It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Attempted suicide on Facebook Live

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2017 @ 11:40 AM
link   
a reply to: zosimov

Hi zosi.

To say that social media and technology is the sole reason for what's going on would be incorrect, but I believe it's much more significant than most will admit. I think parenting might be the most important thing of all when determining how and where a young teen will end up. But with parents now a days being so distracted and busy, leaving kids essentially by themselves with their phones, it's easy to see how and where things can go wrong.

posted on May, 6 2017 @ 11:43 AM
link   
people who jump off bridges and survive all say one thing. the first thought they think about is, 'i should not have done this...'

if you are trapped in a burning building, and you jump off a 40 store window not to burn, i can get suicide.

hell if you are in drastic pain from disesease i can get suicide.

suicide from depression or stress you gotta get help. because life is stress you just gotta survive that moment because the next day you could seriously hit the lotto.

posted on May, 6 2017 @ 12:03 PM
link   
www.trustedreviews.com...

This is a link that indicates the problems of interweb security and comfortability. Not only are these devices seen as tools that are digging humans out of danger and the hold backs of the past primitive times and as a primary crutch to living life, but the technology is so successful that the influenced now train the children to use it as a crutch from the earliest of years.

Oh how great it is to be able to photo capture every little thing that happens in life... or is it? There was over 1 TRILLION photos taken in 2015 alone. That matches or exceeds the entire amount of photos taken between the invention of the camera and the release of phone with cameras. Think about that... pre webs, people took photos to mark momentous occasions... to make a connection to another human go unlost. It's quite the opposite now... today's there's an overload of photos, that people could care less about how it attached to the moment of human history.

This is a solid test to see if your phone means too much to your life. If you leave your house for a full work day, and realize you're going to be late if you go back to get your phone. Are you able to leave the phone at home, or does a return trip for the phone become mandatory? If it becomes mandatory to go out into the world with the phone, or you'd sooner forget your head before your phone... then I'd go ahead and indicate that addiction is present, and that the values of the phone being passed onto other humans is not of good intention and are biased in nature. It causes a bit of dis-attachment to other humans in general. These are the people typically shopping for tablets to give to children. I could care less if my phone is destroyed... I often go days without even a care to turn it on.

I'm not trying to say that I am able to connect with other humans easier because of my lack of care for the interwebs... I'm merely saying that I at least have the time in my day to look around and be aware of what's going on around me. The awareness of what's going on around me is what expands on my views that people are buried DEEP in those things. It's just too heart wrenching to stand next to a human in distress as I swipe through a world of 1's and 0's to make coping with the world around me easier... it's nothing but an education to others, that feelings can go away or get less hurtful if they are covered up with digital/superficial info.

posted on May, 6 2017 @ 12:08 PM
link   
a reply to: ttobban

A great point to add to that is that recieving a text, like, or a comment release's dopamine in your brain and you get a high from it, even here on ATS. So it's no different from a drug.

So it's easy to understand how people can be so attached and so dependant on their phones.

posted on May, 6 2017 @ 12:18 PM
link   
a reply to: knowledgehunter0986

Exactly! These devices are no different than drugs... in fact, they are electronic drugs. And, what are drugs known to do? You already know... that's why you made this amazing thread... it's NUMB. Drugs numb... and electronic devices are drugs. I use it to get high like everyone else... it's cheap and quite awesome to have info and access instantly to all humans around the globe.

With me, I keep the electronic numbness to personal use. Meaning, I keep a phone around on the chance I'd like to use the info... but I have zero plans to change my life as a human based on this instant info feed reel that removes emotional output of myself. This also snowballs into the usage traits I developed being passed on to young ones around me... that don't know any differently. You will never see me spend time buried in electronics when children are around... because it teaches them that electronics are secondary at best, when compared to human connection.

It's so far gone now though... that I would be a full advocate for devices not being allowed in public areas. I know this is an extreme view and likely never even a chance for it to occur will be realized, but to trust adults as a whole to shift their developed minds on it to a whole new usage scheme is likely to not occur in positive ways.

posted on May, 6 2017 @ 12:26 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

I think the Japanese have the right idea... its still considered an honorable death over there.
They even have their own forest for such. Away from the general public.

posted on May, 6 2017 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Everyone wants to be famous/recognized. It doesnt seem to matter for what though.

posted on May, 6 2017 @ 12:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Brian4real
a reply to: TinySickTears

I think the Japanese have the right idea... its still considered an honorable death over there.
They even have their own forest for such. Away from the general public.

i know about that forest.
imo there is no honor in death but our lives are the only thing that we truly own and we should be able to end it if we wish. no a popular opinion but thats how i feel.

of course the lines blur when you talk about underage kids but i like to focus on the adults.

posted on May, 6 2017 @ 12:32 PM
link   
a reply to: dantanna

Life is not stress... life is the greatest gift we have in the cosmos.

The rest of the points just feed the OP's points... that people aren't connecting directly to the hurt and depressed before getting to the point of wanting to hurt themselves. Not to say that it's going to ever stop... just saying that human emotional needs and the will to live or die can't be so easily attached to a few stats about people's thoughts when they jumped off a bridge, or how to get out of a burning building. Not really sure what you mean when you say, "I can get suicide." It sounds like you're trying to say suicide is something that's obtained???

Help for depression and or the chance of suicide does need help, yes. The question is, with everyone buried in electronics and void of human compassion, where are the avenues to get this needed help?

Not to mention... winning the lotto does not fix depression. Maybe that may be the case for you, but it take human connection to make depression lessen.
edit on 6-5-2017 by ttobban because: spelling

posted on May, 6 2017 @ 12:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Brian4real

That is a blanket statement, and certainly does not speak for everyone.

posted on May, 6 2017 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Social media brings out the narcissism in people. It really exacerbates what is already there. People can also project these fake lives online. There is only one reason to broadcast a suicide online and it is for attention.

Another thing I noticed is in the opposite direction but the broadcasting of death and misery. You have sites like liveleak which show all kinds of gore and whatnot from accidents, shootings, etc. People are getting really desensitized.

posted on May, 6 2017 @ 01:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: badw0lf
a reply to: theantediluvian

PS the bud dwyer video is one I'll never get out of my head.

Boom headshot.

Its sad though that people are doing crazy stuff to a audience these days.

posted on May, 6 2017 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Great that authorities were alerted right away. Reactions seem to be getting quicker, since it's appears to becoming a thing with FB Live unfortunately. Public viewers need to act not allow it to be a death circus. Doesn't FB have an alert for suicidal users? That should easily go over to the FB Live video section if that may encourage people more to help stop suicide rather and or both than just dialing 9/11.

posted on May, 6 2017 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Not saying I disagree, but hasn't it always been the same with traditional forms of media? I know it's chic and trendy to criticize social media, but let's be honest about it.

posted on May, 6 2017 @ 06:44 PM
link   
anyone see untraceable?

www.imdb.com...

FBI agent Jennifer Marsh is tasked with hunting down a seemingly untraceable serial killer who posts live videos of his victims on the Internet. As time runs out, the cat and mouse chase becomes more personal.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join