It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Facebook conducted research to target emotionally vulnerable and insecure youth

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Full Title: "Leaked document reveals Facebook conducted research to target emotionally vulnerable and insecure youth"

Facebook caught doing social engineering experiments again? This time, profit is the motive. Does Zucky have any moral compass at all??

FACEBOOK has come under fire over revelations it is targeting potentially vulnerable youths who “need a confidence boost” to facilitate predatory advertising practices.

The allegation was revealed this morning by The Australian which obtained internal documents from the social media giant which reportedly show how Facebook can exploit the moods and insecurities of teenagers using the platform for the potential benefit of advertisers.

The confidential document dated this year detailed how by monitoring posts, comments and interactions on the site, Facebook can figure out when people as young as 14 feel “defeated”, “overwhelmed”, “stressed”, “anxious”, “nervous”, “stupid”, “silly”, “useless”, and a “failure”.

Such information gathered through a system dubbed sentiment analysis could be used by advertisers to target young Facebook users when they are potentially more vulnerable.

Taking advantage of troubled youth, those in need of psychological assistance, just to sell them crap they likely do not need and perhaps cannot even afford. This data could just as easily be used to forward to professionals that could reach out to these kids and help them. Not doing that, when knowing full well they are troubled, IMO, is tantamount to taunting and bullying, and could lead to assisted suicide of a troubled soul.

Facebook’s Data Use Policy warns users that the company “may use the information we receive about you … for internal operations, including troubleshooting, data analysis, testing, research and service improvement.” Currently information about your relationship status, location, age, number of friends and the manner and frequency with which you access the site is sold to advertisers. But according to the report, Facebook is also seeking to sell ads to users concerned with insights gleaned from posts such as those concerned with body confidence and losing weight.

Full Story: Leaked document reveals Facebook conducted research to target emotionally vulnerable and insecure youth

edit on 5/4/2017 by Krakatoa because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 01:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Krakatoa

While I don't approve of those practices, it is a site that's free for the consumer. It's the consumer (and sometimes parents) responsibility to know the terms and conditions.

I personally don't have one because they sell people's information.
edit on 4-5-2017 by CriticalStinker because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Well its not hard to tell how someone is feeling when they literally have the emotions you can post on FB.

People literally put their entire lives into it.

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 01:27 PM
link   
I've gifted like $8,000 in video games to people. It's the weirdest addicting feeling, and it trends because people send you things back and start sending others games...and then you play them together...anyway, I can't afford it at all.

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 01:46 PM
link   

You should share that on Facebook and see what happens.

The problem is these practices are inescapable now, I stopped using Gmail because I sent an email to my grandmother about a broken vacuum cleaner and lo and behold I get spam for sales on vaccuum cleaners, that was a private conversation so imagine what a public network like facebook will do; they will sell your private info at the drop of a hat.

It's unethical but legal, if you have trouble being intimate with your wife would you like it if someone stood by your bed and tried to sell you a blue pill? No. I have my tricks when it comes to facebook just to screw with their heads and to let them know i'm onto them.

Happy Star Wars day, may the 4th be with you.

edit on 4-5-2017 by Thecakeisalie because: (no reason given)

edit on 4-5-2017 by Thecakeisalie because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 02:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Mordekaiser
Let me send you my wanted list ....

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 02:09 PM
link   
There are inherently Social Engineering implications here... and a piece is revealed of the puzzle that is the Snowflakization of an entire generation.

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 02:20 PM
link   
But wait there's more!

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Facebook can do whatever it wants. You sign away your rights as soon as you click 'I Accept' on the lack of privacy policy.

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Does that mean i'm still one of the invisibles and immune to all of this? Hmm feels pretty good. F#ck you Suckerberg. I knew facebook is just a social experiment. I wonder how my life would be right now if i had joined the social media cultists. I'll never know i guess.

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 10:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Thecakeisalie

I posted it on my Facebook -

- I predict that not one of my 43 'friends' will read it...

...just like none of them read the article I posted warning of the dangers of 'tech' addiction to children/teens spending too much time in front of computer/iPad/smart phone screens (MRI's showed the changes in their brains were identical to heroin addicts)..

Apparently the average person is very comfortable with their head buried in the sand..

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 11:09 PM
link   

....and people still use that site why, exactly???

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 11:27 PM
link   
a reply to: LadyGreenEyes

I can't speak for others, but the only reason I have a Facebook account is because no one in my neighborhood 'circle' of longtime 'stay-at-home mom' friends bothers to actually socialize in person or even by phone ever since the kids got old enough to arrange their own social lives..

Facebook was the only option if I wanted to stay in the loop...I rarely post anything myself, but I like knowing how everyone is - especially their kids, some of whom I really came to care for almost as much as my own..

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 03:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: lostgirl

I can't speak for others, but the only reason I have a Facebook account is because no one in my neighborhood 'circle' of longtime 'stay-at-home mom' friends bothers to actually socialize in person or even by phone ever since the kids got old enough to arrange their own social lives..

Facebook was the only option if I wanted to stay in the loop...I rarely post anything myself, but I like knowing how everyone is - especially their kids, some of whom I really came to care for almost as much as my own..

No judgement being made but just realize you get probed by aliens every time you enter that site. It's like ereptile disfunction.
edit on 5-5-2017 by libertytoall because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Not surprising. At the risk of being branded as insensitive, I believe thats called marketing.
C'mon.... you know all that matters nowadays is $$$$$$$$!
Being a good person will only get you so far. After that, you better have designer clothes, sports cars, and jewelry!
edit on 5/5/2017 by Brian4real because: Grammer

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Taking advantage of troubled youth, those in need of psychological assistance, just to sell them crap they likely do not need and perhaps cannot even afford. This data could just as easily be used to forward to professionals that could reach out to these kids and help them.

Then big pharma will get the revenue. Its an easy, 'win/win' all the way around.

posted on May, 6 2017 @ 08:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: lostgirl

I hear that. I do have an account, though I don't log in more than 2-4 times a year. Only reason I keep it is to have a connection to family that doesn't live close. These days, no one even seems to remember how to use email, because everyone depends on FB to share literally everything. I'd rather chat on the phone, or even via text, than do it there. The people I knew where we lived all moved, too, and don't really know many locals anymore. If I did, I'd be insisting on real contact, not FB!! Not worried about it now, since we'll be moving once the hubby is through school. For family, I have a sibling who stays connected via FB, so I can get updates from her.

new topics

top topics

join