It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Colbert Unapologetic and for Good Reason

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 12:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

originally posted by: Gryphon66

originally posted by: DBCowboy
a reply to: knowledgehunter0986

There are many that consider speech they don't like as "hate speech", thus worthy of censorship and condemnation.

That may be your opinion of what hate speech is, but it's not the legal description. Besides that Trump is regularly complaining about things people say about him and implying that he's going to use his dictatorial powers to shut it down.

Oddly, the right-wing is fine with that.

I never gave a definition, I simply pointed out what I have observed on this site.

Of course you gave a definition you need reminding already?:

There are many that consider speech they don't like as "hate speech", thus worthy of censorship and condemnation.

Of course, as usual, it's a waffling/weaseling definition so that you can back off of it when challenged, just as you've done now.

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 12:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: knowledgehunter0986
a reply to: Gryphon66

I would never expect you to hold yourself or your side (wherever that is) accountable anyway.

Do you ever get splinters from that fence you're trying to sit on so desperately?

Walks like a duck, talks like a duck; it's a duck.

Some ducks are fascists.

/shrug

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 12:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

Your point being? Nobody was stopping people from protesting. If a group had a problem with Colbert they were more than welcome to protest.

I can't imagine they would get much support protesting a commencement ceremony though.

My point being that he does speeches on campuses, and there is no one protesting him because of his speech and thoughts.

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 12:42 PM
link   

a reply to: SBMcG

The problem with folks like you is that you think you're in the majority. You aren't.

Most Americans are moderate and independent.

Well, I don't know the personal details of 310+ million people (I'm going to venture a guess and assume no one else does, either - or else you have A LOT of friends) so whenever I see the term "most X," I automatically go to a sense of projection (because that's what it is).

"Most Americans," is such an ignorant statement to make. To be so pompous, to consider one mans opinion as an adequate representation of 300+ MILLION individuals is the epitomization of ignorance.

When I was in college I did an experiement regarding Communism and random strangers. In my experiment, I asked one-hundred people how they felt about Communism. Out of 100 people, the vast majority (high 90's) viewed Communism as "bad," or "unfit."

Now - I then asked them to DEFINE communism, in which I received WILDY different answers.

It went to show - Americans don't know #.

link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope

Your point being? Nobody was stopping people from protesting. If a group had a problem with Colbert they were more than welcome to protest.

I can't imagine they would get much support protesting a commencement ceremony though.

My point being that he does speeches on campuses, and there is no one protesting him because of his speech and thoughts.

Perhaps you should start a movement if you're offended.

That's what the students at Berkeley did.

/shrug

link   

You're wrong, but you've let that stop you in the past.

link   

Context doesn't matter. Free speech doesn't discriminate.

Once you start to compare the context, with different situations and circumstances, that's when lines become blurry.

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 12:43 PM
link   

That's awesome!

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 12:44 PM
link   

/shrug

Protesting another's speech is nonsensical. There might be this right-wing outrage we're all pretending is everywhere, yet once we look, there is none.

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 12:45 PM
link   
a reply to: GokuVsSuperman0

He can't be fired if it's true.

link   
a reply to: RomeByFire

That's awesome!

Thanks!

link   

originally posted by: knowledgehunter0986

I would never expect you to hold yourself or your side (wherever that is) accountable anyway.

Do you ever get splinters from that fence you're trying to sit on so desperately?

Walks like a duck, talks like a duck; it's a duck.

Some ducks are fascists.

/shrug

No clue what you're even trying to allude to, but sure if it makes you happy.

Quack quack!

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 12:46 PM
link   

The problem with folks like you is that you think you're in the majority. You aren't.

As always, you're completely wrong. Conservatives are the largest group, Moderates next, Liberals dead last.

Gallup: Liberals 25%

NY Times: Moderates break for Trump

link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

Good for him.

Milo and Coulter have spoken at universities and been protested.

I still fail to see what these general statements have to do with anything regarding this thread.

link   

My comment is based on scientific polls that state that most Americans consider themselves independent.

For example ... Pew, 2016

Gallup, 2015

So, perhaps not as "ignorant" as it might seem, to speak of "most Americans" unless one discredits polls and objective measures.

/shrug
edit on 4-5-2017 by Gryphon66 because: Noted

link   

/shrug

Protesting another's speech is nonsensical. There might be this right-wing outrage we're all pretending is everywhere, yet once we look, there is none.

Oh, is that so?

There's no right-wing outrage to be found?

Your bias is showing

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 12:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: SBMcG

As always, you're completely wrong. Conservatives are the largest group, Moderates next, Liberals dead last.

Gallup: Liberals 25%

NY Times: Moderates break for Trump

LOL ... and unsurprisingly you're still blatantly lying.

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 12:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: queenofswords
This OP is about lewd, obscene, and profane language used on broadcast television......not about opposing words spoken in a live venue or on subscription cable networks.

Did you watch it live? Or did you only become sad after you were told about it by other people who had been told about it? I would venture to say that only those who are interested in Colbert's style of humour watch the show so the right wing insto-snowflakes wouldn't be offended in the first place. Oh, and speaking of Obama/Saudi bromances, as you were?
I submit the following:

link   

I based my statement that "most Americans are not liberal" in part on the sources noted here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

link   

My comment is based on scientific polls that state that most Americans consider themselves independent.

For example ... Pew, 2016

Gallup, 2015

So, perhaps not as "ignorant" as it might seem, to speak of "most Americans" unless one discredits polls and objective measures.

/shrug

Most Americans don't even vote to begin with.

False equivalency.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join