It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So a prince retires-who the hell cares?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Are you sitting down? you better be and hold your breath-prince Phillip retired! break out the ceremonial spoons!

Britain mourns the stepping down of their prince of now what is considered a redundant monarchy. however he does leave behind a lasting legacy.

Over the years the Prince has had 22,191 solo engagements, 229 visits to Commonwealth countries, 408 visits to other nations and given 5,493 speeches.

That's quite an effort but good ol' prince Phil didn't get that far without making a few social faux pas (read racial slurs.)

"Do you still throw spears at each other?" the Prince asked an Aboriginal elder in Australia in 2002. While in 1986, he told British students in China they would end up "slitty-eyed" if they stayed in the country much longer.

However his dinner table banter is nothing compared to his list of heroics, for instance he was rewarded by a country he served for a microsecond.

He is the only living Australian Field Marshal of the Army — the Prince was given the ceremonial rank in 1954.

That's nice, I'm going to appoint myself a Jedi knight for sitting through The Phantom Menace without banging my head against a wall.

So why is this man given such reverence, and to paraphrase Phoebe Buffet 'who gives a tiny rats @$$??' The English Empire is a shadow of it's former self and the monarchy is now an archaic relic.

Dare I ask the union Jacks-is the Monarchy relevant anymore?

edit on 4-5-2017 by Thecakeisalie because: (no reason given)

edit on 4-5-2017 by Thecakeisalie because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 05:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Thecakeisalie

So a man who doesn't do anything but wave and smile,is retiring from doing nothing??
Sounds tough....people must be devastated!!!

All that tradition...gone.

Also,didn't that other guy who does nothing,call us useless eaters??
These are people we should hold in high regard.
edit on 4-5-2017 by DrumsRfun because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 05:09 PM
link   
I saw the other thread didn't partake in it.

So that's what all the hubbub was about.

Good grief.

Retirement!

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 05:10 PM
link   
About time he's old as crap, surely he needs a rest for doing nothing.

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 05:17 PM
link   
He's a vile scumbag and an utter embarrassment to the nation. Retirement from what exactly?

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 05:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: MagnaCarta2015
He's a vile scumbag and an utter embarrassment to the nation. Retirement from what exactly?

Being the Queens​ bitch lol.

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Fair play, being able to retire when you want, not havng to struggle for the rest of your life!!

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 05:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: DrumsRfun

So a man who doesn't do anything but wave and smile,is retiring from doing nothing??
Sounds tough....people must be devastated!!!

All that tradition...gone.

Also,didn't that other guy who does nothing,call us useless eaters??
These are people we should hold in high regard.

C'mon, we can't be too tough on him, he may have got carpal tunnel syndrome from all that waving he did and he may have foot in mouth disease from all those speeches he gave.

My grandfather served in Korea and ball danced well into his eighties, where is his news headlines?

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 05:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: DarkvsLight29

Funny that. I Googled why he's a prince and she's the queen and did some reading. Once I got past the part about how he began his romance with her as an 18 year old sending love letters to 13 year old her, then navigated the muddy waters of how they are actually cousins, I realized I was basically reading about Jerry Lee Lewis with a silver spoon and some pocket jingle and stopped reading on it. I don't understand anglophiles, I really don't. We fought and won a major war to not have to give a rat's hair ass cheek what the royals status was, so now we faun all over them and our television "news" treats them like front page business.

Makes little to no sense. But, on the good side, we do have Lizzy to thank for inspiring some excellent music out of the Sex Pistols, so for that we thank you.

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 05:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cobaltic1978
Fair play, being able to retire when you want, not havng to struggle for the rest of your life!!

Well, not many 96 year olds still work.

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 05:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Thecakeisalie
Are you sitting down? you better be and hold your breath-prince Phillip retired! break out the ceremonial spoons!

Britain mourns the stepping down of their prince of now is what is considered a redundant monarchy. however he does leave behind a lasting legacy.

Over the years the Prince has had 22,191 solo engagements, 229 visits to Commonwealth countries, 408 visits to other nations and given 5,493 speeches.

That's quite an effort but good ol' prince Phil didn't get that far without making a few social faux pas (read racial slurs.)

"Do you still throw spears at each other?" the Prince asked an Aboriginal elder in Australia in 2002. While in 1986, he told British students in China they would end up "slitty-eyed" if they stayed in the country much longer.

However his dinner table banter is nothing compared to his list of heroics, for instance he was rewarded by a country he served for a microsecond.

He is the only living Australian Field Marshal of the Army — the Prince was given the ceremonial rank in 1954.

That's nice, I'm going to appoint myself a Jedi knight for sitting through The Phantom Menace without banging my head against a wall.

So why is this man given such reverence, and to paraphrase Phoebe Buffet 'who gives a tiny rats @$$??' The English Empire is a shadow of it's former self and the monarchy is now an archaic relic.

Dare I ask the union Jacks-is the Monarchy relevant anymore?

I had to laugh at the retirement idea I have to say, and 'making a few social faux pas' is probably an under statement.
But I guess he is human, likes a bevy, and while I guess what would normally be a faux pas in a formal setting, would have been often funny with his mates in his london club. But this retirement thingy, is a bit of a struggle to work out..will he still have to walk behind the Queen for instance, or can he now grab her by the arm and say "Let's go boogie Nelly" or just disappear from view altogether?

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 05:55 PM
link   

But I thought being a monarch was a God given birthright ?

How can one retire from a position bestowed on by God ?

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 05:57 PM
link   

For some i believe this is important, different cultures and different customs? But im sure a JEdi warrior knows the difference

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Because he married into the crown which is why he is not called King. The Queen was the one with the birthright claim.

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 05:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

Funny that. I Googled why he's a prince and she's the queen and did some reading. Once I got past the part about how he began his romance with her as an 18 year old sending love letters to 13 year old her, then navigated the muddy waters of how they are actually cousins, I realized I was basically reading about Jerry Lee Lewis with a silver spoon and some pocket jingle and stopped reading on it. I don't understand anglophiles, I really don't. We fought and won a major war to not have to give a rat's hair ass cheek what the royals status was, so now we faun all over them and our television "news" treats them like front page business.

Makes little to no sense. But, on the good side, we do have Lizzy to thank for inspiring some excellent music out of the Sex Pistols, so for that we thank you.

Didn't know they were cousins, they must love incest in the morning lol.

I agree they're always on the news taking or doing something that most don't care about, i also agree about Lizzy and the Pistols, now that's good music.

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Whay does he need to retire from? Holding his crown too long?
Dude can sleep in my grave for all I care.

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 06:12 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Yes, only in a nation this tragically warped can a man groom his underage cousin, marry her and spend the rest of his life living off taxpayers while being praised for it.

I wish we could do away with the entire obsolete moronic family.
edit on 4-5-2017 by MagnaCarta2015 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 06:21 PM
link   

So the professional plaque giver is retiring?

Why is this rant worthy?

Just raise a pint and go on with your day.

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Didn't know they were cousins, they must love incest in the morning lol.

I agree they're always on the news taking or doing something that most don't care about, i also agree about Lizzy and the Pistols, now that's good music.

They are third cousins, so fairly distant....You could nearly say, presumably third cousins at that distance if say one generation was in the area of, "Your daddy ain't your daddy, but your daddy don't know"
edit on 4-5-2017 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Meh.... who cares?

I'm an American, royal titles mean squat to me.

I have more respect for the homeless guy that goes around picking up cigarette butts for a few bucks a week in the parking lot at my job than someone who has a title because they shacked up with someone else who has a title just for being born.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join