It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Joke Known as the AHCA (HR 1628)

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 06:34 AM
link   
I'm interested to see what Trump supporters have to say about this. Not a single republican aside from Speaker Ryan thinks this is a "good" plan. Most are edging their bets with verbiage like "it's the best we can do" or "it's not a perfect replacement but we're hoping the Senate can revise it further". Keep in mind the House passed this without a CBO review of the new changes. Which means the actual impact on individual cost increases are totally undetermined. It was more important to have the optic of passing a bill than it was to actually know what was going on inside the fine print.

Lets look at the basics:

What's the bottom line? How the AHCA would affect you depends on your income, how you get your health insurance, and what kinds of health care you need.

For older, low-income Americans with health insurance from the individual market: Premiums could increase by $3,600 for a 55-year-old earning $25,000 a year and $8,400 for a 64-year-old earning $15,000 a year.

AARP For low-income Americans covered by Medicaid, the federal cap on support would likely lead to fewer benefits and higher out-of-pocket costs.

AARP 5--18 million individuals are predicted to lose Medicaid coverage entirely.

NYTimes If you are covered through your employer, your employer would be allowed to stop providing coverage --- and that's made more likely because tax credits and the tax advantage for employer-provided coverage would be eliminated. But experts are split on whether the AHCA will affect employer coverage --- and even whether the ACA ever had any effect on employer coverage to begin with.

NYTimes Americans with income around $40,000-$75,000 who purchase an individual plan may be better off because the ACA's subsidies for low-income Americans would be spread out to income up to $75,000.

USA Today (Unless premiums go up too) If your income is below that, some of your subsidies are now going to go to other people with higher income. If you have an income of $200,000 or more, or investment income, you can expect your tax bill to go down --- those making $1 million or more can expect around $50,000 less in taxes each year.

This means that the vast majority of working class families (many of whom are Trump's largest support base) are going to get smacked the hardest right where it hurts. On the flip side the wealthiest piece of the societal pie is going to gain a significant tax break.

If you're on Medicaid... The ACA expanded Medicaid eligibility in 32 states that opted in to it. The AHCA would reverse the eligibility expansion beginning in 2020 (anyone enrolled by then would remain enrolled), and it would reduce federal support for Medicaid with caps on coverage.

The ACA expanded required benefits under Medicaid, such as mental health and addiction services, which would no longer be required.

Bye-bye mental health care coverage if you're a Medicaid patient. This infuriates me and should infuriate anyone who has ever had a familiy member or close friend whose suffered from a mental health condition such as depression, psychosis, drug addiction, or PTSD.

Among all the other terrible changes to the health care system large business will no longer be penalized for not providing employees with a reasonable insurance option, small business tax credits are being eliminated which means it will punch small business right in the pocket book to offer their employees an insurance plan. Oh, and there's this little gem about de funding Planned Parenthood which provides maternal health, child health, and reproductive health coverage to people who mostly can't afford the high costs of such coverage otherwise.

"Defunding" Planned Parenthood The AHCA would also prohibit federal funding from going to Planned Parenthood, mostly through Medicaid, for one year. This would pause federal reimbursements for Planned Parenthood's reproductive health, maternal health, and child health services --- but not its abortion services because federal funds are already prohibited from being used for abortion.

GovTrack Fact Sheet

HR 1628 Full Text

Trump and the House GOP really stuck it to us on this one. Forced it down our throats without even knowing the full effects of the bill and said swallow. Not even a spoon full of sugar is going to help this one go down.

A special shout out to Rep. Jason (POS) Chaffetz. He returns from surgery for pre-existing condition to vote away your coverage on pre-existing conditions. Theres a special bullet and a special seat in hell with your name on it.

edit on 5-5-2017 by AnonyMason because: fixed typo in topic title

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 06:45 AM
link   
If mental healthcare is truly to be cut for so many I pretty much envision that being catastrophic for our society.

-Alee

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 06:49 AM
link   
Keep saying it, love to see them argue and bicker about spending billions on 'defense'. Health care for Americans, talk talk talk... endless war spending, barely a whisper.

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 06:49 AM
link   
a reply to: AnonyMason

Shame. And the Republicans passed exemptions for their pre existing, got caught, then "fixed" it.

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 06:52 AM
link   

I really hate Obamacare, but this isn't an improvement. Government shouldn't be involved in the healthcare business. All they are going to do is screw things up just like everything else they touch.

Bureaucrats make poor businessmen.

link   

originally posted by: NerdGoddess
If mental healthcare is truly to be cut for so many I pretty much envision that being catastrophic for our society.

-Alee

Why spend money they need for bombs on health care? Just throw the mentally unstable in prison. There at least they earn money in prisons for profit.

link   
a reply to: NerdGoddess

I would rate it equally as catastrophic as the 20-25 million people who are going to lose health care and be forced to go shopping for another plan, possibly a new doctor, and deal with the fall out/loss of coverage for however long it takes to hammer down their new plans.

It's a slap to the face of the American citizens represented by these jokers.

Do you really think these people have your best interests at heart? Any of them?

It's disgusting. The worst display of partisan politics to date. Not even waiting for a CBO review before passing the house... To call it irresponsible would be an understatement.

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 06:55 AM
link   

I am not a Trump support although I would love to see MAGA become a reality.

My problem with this rewrite of the ACA is this: The Democrats wanted to have a single payer system that covered pre-existing conditions. The compromise was keep all the private companies but cover pre-existing conditions. And now the second round of compromise is do not have any coverage of pre-existing conditions.

This is why government sucks so bad.

edit on 5-5-2017 by dfnj2015 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 06:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

Agreed. Completely agreed.

They only had nearly 7 years to come up with something better... And this is what they shove down our throats?

Call your Senators, ATS. They're the only hope we have left before this atrocity makes it to Trumps desk to be signed with his tiny hands and gold pen.

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 06:57 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

The good thing about being in prison is you get good healthcare and meals. Why would anyone not want to riot?

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 06:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: AnonyMason

Do you really think these people have your best interests at heart? Any of them?

Never have and never will. These days you're lucky to have family still give a damn. I happen to be blessed with a tight family, at least there is that. 1/3 of every pay check already goes to medical coverage for my son and I. I can't imagine having to pay more or losing it due to new circumstances.

-Alee

link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015
a reply to: intrptr

The good thing about being in prison is you get good healthcare and meals. Why would anyone not want to riot?

The truth in this statement rings loud as a bell.

Maybe the best policy for receiving top notch health care rests with the decision to punch a congressman right in the face and get locked up.

link   
a reply to: Metallicus

Your post is such BS. Private bureaucrats are no better than public ones. You obviously haven't ever had a problems dealing with healthcare providers!

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 07:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

I really hate Obamacare, but this isn't an improvement. Government shouldn't be involved in the healthcare business. All they are going to do is screw things up just like everything else they touch.

Bureaucrats make poor businessmen.

Amen brother.. They make poor decisions for the pedestrians (us) because their donors tell them what to pass or not pass to protect their bottom line.

Edit to add: When this POS goes to the senate it will be reworked and possibly totally disregarded. To early yet to do a swan dive into the concrete.

In three years premiums of ACA doubled and in some cases tripled for a family of 4. The deductions are as if you do not have insurance on top of the already outlandish cost.. As far as I am concerned the congress and the senate should have the same exact plan they try and force down the public's throat.
edit on 727thk17 by 727Sky because: ...

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 07:01 AM
link   

I pay my own policy 100% which is $1600 per month. How much do you pay?

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 07:06 AM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

The good thing about being in prison is you get good healthcare and meals.

They sequester unstable 'detainees' in Isolation cells. Thats not health care, thats torture.

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 07:18 AM
link   

I think they may have a better plan in the Senate.

They just wanted to get something passed through to them no matter what and allow the Freedom Caucus to keep their RW street cred. This was never about serious content - it was about political theatre.

"We kept our promise!" Is the spin and meanwhile the Senate can say "Um. No. Here's what we really want an it will look awesome in comparison to the AHCA Crapfest bill. Bow and be grateful."

That's my take. I've got my claws out though. The House bill is a stinking pile of irresponsible governance - one for the ages.

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 07:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015

I pay my own policy 100% which is $1600 per month. How much do you pay?

For 2 of us I pay 1200 (Health, Vision, Dental) but I also don't pay 100 percent. My company does pay some also. I only make 30k a year....... For now anyway

After taxes, one small charity and insurance I take home about 13k a year.

Used to be less but it seems to go up each year. Not much I can do about it I guess since I want us to be covered. Never know what could happen.

-Alee
edit on 5/5/2017 by NerdGoddess because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 07:33 AM
link   
I fully expect this bill will just fund a different group than the ACA... and Mental health care was fubared years ago... I think it was Regan that took a hatchet to that industry.

The ACA was not all rainbow day dreams and unicorn farts either...

My sister requires my father to help pay her bills while trying to pay the deductible on her health care... apparently she makes just a shade to much to get any of that assistance on paying it.

Her company dropped their health care plan because it was not acceptable by ACA standards... even though for what she has needed the last few years it would have been significantly easier on her pocket book.

No doubt some people that had it good will get screwed under the new plan... just like some people that had it good prior to the ACA got screwed by it.

Not a bloody thing will get changed until the cheerleaders for both parties force congress off their tax payer funded Cadillac plan and hold them accountable.

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 07:39 AM
link   

Thanks to Obama and the cry for single-payer, socialized medicine, government is and will always be a part of the healthcare system in the US from now on.

I wish government would not have even touched it, but it's now too late.

Healthcare is not a right, but it sure as hell is an entitlement now.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join