It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

WAR: Marines Fall Short of Monthly Recruiting

page: 1
0

log in

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 12:37 PM
link   
For the first time in ten years, the United States Marine Corps missed its monthly recruiting quota. For the month of January, the Corps was 84 recruits short, but they are on track to meet goals for the year. The Corps cites the reluctance of parents to sign for their children because of fear they will be sent to a war zone.
 



www.comcast.net
The Marine Corps fell short of its monthly recruiting goal in January for the first time in nearly 10 years, officials said Thursday.

While it was only a one-month slip and the Marines say they remain on track to meet their recruiting target for the full year, the January numbers reflect a broader reality for the military: Recruiting is more difficult because of the highly publicized U.S. war casualties in Iraq.

"Now we're seeing parents resisting" the sales pitch of recruiters because they worry that their son or daughter will wind up in a war zone, said Maj. Dave Greismer, spokesman for Marine Corps Recruiting Command.

"What we're doing is working with the parents more," he added. "Whereas before it may have taken one visit and they would accept, now it may take a recruiter two, three, four" visits. In some cases parents of 17-year-olds, who are a prime target of recruiters, are insisting that their son or daughter wait until age 18, when recruits no longer need parental approval to join.

In January the Marines signed up 84 fewer recruits than their goal of 3,270. That was the first time they fell short for a month since July 1995, which also was the last year in which the Marines missed their full-year recruiting goal.




Please visit the link provided for the complete story.


This should be a clarion call to all you young men who are of service age to start talking to your recruiters about enlisting. The country is at war and the stakes are higher than they have ever been in our history. Military service offers the opportunity to challenge oneself, to serve in the cause of freedom around the world and myriad other benefits, both tangible and intangible. As for the Marine Corps, ask any former Marine if he would do it all over again and the answer will be an overwhelming yes.

Related News Links:
www.salon.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Why Haven't You Enlisted?



[edit on 3-2-2005 by TrickmastertricK]




posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Those 84 could have been due to the liberal "establishment" on various college campus that are no longer allowing "military" recruiters. December grads..............



posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Grady: From what I have read in your other posts, you served your country proudly and I commend you for that.

Your encouragement to young folks to enlist, however, is pretty bold. You say the stakes are higher in this war than ever in American history. Did you see those who opposed the Vietnam War as less-American? I am treading lightly here, but are you sure that all those Vietnamese deaths were necessary and good? What was accomplished?

I am wondering if anyone sees this Marine Corp recruiting failure as an indication that maybe a large part of America does not want this war. Maybe those boys would be better served over here, contributing to the American economy.

I also wonder how responsible it is to encourage kids who need their parents to sign for them to go fight (read: kill/die) in a war that has been poorly funded and in which they are apt to be inadequately armored.

Again I say that you are deserving of respect for your service. As an American, I appreciate your efforts and I value your opinions.



posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by smallpeeps
Grady: From what I have read in your other posts, you served your country proudly and I commend you for that.

Your encouragement to young folks to enlist, however, is pretty bold. You say the stakes are higher in this war than ever in American history. Did you see those who opposed the Vietnam War as less-American? I am treading lightly here, but are you sure that all those Vietnamese deaths were necessary and good? What was accomplished?

I am wondering if anyone sees this Marine Corp recruiting failure as an indication that maybe a large part of America does not want this war. Maybe those boys would be better served over here, contributing to the American economy.

I also wonder how responsible it is to encourage kids who need their parents to sign for them to go fight (read: kill/die) in a war that has been poorly funded and in which they are apt to be inadequately armored.

Again I say that you are deserving of respect for your service. As an American, I appreciate your efforts and I value your opinions.





Stay in the blue zone, you will be safer there.......................
Grady is talking to the red zone.............


Oh, never mind, you'll never "get-it".



posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 01:18 PM
link   
My finance is a 24 y/o college student, who is a voice major ( Opera). She took the ASVAB when she was 15 (9 years ago) and she got a call Monday night from a Air Force Recruiter to talk to her about her scores. These guys are reaching.

If you are of age, and you want to go, do it, you will not regret it but remember it is not Halo 2.



posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 01:36 PM
link   
One of my sons has just turned 18 and this has been the talk of my house on and off for the last few months. I would prefer he not join but if he does I want him to make it work for him, get training in a field with a future and take advantage of the benefits package.

I told him I dont want to see him do it, just as my Dad told me and His Dad told him and His Dad told him as far back as our Family tree goes. Our Family has fought in every war this country has had since 1625 and we have all served with honor and I know he will too.



posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
This should be a clarion call to all you young men who are of service age to start talking to your recruiters about enlisting. The country is at war and the stakes are higher than they have ever been in our history.


Grady I have no knowledge of your personal history, age or any military career/s, but I will say that if you feel so strongly for the acts of killing and destroying, then you should enlist yourself, and stop pushing your thirst for death on the young citizens of the country you live in, for you have no right.



, to serve in the cause of freedom


Freedom is defending yourself and your country, not helping to wage an aggressive war; the two are not in the same category.

The grim realities of war are not glorious or heroic; you need only to open your ears to the stories of our fathers and grandfathers to know not to make the same mistakes. (Vietnam, Korea)

If you think that joining the military will not bring you closer towards killing your fellow human being, then at least understand the words of one of the worse tyrants in history (Hitler) when he stated that army’s exist for one purpose… War.



posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 09:02 PM
link   
I wonder why...lol. Why dont they do a draft or something? But then we wouldnt see them for another 4 years.



posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 10:39 PM
link   
msnbc.msn.com...


The forum in which this General expressed himself was probably inappropriate for such comments, but what would you expect a United States Marine career infantryman to say, that it makes him feel all icky inside to have to kill an enemy combatant? I don't think so. War is hell, but war can be both fun and exhilarating, including killing the enemy. It has never been otherwise.

Edit: This was posted in response to curme's edited post. The link above provides the context.

[edit on 05/2/3 by GradyPhilpott]



posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 10:45 PM
link   

"Now we're seeing parents resisting" the sales pitch of recruiters because they worry that their son or daughter will wind up in a war zone, said Maj. Dave Greismer, spokesman for Marine Corps Recruiting Command.


I can't imagin why a parent would not want their child to come back in a body bag that would not even be allowed media attention because of an administration that holds their personal interests ahead of the interest of the country's individuals whom they are sworn to protect. the whole thing alludes me!



posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Johnny Redburn

Grady I have no knowledge of your personal history, age or any military career/s, but I will say that if you feel so strongly for the acts of killing and destroying, then you should enlist yourself, and stop pushing your thirst for death on the young citizens of the country you live in, for you have no right.



Not only do I have a right to counsel young men to serve their country in a time of war, I have a personal and moral obligation to share with the young the lessons I have learned in living my life. You may find a short resume of my life under my profile tab.



posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 11:21 PM
link   
Hmmm....
www.atsnn.com...

Seriously though, there is so much on the table right now, and it will get worse. I do not think there are many options...



posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 11:25 PM
link   

The country is at war and the stakes are higher than they have ever been in our history.

Um...what? Did I somehow miss Iraq turning into World War II or Korea?



posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Esoterica
Um...what? Did I somehow miss Iraq turning into World War II or Korea?


I'm speaking of the war on Terrorism or whatever else you want to call this engagement with Islamic fanaticism. In my judgement and the judgement of many others, the fate of civilization itself is at stake.



posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 11:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
I'm speaking of the war on Terrorism or whatever else you want to call this engagement with Islamic fanaticism. In my judgement and the judgement of many others, the fate of civilization itself is at stake.


Oh.

Can't say I think it's that bad yet. Worst case scenario, the middle east stays hardline Islam/totalitarian and we keep out good buds the Saudis closer than before. Even the nuking of an American city wouldn't bring about the downfall of civilization.

The world's dealt with worse without falling into total chaos.



posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 11:44 PM
link   
I'd tell people to join for a few reasons.

1. If you want to go to a war where the US casualties are low, this is the lowest one by far....
2. If you are one of the Thousands that survive, you will will get benefits out the tailbone....
3. Hardships and difficult things will prove to you who you are. nothing like the dramatic to shape a view.
4. You can't say you personally know anything about what's been going on there unless you GO. A lot of what we wind up doing is specuation.

The thing is, which branch of the military is seeing less direct face-to-face fighting with the enemy? I think it's supposed to be Navy, right? Is the navy that low, but the Army still making it's recruit list? I really can't stand half stories, lol....



posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 11:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Esoterica
Even the nuking of an American city wouldn't bring about the downfall of civilization.


Well, let's hope we never find out. Perhaps, I should have said "civilization , as we know it."



new topics

top topics



 
0

log in

join