It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Woman with terminal cancer jailed over medication in her system

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 04:28 AM
link   
They should put some kind of indicator on people's licenses that at taking prescription meds that might be mistaken for THC or illegal substance.

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 05:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: seeker1963

originally posted by: hiddenNZ
a reply to: JinMI

Another key point,is it was prescribed legally,is synthetic (most likely sativex) and low in THC.

Around my parts they arrest people all the time for DUI because of the legally prescribed meds they are taking. Odd thing is on the pill bottle it only say "Use caution while driving or operating heavy machinery." or something of the sorts. The doctors who prescribe the meds never say you can't drive either.

It's just an easy way for the State to put a person on paper and make mo money mo money mo money..........

And you know what's really sad? If we the people can't control our state and local governments, how in the hell can we ever expect to reign in our corrupt federal government?

Think about that one for awhile.......

Bravissimo

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 06:04 AM
link   
a reply to: dreamingawake

As modern society grows in all ways, there will be increasing friction between science, personal rights and laws. You can argue any of those three ways to make a valid case while trashing the other points of view.

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 06:30 AM
link   

Let this woman live bruh. Let her use her medicine freely. Let her drive even. Im sure she wouldnt bother or harm anyone. She may feel the need to drive 10 maybe 15 mph UNDER the speed limit but she's no criminal nor is she driving around drunk commiting hit and runs.

This is what our police do these days. Random beatings, senseless murders and our grandmothers cant even drive after they've taken their medicine. Will it get better? Or is the worst yet to come?

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 06:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI
a reply to: tigertatzen

I see zero reason why she couldn't other than someone piping up and saying "unfair!"

A grave injustice is being done to this woman. I hope people out there are paying attention to this kind of news.

Perhaps, but there is more to this story than what the article is letting on. As I stated earlier, she is serving time for DUI (however that came about is not discussed nor the case), and also she got to choose her two day sentence.

So on one hand I can understand the legality but the right thing to do is to just pass this one over and count the womans days in the hospital as time served.

We are in complete agreement on this one. I'm sure there's more to it...I noticed a post referring to the warnings not to drive while taking the synthetic. That doesn't jibe at all with the claim that it doesn't have enough byproduct to get people high. I don't know enough about it to say either way, but if there's a precaution stated from the manufacturer, that's enough to at least nail someone for reckless endangerment if they're found to be impaired at the time of the stop.

It's a tough call from a strictly legal standpoint, because legally, she was in the wrong if the info is accurate. But we're talking about someone who is living on borrowed time, and I think that since she's not a career criminal, and she didn't harm anyone, this falls under the realm of a common human decency issue rather than a legal one.

The truth is, unless it is legalized 100% across the board, it will continue to be demonized. If there is one shred of an opportunity for big pharma to keep it and its countless benefits out of the hands of the public, they will take it...even if it means doing reprehensible things like jailing a dying woman. This is our own governments, state and federal, that are allowing this to continue...and there's a reason for that.

I imagine these types of stories will become far more commonplace as the push to legalize it continues to gain strength. It makes me angry as hell...but it also gives me hope. If they weren't losing ground on this, they wouldn't be making an example out of a frail, dying cancer patient. That means we need to push even harder. Stupid that we have to fight for the right to use something that anyone can grow in their backyard.

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 07:05 AM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

they say use caution when driving or operating heavy machinery.
the docs dont say you cant they say you shouldnt. its different

there needs to be some gray area. she was not driving around blazing. she was taking medicine cause she was dying.
no way she was stoned or impaired off marinol.

the caution labels on meds are to cover the pharm companies ass. it does not mean that everyone in the world that takes a vicodin will not be able to drive.
it means be an adult and use caution.
same with marinol

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 07:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: tigertatzen

We are in complete agreement on this one. I'm sure there's more to it...I noticed a post referring to the warnings not to drive while taking the synthetic. That doesn't jibe at all with the claim that it doesn't have enough byproduct to get people high.

ever taken marinol?
i have
you dont get high from taking a marinol.

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 07:12 AM
link   
i took this pic 2 minutes ago. its the warning from my bottle of vike 10's

says use caution when driving or operating machines.

ive been working in foundries for the past 8 years(save for past 4 months) and ive been on these meds the whole time. been popped for randoms and as soon as i produce my script my failed test is all good.

this lady did not break any laws. she had a script.

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 07:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft

Yes. The medical paperwork in my state says that you: Are not to drive while under the influence of cannabis flowers or extracts. That makes it difficult, because the extracts can stay in a person's system for a long time (and the effects also). The best thing a person can do in that situation would be to NOT drive under the influence, and just wait for a morning or time when they haven't consumed any for at least 4 hours. That's average of how long it takes for a medical dose to wear off, depending on the type (indica or sativa) how long it was ripened, and many other factors.

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 07:14 AM
link   

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 07:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: InFriNiTee
a reply to: Sublimecraft

Yes. The medical paperwork in my state says that you: Are not to drive while under the influence of cannabis flowers or extracts.

flowers and extracts are not the same as marinol. not at all
i just posted the warning from marinol

this lady is terminal....she can obviously tolerate the drug.
if she had just taken her first dose or was on only it for 2 days then MAYBE i can see her getting in some #.

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 07:16 AM
link   

Don't he synthetics actually get u " stoned" ? I doubt it enough to lay my freedom on it actually.

if you laid your freedom on it you would still be free.

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 07:19 AM
link   
Wow had not even realized Oklahoma had some form of Medical Mj legalization...

It is insane that as backwards as Oklahoma can be (Have a house there love the state but at times it is seriously backwards) they caught up with medical mj and others have not.

hope this gets sorted out...

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 07:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf
Wow had not even realized Oklahoma had some form of Medical Mj legalization...

its not considered medical mj

i had marinol in ohio 15 years ago LONG before we had medical MJ

en.wikipedia.org...

n the United States, Marinol is a Schedule III drug, available by prescription, considered to be non-narcotic and to have a low risk of physical or mental dependence. Efforts to get cannabis rescheduled as analogous to Marinol have not succeeded thus far, though a 2002 petition has been accepted by the DEA. As a result of the rescheduling of Marinol from Schedule II to Schedule III, refills are now permitted for this substance. Marinol's U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approvals for medical use has raised much controversy[53] as to why natural THC is considered a schedule I drug.[54]

refills are not permitted for narcotics.....

this lady got screwed

for me this is another reason why we need full legalization...
this lady is going to miss doc appointments and has to sit in jail for 2 days..it costs money to keep people in jail for 2 days.

gray area man...
she was on a legal med. she was not stoned. she was not blazing and driving. she is going to miss an appointment. it is going to cost money to keep her locked up.
all because no crime was committed.

this country is #in crazy man
edit on 5-5-2017 by TinySickTears because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 07:48 AM
link   

a reply to: JinMI

Another key point,is it was prescribed legally,is synthetic (most likely sativex) and low in THC.

Synthetic MJ is not medicinal in the same ways natural MJ is,in the ANTI-PARASITIC WAYS,pushing a synthetic pharmacutical drug made in a lab is another big pharma conjob scam designed to give TPTB control over us all.

The entire push for MJ driving laws is a scam....it is an attempt to re-fill the Prison for profit systems and to intentionally overfill the courts which as an extra benefit makes it easier for TPTB to manipulate court decisions in many many other seemingly non-related areas.

This has been done to us once with alcohol......same crooked conjob on MILLIONS UPON MILLIONS of people in multiple countries.

The GOOD THING is that right now we can IDENTIFY TPTBs sources.....whoever is pushing for MJ driving punative driving laws from the periphery ...... IS A MINION OF THE HORRIBLE MANIPULATORS we have been fighting for centuries now.....we need to LANDMARK all of these many many sources immediatly.....then follow up on them.

There simply IS NO impairment of your driving ability.....BUT....if TPTB can institute laws which give them a right to TAKE OUR DNA....TO TAKE OUR BLOOD.......they wish to DNA map all of us,this is one of their biggest anti-humanitarian plays on the Planet.

If you are "suspected of" driving under the influences of MJ they will steal your blood using machined and manipulated laws....then they know your entire family line...all the genetic specifics of you and your family line....potential illnesses ect ect.......imagine if the Nazi/SS had acess to a genetic DNA data bank.....they wouldnt have missed anyone in their sweeps.

Someone get Trump on it.....this is the old TPTB Trump is fighting,they are trying to pull the same conjob on us again.

People must force TPTB to surrender the trillions of dollars they have been milking our societies for......this revenue stream must be blocked......and those trying to build it must be noted and monitored and followd back to the source of the driving influence behind them.

If Trump allows this TPTB revenue stream to be built then he is in with them....if Trudeau in Canada does it he is in with TPTB.

Obviously if we stopped everyone driving under the influences of pharmacutical drugs......many millions of people would not be able to drive.TPTB want to classify MJ alongside ALCOHOL instead of alongside medicine......TPTB are protecting their products and are seeking to villify MJ.

The woman should investigate the consumption of MJ by eating it for its anti-parasitic values in combonation with an alkaline diet along with inputs from her current doctors......this is what TPTB wish to hide.....both alcohol and MJ when consumed orally are ANTI-PARASITICS.....the single most important thing to foster good health and long life.....the synthetic MJ is a conjob and focuses on pain reduction which is the LEAST valuable us for MJ......combusting it does not provide the anti-parasitic impacts....and if you ingest synthetic MJ you are NOT INGESTING MJ...because there IS NO SUCH THING ON GODS EARTH AS SYNTHETIC ANYTHING......TPTB will go to EXTREMES to suppress the truth about MJ and Alcohol being anti-parasitic because parasites have killed more humans than anything else ever has ....TPTB WANT US ALL INFECTED with overburdens of parasites which contribute directly to the cause ALL DISEASES ...an acidic body which fosters disease and cancer growth.

edit on 5-5-2017 by one4all because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 07:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: one4all
There simply IS NO impairment of your driving ability

correct.
the warning is a CYA for the pharm company.
this woman did not break any laws....ive posted the warnings and what schedule the drug is on.

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 08:11 AM
link   

I can only see where levels meant she was impaired and shouldn't have been behind the wheel. She should have just been driven home.. .and not jailed nor charged.

Shame...

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 08:12 AM
link   
This poor old lady was tricked. The DUI would have been way too easy to throw out of court or at the very worst, reduced to a reckless driving.

Honestly, a public defender likely could have had the entire case thrown out. THC, natural or synthetic remains for weeks in your blood stream stored in the fatty cells. All one has to do is force the state to prove that she was intoxicated at the time of the alleged offense. Do tell how the state can prove beyond doubt that the trace amounts of THC were not from medicine from weeks prior???

Poor old lady, they intimidated her and got her to plea guilt to such an easy charge to defeat in court. Hell many people in Florida do not even bother anymore paying for representation in such circumstances. They just threaten to take it to trial, and the charge is reduced to a reckless driving, or take it to trial and it gets tossed out.
edit on 5-5-2017 by worldstarcountry because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 08:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: tigertatzen

I'm sure there's more to it...I noticed a post referring to the warnings not to drive while taking the synthetic. That doesn't jibe at all with the claim that it doesn't have enough byproduct to get people high. I don't know enough about it to say either way, but if there's a precaution stated from the manufacturer, that's enough to at least nail someone for reckless endangerment if they're found to be impaired at the time of the stop.

i read your post again.
if you are sure there is more to it what is it?
sorry if it does not jive with the claim it does not get people high but it does not get people high
i do know enough about it to say either way
she was not impaired and the precaution is not there to 'nail' people. it is there as a cya for the pharm company.

you know people are stupid for the most part and # has to be spelled out lest you get sued.

so when a dumb ass irons the shirt while wearing it and then sues cause he is retarded the company can say they warned him not to do it

so when you get dysentery from drinking #ty toilet water and try to sue the company can say they told you to be careful

just to show they are generic type warnings that go on damn near everything to cya

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 08:22 AM
link   
a reply to: worldstarcountry

correct.
the article did not say what kind of test was done but marinol reads on a drug test as thc does. as in just like flowers and extracts. it does not have the same effects on the person though.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join