's hope you are right

As for the Christian God, we call Him Jesus...ok

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 07:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: Woodcarver

Those are all communist systems, not atheist systems.

I would love to see a government system created by modern atheists.

Of course, communists, not atheists at all were they?
Because atheists are all so wonderful?

Sell your lies to those true believers, Communisms foundation was atheism
Go google, quick now

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 08:03 AM
link   

Daft comparison.

Religion is personal. Shouldn't ever be put onto someone else's existence as a law.

Hell, thanks to religion, not so long ago it was legal for a man to rape his wife in the UK.

Abide by your own moral code when it comes to yourself, but the moment you project it onto the wider world, then it becomes a problem.

No it's not daft, it just triggers you
Communism is built on atheism
Go research communism and atheism, get a decent argument and refute me
Evidence

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Was Jesus not just the messenger, prophet if you will, the same as Mohammed.?

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 08:20 AM
link   
a reply to: RexKramerPRT

Yes, the old testament God deity for Christians is the same as Allah for Muslims, and Yahweh for Jews.

edit on 7.5.2017 by grainofsand because: typo

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join