It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Planned Parenthood Ever So Quietly Defunded

page: 8
<< 5  6  7   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 12:55 PM
link   
a reply to: ParasuvO
even if you agree that planned parenthood deserves to be stripped of it's medicaid reimbursements, can you honestly say that this legislation that the house just passed is the best solution to doing it?

do you really find it believable that planned parenthood is the only non-profit healthcare provider that is offering abortion services and getting the $3 hundred and whatever thousand dollars in medicaid reimbursements? I don't, and really think that if this were to actually go through, it would affect more than just planned parenthood!

this isn't about anyone's opinions on abortion or planned parenthood, it's about stupid lawmakers coming up and voting for stupid laws (of which they admit to not reading), just so trump can claim a political win!

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 08:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: CynConcepts
Planned Parenthood is a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit corporation and your gifts are tax deductible to the fullest extent allowed by law. So, for all those that are upset at the prospect that it may no longer being federally funded should make their individual personal choice to donate to them. Those that don't agree with their policies can make the personal choice not to donate. No need for the federal government to make these choices for individuAls.

WOW! Logic!!! The federal government shouldn't take money from the people and give it to a business...period. If the business can't operate on their own profits, it should disappear. And in the case with PP...let the people who want to support them do so directly. I have no problem with that at all. It is fair, logical and in the best interest of everyone involved.

Nice idea and statement.

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 09:19 PM
link   
a reply to: WeAreAWAKE

The federal government shouldn't take money from the people and give it to a business...period.

Brilliant! So no clinic or doctor should ever be reimbursed for Medicare and Medicaid services, PERIOD! All medical coverage should be on a donation basis!

posted on May, 8 2017 @ 07:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: windword

The federal government shouldn't take money from the people and give it to a business...period.

Brilliant! So no clinic or doctor should ever be reimbursed for Medicare and Medicaid services, PERIOD! All medical coverage should be on a donation basis!

This is from Forbes

As best I can determine, taxpayers subsidize roughly 24% of all abortion costs in the U.S. with 6.6% borne by federal taxpayers and the remaining 17.4% picked up by state taxpayers. If we apply the 24% figure to the total number of abortions, this is equivalent to taxpayers paying the full cost of 250,000 abortions a year, with about 70,000 financed by federal taxpayers and 180,000 financed by state taxpayers

posted on May, 8 2017 @ 08:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv

originally posted by: ParasuvO

libs give them more drugs instead and try to keep them alive at all costs.

What a bizarre mysterious statement. I wonder what it means.

It's all part of Trump's America. I'm not sure you need to know.

posted on May, 8 2017 @ 08:39 AM
link   

as far as the 250,000 abortions a year, they seem irrelevant to the discussion since it was the states that decided to use state funds for them and the republicans are saying that they want more of the decisions as to how healthcare is governed given to the states...

as for the 70,000 financed by federal taxpayers, the only way the federal funds can be tapped is if there is danger posed to the mother, a fetal abnormality, or rape or incest...

so, I assume that your don't want your federal taxes to help provide an abortion for a women who is endangered by a pregnancy, or the abortion of a fetus that is so badly deformed it won't be surviving on it's own anyway, or for little girls who are molested by adult creeps and made pregnant...

this little portion of the law will not be making it through the senate without it being reworded I don't think, but if it actually did pass and be enacted, it would force just about every major healthcare provided in the country to either choose to drop medicaid patients or operate in a much similar way as the catholic hospitals are in this country now...

it's funny, I've listened to some of the pollywog's banter about this bill since it's passage by the house...
one of the main talking points I've heard from the republicans is that medicaid isn't perfect, how so many healthcare providers don't want to take part in the program....
and here they are so eager to kick them off the program....

they are very few independent hospitals and doctors now days, they seem to all operate under someone's umbrella. the two hospitals in my city are a part of competing systems that have multiple hospitals and clinics, and they provide much more expensive care than the birth control, pap smears, std testing ect that planned parenthood provides...
both ask for donations, and I know that the one is non-profit, I assume that they both are...
and it's inconceivable to me that the annual amount of reimbursements they get from medicaid would be less than planned parenthood...
so yes they would more than likely fall under the criteria given in this law!! any abortions that they were to give, and I am sure that they do them at least in SOME CASES would end up being scrutinized by the gov't officials while they decided weather they considered if they should be ineligible for the medicaid program or not. abortion weather you like it or not, is a legal procedure in this country, and one that is sometimes the best course to take in the event of a pregnancy. a healthcare provider should never be put in position of weighing the risk that a pregnancy poses to a women against the risk posed to a half a million medicaid patients who could lose their healthcare provider if a bunch of right wing bureaucrats see the situation differently than he does!!

posted on May, 8 2017 @ 08:43 AM
link   
a reply to: windword

should also mean that we can pull out all those troops that are over in afghanistan protecting the precious poppy fields and illegal drug businesses!! no more federal grants to small businesses. and hey, those sports teams can build their own danged stadiums without the taxpayer's help!!!

posted on May, 8 2017 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Read through to the end of your article and find this!

As a very rough approximation, it appears that no more than 1,000 abortions a year are directly funded by federal taxpayers [3]--i.e., roughly 1 in 1,000 abortions.

And those 1 in 1,000 would represent pregnancies that occurred because of rape and/or incest, or, the life of the mother was endangered. Do you have a problem with that?

Besides, defunding Planned Parenthood would do nothing to stop abortions or these costs, it would, in fact increase the number of unwanted pregnancies though!

posted on May, 8 2017 @ 02:17 PM
link   
here's the text of the bill..

www.congress.gov...

the relevant portion for this discussion would be Section 103..

SEC. 103. Federal payments to States.

(a) In general.—Notwithstanding section 504(a), 1902(a)(23), 1903(a), 2002, 2005(a)(4), 2102(a)(7), or 2105(a)(1) of the Social Security Act (42 U.S.C. 704(a), 1396a(a)(23), 1396b(a), 1397a, 1397d(a)(4), 1397bb(a)(7), 1397ee(a)(1)), or the terms of any Medicaid waiver in effect on the date of enactment of this Act that is approved under section 1115 or 1915 of the Social Security Act (42 U.S.C. 1315, 1396n), for the 1-year period beginning on the date of the enactment of this Act, no Federal funds provided from a program referred to in this subsection that is considered direct spending for any year may be made available to a State for payments to a prohibited entity, whether made directly to the prohibited entity or through a managed care organization under contract with the State.

(b) Definitions.—In this section:

(1) PROHIBITED ENTITY.—The term “prohibited entity” means an entity, including its affiliates, subsidiaries, successors, and clinics—

(A) that, as of the date of enactment of this Act—

(i) is an organization described in section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 and exempt from tax under section 501(a) of such Code;

(ii) is an essential community provider described in section 156.235 of title 45, Code of Federal Regulations (as in effect on the date of enactment of this Act), that is primarily engaged in family planning services, reproductive health, and related medical care; and

(iii) provides for abortions, other than an abortion—

(I) if the pregnancy is the result of an act of rape or incest; or

(II) in the case where a woman suffers from a physical disorder, physical injury, or physical illness that would, as certified by a physician, place the woman in danger of death unless an abortion is performed, including a life-endangering physical condition caused by or arising from the pregnancy itself; and

(B) for which the total amount of Federal and State expenditures under the Medicaid program under title XIX of the Social Security Act in fiscal year 2014 made directly to the entity and to any affiliates, subsidiaries, successors, or clinics of the entity, or made to the entity and to any affiliates, subsidiaries, successors, or clinics of the entity as part of a nationwide health care provider network, exceeded $350,000,000.

so weather or not it would affect something like Upstate Medical Center, I am not sure. guess it would depend on weather or not they would consider Upstate's Family planning center alone when it comes to " primarily engaged in family planning services, reproductive health, and related medical care" while looking at the amount of revenue receive by the totality of Upstate. and then weather it would block the medicaid from just the Family planning center, the whole of Upstate, or not block anything whatsoever.

if you read through the whole bill, it also blocks those tax credits that are supposed to help you afford the health insurance from being used on any policy that covers abortion. which, I'm not sure how common such policies are now days, I know I never have been insurance that covered abortions.. chances are good though that such policies will become much rarer if this was enacted, possibly non-existent..

(iii) provides for abortions, other than an abortion—

(I) if the pregnancy is the result of an act of rape or incest; or

(II) in the case where a woman suffers from a physical disorder, physical injury, or physical illness that would, as certified by a physician, place the woman in danger of death unless an abortion is performed, including a life-endangering physical condition caused by or arising from the pregnancy itself; and

no mention of a fetus that has 0 chance of being able to survive after being born because of abnormalities???

posted on May, 9 2017 @ 09:03 PM
link   
I see a lot of hatred here towards planned parent hood. I Guess if those haters really valued every human life then they would adopt every unwanted baby and raise them ... Talk is cheap, but actions speak loudly.

posted on May, 9 2017 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Those that don't agree with their policies can make the personal choice not to donate

We will be forced to pay for all the unwanted kids that end up poor or criminals, and that will be for life so it's a lot more expensive.

posted on May, 9 2017 @ 09:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: CynConcepts
Planned Parenthood is a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit corporation and your gifts are tax deductible to the fullest extent allowed by law. So, for all those that are upset at the prospect that it may no longer being federally funded should make their individual personal choice to donate to them. Those that don't agree with their policies can make the personal choice not to donate. No need for the federal government to make these choices for individuAls.

No no no...we need Federal funds for everything don't you know. It amazes me that people somehow do not understand that this country did just fine without all the Federal funding and entitlements that so many now feel is required to live.

posted on May, 10 2017 @ 09:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

except those same medicaid patients that are visiting planned parenthood for their birth control would also need that medicaid funding for their prenatal care and the delivery of a child, not to mention the healthcare, food, shelter, clothing ect, for that child till adulthood!!

and not, we weren't doing just fine without "all those entitlements"...

posted on May, 10 2017 @ 10:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: dawnstar
a reply to: Xtrozero

except those same medicaid patients that are visiting planned parenthood for their birth control would also need that medicaid funding for their prenatal care and the delivery of a child, not to mention the healthcare, food, shelter, clothing ect, for that child till adulthood!!

and not, we weren't doing just fine without "all those entitlements"...

Removing illegal immigrants would reduce the number of new borns to be taken care of by 400k a year. Sorted.

posted on May, 10 2017 @ 11:48 AM
link   
a reply to: UKTruth

Non-Financial Eligibility

To be eligible for Medicaid, individuals must also meet certain non-financial eligibility criteria. Medicaid beneficiaries must generally be residents of the state in which they are receiving Medicaid. They must either be citizens of the United States or certain qualified non-citizens, such as lawful permanent residents. In addition, some eligibility groups are limited by age, or by pregnancy or parenting status.

www.medicaid.gov...

while it's might true that some states might have funded programs that extended medicaid to illegal aliens, I kind of doubt the federal program is fundin medicaid for illegal aliens.
birth control prevents conception of children till the time when parents feel they are in a position to be able to care for those children... family planning centers like planned parenthood not only provides care (of which birth control is one) to both poor medicaid patients and those lower and middle income uninsured women who don't qualify for medicaid...
and if you block those lower and middle income uninsured women that are straddling the fence dividing medicaid and totally screwed and can't afford crap from the birth control and they become pregnant you are gonna knock many of them off the fence into the poor and entitled side! even the not so poor, seemingly doing fine women, if you manage to force them to have babies that prenatal tests show as having congenital problems, the cost of care for those babies might possibly be enough to throw them over to that side of the fence. remove maternity care from their insurance policies and it causes them to miss that maternity care, and you increase the risk of those problems forming...

so you can say that you want to wipe out the entitlement programs all you want, but if you are aiming at just those programs that help women control their reproductive cycles, then you are just increasing the need for those programs in the long run!

posted on Jun, 22 2017 @ 01:20 AM
link   
June 21, 2017

After learning that Planned Parenthood taxpayer funding is definitely terminated, in both the House and Senate ObamaCare replacement bills, I went to the Planned Parenthood site and see that:

1. Abortion is listed as their primary service... First item on the list of services provided.
www.plannedparenthood.org...

and

2. They solicit heavily for $$$ donations. So, why do they NEED our tax dollars?
secure.ppaction.org...

posted on Jun, 22 2017 @ 07:02 AM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

well, gee, maybe we should change the terminology to zabortion, then it could be last....
their services seem to be listed in alphabetical order on the site and A comes first!!!

and.....
why should they be treated any differently than any other healthcare provider in the country, many of whom take advantage of donations while still receiving medicaid reimbursements? why can't they all just depend on their donations??? Heck, why do they need donations?? oh, that's right, contrary to what some seem to thing, all those gov't programs that are set up don't cover everyone who needs the help, and then there's the fact that those gov't programs don't provide the full cost of the care that is given....

Provide care for all children, regardless of their families' abilities to pay. More than 50 percent of the children we serve are covered by Medicaid, which pays only a fraction of the costs. Carilion Children’s annually provides more than $20 million in uncompensated care and charity care.

www.carilionclinic.org...

it seems that many of the healthcare providers are depending on both the gov't programs AND charity to keep from going under.....
why do any of them need tax dollars, you reckon???

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7   >>

join