It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bloodthirsty Vampire Bats Kill 11 Children

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 01:23 PM
link   

11 children, all under six years old, have died of rabies after being bit by vampire bats in Peru. People are scared and many are abandoning their homes. 1,101 people have been bitten so far.

Eleven children from Amazon Indian tribes have died of rabies in Peru's remote northern jungle after being bitten by bloodthirsty vampire bats.

"Of course people are scared. They're abandoning their homes, temporarily, to go deeper into the jungle," said Shapiom Noningo, vice president of the Inter-Ethnic Association of the Peruvian Jungle.

A total of 1,101 people have been bitten -- the last in December -- and are receiving rabies vaccines

Another example of animals attacking humans. Recently there have been other stories about other animals attacking humans. Mother nature must be angry at us for some reason. It could also be just another coincident...

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Bats and rabies seem to go hand and hand. I have to wonder if these bats are just carriers or if it is just that so many of them are infected that they are always about. Anyone know?

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 02:54 PM
link   
It does seem Mother Nature is a wee bit peeved off at us. The Tsunami, really bad weather all over the planet and now killer bats.........leave us alone, were sorry!!

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hellmutt

Vampire bats -- which only live in Latin America -- only eat blood, and only turn to humans when animals are unavailable since they will die if they fail to feed for two days.

One has to wonder where their regular animals hosts are? Is this an area that is being disturbed by civilization spread? In that case, modern man would be responsible.

Info on bats:
news.nationalgeographic.com...

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 04:15 PM
link   
How vampire bats feed is that they don't do the stereotypical latch onto the neck and bite down thing; they bite a small hole next to a vain and lick the blood out. And they also do it while the animal is sleeping. They are known to bite farm animals, so it would only be a small step for them to bite humans as well. Also, you have to figure that these are people from Amazon tribes, so when they sleep it's going to be in a structure that's probably open to having things fly in at night.

I bet that humans getting bitten by vampire bats is relatively common, it's just that for whatever reason, the ones that are biting right now are giving their victims rabies and killing them. So I don't think mother nature is any more pissed at us than usual. I think she's just going to sit back and wait for us to blow ourselves up

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 04:30 PM
link   
The "true" Vampire bat (Desmodus rotundus) feeds on any largish mammal it has at hand. Toechopper described the feeding procedure in detail, I add that their saliva contains some particular enzymes that both prevent the blood from coagulate and anaesthitize the area. Vampire bats are one of the few species actually on a steady increase: since the introduction of cattle and other large farm mammals in South America the population has boomed, due to a virtually unlimited food supply. For a human, getting bitten by a vampire bat is uncommon, but far from rare: to them we are just a little less juicy than a cow, but much better than a goat. Rabies is the biggest threat: most vampires (even harmless) carry it but, since they don't usually bite humans, nobody notices.

top topics

join