It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

delta airlines : involuntary passenger removal

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 08:18 AM
link   
a reply to: wheresthebody
Honestly I have not flown since about 2010 I think. I take road trips now because the family is too big and costs of flying would be ridiculous and uncomfortable. Toddlers don't have id's, so does anybody know or have experience if the parents have to bring a birth certificate or something??

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 08:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: Antipathy17
a reply to: ignorant_ape

If this was a case of simple overbooking, I agree. First come first serve. Although if they do have naming guidelines and this guy family tried to bypass it, the consideration should be made.

So I buy 6 tickets for my family, but I can't swap seats & let my kid sit by the window?
Control freaks trying to micro manage everything, and failing

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 08:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: TinySickTears
with you to a point but gray area. every situation is different.
i can see me not being allowed to buy a ticket and pass it to you...i get it
we are talking about this dudes kid(s)...one an infant
give me a break

I understand where you are coming from, but it would appear the name on the manifest for that seat did not match the boarding pass he was attempting to use since his other child which corresponded to that pass was on a different flight.

That being said, the crew handled this like crap.

and i understand where you are coming from and it was handled like crap.
maybe dude should not have told them about the other kid then because 2 year olds dont have state id's.

i guess instead of being honest he should have lied to save his family from being kicked out.

still comes down to gray area and just not being a prick. imo

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 08:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: acackohfcc

originally posted by: Antipathy17
a reply to: ignorant_ape

If this was a case of simple overbooking, I agree. First come first serve. Although if they do have naming guidelines and this guy family tried to bypass it, the consideration should be made.

So I buy 6 tickets for my family, but I can't swap seats & let my kid sit by the window?
Control freaks trying to micro manage everything, and failing

apparently not. that kind of craziness will get you kicked off the plane at least and quite possibly you will get your head split open for it.
crazy huh....i know there are rules and SOP. i get it but people need to be able to use their brain and evaluate the situation.

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 08:28 AM
link   

maybe dude should not have told them about the other kid then because 2 year olds dont have state id's.

May have spared the treatment but I think the honest route is the better one. Delta is going to end up comping them for this in some capacity that will likely far exceed their original ticket costs.

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 08:36 AM
link   

May have spared the treatment but I think the honest route is the better one. Delta is going to end up comping them for this in some capacity that will likely far exceed their original ticket costs.

i dont know.
youre right. delta is probably going to comp them but that does not change the fact that he and his wife and kid had to sleep in an airport. thats jut not cool.
if he had lied he might have been all good.
he should not have been put in the situation where he had to make the choice of lying about it or not. seats were paid for by him for his family.
whats the difference is it is johnny or jimmy in the seat when they are both his kids

and if theyre going to wind up comping him anyway instead of telling him his kids are gonna go to the state and he and his wife be arrested if they dont jump off and sleep in the airport why not treat him like a human and apologize for the crappy situation.
we are sorry sir but it is SOP but since we are not the devil here is a voucher for the motel 6. go get a good nights rest on us and we will get you in coach on a flight tomorrow. have a great day. mr standby you can now board.

if theyre going to pay in the end what is wrong with doing it like that?
edit on 5-5-2017 by TinySickTears because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 08:42 AM
link   
ignorant_ape

His two-year-old was sitting in a child safety seat, which crew members then claimed was banned under Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) regulations and said the child would have to sit in an adult's lap.The FAA's website also "strongly urges" parents to put young children in a safety device in their own seat.

Despite Mr Schear later relenting and agreeing to hold the child, the crew member tells him the family was being removed from the plane because "it's come too far". When he responds that there is nowhere for his family, including two infants, to go and no more flights, the crew member can be heard saying: "You guys are on your own."
(from Op's link)

Did you know that the safest place for your child on an airplane is in a government-approved child safety restraint system (CRS) or device, not on your lap? Your arms aren't capable of holding your child securely, especially during unexpected turbulence.
FAA

Pretty horrible situation to be in honestly. And even when he relented he was still not allowed to fly. wow..

Found a longer video:

Thanks,
blend57
edit on 5-5-2017 by blend57 because: Always an edit! : /

link   

whats the difference is it is johnny or jimmy in the seat when they are both his kids
?

It violates the contract of carriage which you agree to when making your purchase.

link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

What would you bet that "mr. standby" is another airline employee needing a late connect for work...

ganjoa

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 08:50 AM
link   

?

It violates the contract of carriage which you agree to when making your purchase.

so no gray area then?
even though apparently the faa says the child is safer in the seat?
even though as you say the airline will wind up comping them to the tune of more than the tickets cost?

since he will be comped and since he maybe might have broke SOP what would have been wrong with hooking him up with a motel 6 and then coach the next day?
i know you said they handled it poorly so youre kind of on the same page as me....

just saying man

one of these days people as a whole are going to start pushing back

like the other member said

what if you switch seats so your kid can look out the window?

this whole situation could have and should have been a non issue.

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 08:53 AM
link   

?

Can they throw you off the plane for switching seats with a fat person that has loose bowels... and you don't want to keep getting up when they run to the lavatory?

I wonder if the people that ended up taking the seat were on the manifest?

So the person that the ticket was purchased for wasn't on the flight... and the kid would have flown sitting on the lap of a parent... against the policy of the airline and the recommendation of the FAA.... and that would have been fine with the flight attendants.

How is this not an effed up situation?

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 08:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy

So the person that the ticket was purchased for wasn't on the flight... and the kid would have flown sitting on the lap of a parent... against the policy of the airline and the recommendation of the FAA.... and that would have been fine with the flight attendants.

hopefully he can sue them for them trying to make him break faa rules and travel with his child in an unsafe manner.
im thinking it is not his problem to know all the faa rules but the employees sure should know.

so really they tried to get him to break the rule and have the kid travel in an unsafe manner and when he said no threatened him with jail and his kid going to the state......
nice huh

it is a screwed up situation.
things are not always cut and dry. black and white.

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 09:00 AM
link   

so no gray area then?
even though apparently the faa says the child is safer in the seat?

It wasn't about the airline or child seat, it was about the manifest and boarding passes.

even though as you say the airline will wind up comping them to the tune of more than the tickets cost?

I said that because of the very poor manner in which the flight/gate attendants handled the situation.

since he will be comped and since he maybe might have broke SOP what would have been wrong with hooking him up with a motel 6 and then coach the next day?

That was a poor move on the local agent's, they should have done something.

what if you switch seats so your kid can look out the window?

That is not the same as what happened here.

edit on 5-5-2017 by AugustusMasonicus because: I ♥ cheese pizza.

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Can they throw you off the plane for switching seats with a fat person that has loose bowels... and you don't want to keep getting up when they run to the lavatory?

No, people change seats all the time once the doors are closed.

I wonder if the people that ended up taking the seat were on the manifest?

They would end up on the manifest once they were given the seats.

It isn't Delta's 'policy', they allow you to fly either way at your preference.

It is.

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 09:08 AM
link   

I said that because of the very poor manner in which the flight/gate attendants handled the situation.

i know. and i said it could all have been avoided. just be a decent #in person. offer the dude a motel 6....

what is your opinion on the fact that apparently it is against faa rules to hold the kid on your lap?
the kid should have been in the car seat as he was. they lied to him about the rules.
thoughts on that?

does that fall under the umbrella of they handled it poorly?

since you did say they handled it poorly in your opinion how should they have handled it?
edit on 5-5-2017 by TinySickTears because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 09:09 AM
link   
Delta is usually very cooperative with comping. My only experience ever with an overbooked flight was in 2006 on Delta. They asked for volunteers, but noone asked. Then they offered free round trip tickets for any later date to those who offered to be rebooked. I was the first one there to accept, and we got two tickets (me and wife) out of the four seats they needed. It gave us the opportunity to visit the Redwood in California the following year, a wonderful trip we probably never would have gotten to until many years later if it was not for these nice free tickets.

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 09:11 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus
It is their 'recommendation' at Delta that you purchase a seat (which they did) and use a child restraint seat.
The flight attendant lied and said that using a chold restraint seat was against their policy.

A ticket was purchased by the family.
The airline said that they could not let the infant sit in the seat that they purchased because the infants name was not associated with the ticket for that seat.
So they sat 4 very different people in those seats after throwing the paid ticketholders off the flight. Apparently all four of those people had their names associated with the tickets that were sold for that flight????

Totally effed.up situation.

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 09:11 AM
link   

what is your opinion on the fact that apparently it is against faa rules to hold the kid on your lap?

It's not, they only recommend you use a seat. I fly every week and see people holding their infants most of the time.

since you did say they handled it poorly in your opinion how should they have handled it?

I would have let the guy use his other child's seat and not flew off the handle with the threats.

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Totally effed.up situation.

I agree. The Delta associates either did not know or embellished the rules. I would have let him use the boarding pass even thought it was not the correct one.

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 09:16 AM
link   

I would have let the guy use his other child's seat and not flew off the handle with the threats.

cool.
i still like you

i do see where you are coming from though

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join