It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Attempted suicide on Facebook Live

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2017 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Li nk

Just in the nick of time

A teenage girl in Georgia who tried to commit suicide on Facebook Live this week is now recovering after the traumatic attempt, KFOR reported. 

The incident happened on Tuesday around 7:30pm in Macon, which is about an hour outside of Atlanta, when several Facebook users called 911. Luckily, sheriff's deputies were able to find the girl in time.

There are better days ahead, don't give up

She reportedly consumed pills and placed a plastic bag over her head, police say

What I've been saying for awhile now

'All social media is is a conduit for attention,' Davis said.

'Even in this tragic situation, this young lady was looking for attention, and thankfully, the right people were watching. … It could have been more tragic.' 

He added that numerous live-streaming suicide attempts have occurred since the Facebook Live feature launched last year, but this was the first ever instance in Bibb County.

'We are a voyeuristic society,' Davis said. 'It's really troubling that you have things like this, to have access to people being able to put something up live, as it happens...We see more often that it ends in regret.'

First of all, thank God people decided to call the cops right away and this didn't end tragically.

Lately I have been highlighting a lot of these cases with the premise that social media and society is playing a significant role in what we are witnessing. In my opinion there is no other reason to broadcast a murder or your suicide (or both) other than wanting attention, and wether that means you want to be seen, understood or send some type of message, it all leads back to us being in (imo) the most entitled and narcissistic era and that's largely due to social media. Having worked with troubled teens for quite some time now, I've seen first hand the role social media plays in one's life, especially teens without positive role models in the real world.

A lot of people have disagreed with me, saying that some people are just crazy and are wired differently. Sure, but in most cases it's not that simple and there are so many different dynamics and nuances, that can and will determine one's path, direction and destination.

Again, I'm not defending or finding excuses for all these people, I'm trying to put the pieces together and figure out why these things happen, so I will continue to highlight these cases because I believe this is an important discussion to have.

posted on May, 6 2017 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Yeah. It used to be serial killers (like the kinds they make movies about) would spawn from California's Hollywood attention hungry sort of culture. Now everyone can live out such narcissism right on their phones, anywhere. We're in deep snip in another 10 years...

posted on May, 6 2017 @ 10:45 AM
link   
i guess facebook live is the 2017 version of the suicide note.

people have been killing themselves since forever. now they have a way to broadcast it i guess.

kind of like the people that stand on a building ledge in front of a growing crowd

posted on May, 6 2017 @ 10:50 AM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

Never looked at it that way

But I'm wondering would some of these crimes or suicide's have taken place if there wasn't a place to broadcast it? I'm pretty sure for some, knowing it was going to be witnessed live pushed them over the edge just enough to do it.

posted on May, 6 2017 @ 10:51 AM
link   
a reply to: knowledgehunter0986

Well, this is sad... but we have to realize as we roll out welcome mats to technology, that the technologies cause more and more people to be unable to relate to people... on a person to person level.

I have been on a self social experiment for well over 15 years now... I go through life without attaching myself to the wide array of social media constructs available to people thee days... the only interweb dwelling I talk at is on this site. Well, as people welcomed the webs, it caused a bridge to occur between the empathy between humans in general.

As an example, I drive with no texting... I soak in the environment when I drive. There's times, frequently, that I will see a group of people (ages 13+) and will catch a person in the crowd that is clearly upset by something that is going on... the physical symptoms of depression are quite clear. Well, in group settings it commonly becomes unnoticed because people are occupied by their technology devices. There's been numerous times that I asked of one's well being because of these symptoms, because it was clear that nobody in the group was even aware of any concerns of this one person.

I bring up this point, because the technology is used to endorse personal empowerment and happiness... it does very little to connect to fellow humans, and the fact that we leave very little avenues for the depressed to be heard too leaves little argument to me, that people when reaching the levels of hurting themselves or worse, are taking to the areas that people dwell to get attention... because it's the only place it's offered at needed levels.

These technologies should be used to offer channels for people to connect easier... not so much as a conduit to escape from reality like is seen in these times. We have to learn, that we are teaching our kids to thrive in the webs... which means that they will go to the webs as a primary support system as well.

It's time technology is used to stop these crimes on youth... whether it be psychological assistance, trafficking, you name it. The kids are using it in negative ways, because the adults are steering them there.

posted on May, 6 2017 @ 10:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears

people have been killing themselves since forever. now they have a way to broadcast it i guess.

kind of like the people that stand on a building ledge in front of a growing crowd

People have been committing suicide live on camera for near or over a decade now. Well before facebook.

:/

first link I found, but I've seen ones before, where dicks on forums mocked them, even after they realised it was real.

www.dailymail.co.uk...
edit on 6/5/2017 by badw0lf because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2017 @ 10:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: knowledgehunter0986

Never looked at it that way

But I'm wondering would some of these crimes or suicide's have taken place if there wasn't a place to broadcast it? I'm pretty sure for some, knowing it was going to be witnessed live pushed them over the edge just enough to do it.

hard to say. probably something we will never know.
im sure your right. im sure for some this is the 2017 version of the cry for help as well.

we all know that a lot of suicide attempts are not legit attempts. just cries for help. you can see it in the stutter cuts.

posted on May, 6 2017 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Pretty sad insedent glad they called the police,, if this keeps happening FB will have to review the Live cast.

posted on May, 6 2017 @ 10:59 AM
link   
a reply to: ttobban

These technologies should be used to offer channels for people to connect easier... not so much as a conduit to escape from reality

You made some very excellent points and I agree with everything you said.

I too have stopped using social media and this is the only site I'm on as well.

As for the direction we are heading now with technology in general, it doesn't look like things will get any better, only worse.

posted on May, 6 2017 @ 11:02 AM
link   
this is the only site i use as far as social media goes. my wife posts on a board related to yarn and crafts. neither of us use facebook or any of that other #.

i recently got an instagram and i am following about 8 people and im already over it. never posted a single thing.

i really think everyone would be better off with no facebook, insta, twitter, etc etc.

it takes over peoples lives. people are buried in their phones all the time. must check facebook constantly. must have text alerts when someone posts a picture of them eating a sammy.

i just dont get it...

posted on May, 6 2017 @ 11:03 AM
link   
a reply to: badw0lf

Far longer than that. Two examples that spring to mind:

Christine Chubbuck

On the morning of July 15, 1974, Chubbuck confused coworkers by claiming she had to read a newscast to open Suncoast Digest, something she had never done before. That morning's talk show guest waited across the studio while Chubbuck sat at the news anchor's desk.[6] During the first eight minutes of her program, Chubbuck covered three national news stories and then a shooting from the previous day at local restaurant Beef & Bottle, at the Sarasota-Bradenton Airport.[15] The film reel of the restaurant shooting had jammed and would not run, so Chubbuck shrugged it off and said on-camera, "In keeping with Channel 40's policy of bringing you the latest in 'blood and guts', and in living color, you are going to see another first—attempted suicide." She drew the revolver and shot herself behind her right ear.[6] Chubbuck fell forward violently and the technical director faded the broadcast rapidly to black.[16] The station quickly ran a standard public service announcement and then a movie.[17]

Some television viewers called the police, while others called the station to inquire if the shooting was staged.[18]

and then of course there's R. Budd Dwyer about whom the 1995 Filter song, Hey Man Nice Shot was written:

After he had finished speaking and handing out the notes to his staffers, Dwyer then produced a manila envelope with a blued Smith & Wesson Model 27 .357 Magnum revolver in it. When the crowd in the room saw what Dwyer had pulled out of the envelope, the mood changed immediately from one of waiting to see whether he would resign his office to one of panic as nobody else but Dwyer knew what he was planning to do with the gun. Dwyer calmly stated to his audience, "Please, please leave the room if this will...if this will affect you."[24]

What followed was chaotic. Some people in the room left to call for help. Among those that stayed, some pleaded with Dwyer to surrender the gun while others tried to approach him and seize the weapon. Dwyer warned against either action, exclaiming, "Don't, don't, don't, this will hurt someone."[25] Despite Dwyer's pleas to stay back, people continued trying to approach him, so Dwyer hurriedly placed the gun into his mouth, fired, and collapsed to the floor.[26] Witnesses screamed and cursed as five news cameras recorded the events. Surviving video footage of the incident shows Dwyer's lifeless body shortly after he fell, revealing a cascade of blood that continued to pour from his nose and the exit wound at the top of his head.[27] A shaken Horshock took the podium and asked the media to leave and for someone to call for medical assistance and the Pennsylvania Capitol Police.

Dwyer died instantly from the gunshot shortly before 11:00 a.m. EST, but was not pronounced dead at the scene until 11:31 a.m.[25] An aide later stated that Dwyer's corneas were made available for transplant per his organ donation wishes, but that no others were usable by the time his body reached a hospital.[19]

posted on May, 6 2017 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Time to ban facebook.

posted on May, 6 2017 @ 11:04 AM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

recent biopic about christine. have not seen it but the reviews are pretty good

www.imdb.com...

posted on May, 6 2017 @ 11:08 AM
link   
a reply to: knowledgehunter0986

This is a subject matter that makes me sad... very sad for our youth. The human subconscious will never EVER want and need a hug from a computer to feel better. Not only does the lack of proper emotional care get passed on as traits adults value, but the kids that are deep down just wanting a hug, also reflect on the realities that something is wrong with them furthermore, because they don't find a false sense of happiness within the technology devices.

My phone never rings... and I can go a weeks on end with nobody checking in on me. I still to this day pretty much just keep to myself as a result of my self social experiments. I am content with isolation, but can clearly see that it is not going over very well with the average teen and young adult (the ages of which never knew the world pre-webs). These youth were born into this world with the phones attached to adults... and it shows them false paths of positive influence and or love.

I hate to admit that you're right... it's too far gone now though. I'd have a small amount of hope left if I seen the technologies being offered no more than a secondary influence at best when compared to love and compassion for another human.

posted on May, 6 2017 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Yep... just saying, the blame to facebook is unfounded. what about uStream? or any of the other live feeds.

Maybe because we've come to associate facebook with real life, I don't know... but fact is, it's not the 2017 version of a suicide note. it's the 2017 of a thing we've as long as there has been a way to make it live for others....

Me? I'll be found dead in my chair 3 years after. Unless the people I owe money to come breaking in

posted on May, 6 2017 @ 11:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lysergic
Time to ban facebook.

Then where will I get to watch people scaring their cats with cucumbers?

Evil evil man...

posted on May, 6 2017 @ 11:12 AM
link   

PS the bud dwyer video is one I'll never get out of my head.

posted on May, 6 2017 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Again, I'm not blaming Facebook. I understand this has been happening since the beginning of time and will continue on for eternity.

I think the point (or question) I'm trying to make is that social media DOES play pretty significant role in society, and society in general plays a pretty significant role in molding the masses. (Indoctrination, especially younger teens)

Imo it has created entire generations of very entitled and narcissistic teens, along with being mentally weak and unstable.

posted on May, 6 2017 @ 11:19 AM
link   

It's beyond just FB... this is a problem of the entire interwebs.

Take Aaron Hernandez for instance. He's been in headlines for years and years for the murders that he attached himself to. His name was unknown when it was a reality that he was an active gang member, playing for a professional football team... where most of the entire world couldn't even have told you who Aaron Hernandez was. The killings become public, he gets convicted, and his name goes down in interweb infamy. Well, a couple weeks ago... in his cell, he hung himself and ended his own life. He also HAND WROTE a suicide note.

sports.yahoo.com...

I found his handwritten note to another individual in seconds... that is not normal. Notice how the webs wants all information public so we can better determine accuracy for ourselves? All the while, the privacy for this guys family, and how it may affect the youth attached to the event are completely ignored... because the web is viewed as a primary information source over human connection.

This isn't a facebook only problem... we are even contributing to these things right now.... here at ATS.

posted on May, 6 2017 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Great topic hunter! We need to talk about this and more concerning tech in our lives more often.

a reply to: ttobban

I am one of the last holdouts.. no cellphone, no fb, twitter, whatever. People used to look at me like I was an alien when I said I never got a mobile and tell me I would give in soon enough but now I'm surprised with how many tell me how lucky I am.
Now I too am hooked (this site). Oh well. A wonderful distraction.
But yes, I have been an observer of cellphone use and how it has changed the way we relate to one another, in public, in home, with our friends (at least there is now an established ettiquette.. when everyone started using cellphones there was no such thing!).

As for this sad case, this poor girl certainly seemed to mean business. I think the rise of reality stars is an interesting phenom that I don't understand, but it definitely is influencing the minds of our youth. People will put all of their mess (sometimes really revolting mess) on camera for the chance to be seen.

Great discussion so far.
edit on 6-5-2017 by zosimov because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join