It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Colbert Unapologetic and for Good Reason

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 12:27 PM
link   
a reply to: RomeByFire

Colbert made his comments at a college university?

Damn. I was unaware of this fact.

Colbert has given many commencement speeches, none of which were protested.

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 12:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

Where did you get the notion I was defending the right? Lol

I'm merely pointing out the hypocrisy.

Don't shoot the messenger.

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 12:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope

That's awesome!

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 12:30 PM
link   
a reply to: knowledgehunter0986

No, not A ok that they aren't speaking..they should be allowed to say whatever dumb sh#t they want to say..as jjkenobi pointed out, they should be able to show the world who they are..L/R ..it's allll the same in this regard.

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 12:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: knowledgehunter0986

Where did you get the notion I was defending the right? Lol

I'm merely pointing out the hypocrisy.

Don't shoot the messenger.

The right are the only hypocrites I see here.

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 12:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: vonclod

No, not A ok that they aren't speaking..they should be allowed to say whatever dumb sh#t they want to say..as jjkenobi pointed out, they should be able to show the world who they are..L/R ..it's allll the same in this regard.

That was exactly my point, in pointing out the hypocrisy.

It was OK for a lot when it was those 2 that wanted to speak.

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 12:32 PM
link   

There are many that consider speech they don't like as "hate speech", thus worthy of censorship and condemnation.

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 12:33 PM
link   

I would never expect you to hold yourself or your side (wherever that is) accountable anyway.

link   
a reply to: queenofswords

If Colbert violated obscenity laws then he should be fined. If not then there's not much the FCC can do to punish him.

If the comments cause him to lose ad revenue then it is up to the network with how to proceed. Just like when Fox fired O'Reilly when pretty much all his sponsors pulled out.

link   

Again, it was bleeped out, and it was on late night television when standards are far more relaxed.

If it it hadn't been bleeped out, then you might have a point, but if "f-bombs" can safely be bleeped on late night with no fines, then there's really no cause for fines here since that precedent has already been set on numerous occasions.

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 12:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope

What?! Are you telling me that no windows were broken, nobody had to hire hundreds of do-nothing security personnel to control the rioting protestors, no threats were made to stop his "hate" speech because it might trigger some poor sensitive hate-hyped snowflake willing to disrupt "By Any Means Necessary"?

That's freakin' amazing!

Oh, the hypocrisy!

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Every time one of these hate-fueled leftist dirtbags opens their mouth they remind the majority of Americans (who aren't "liberal") why America has always been, and continues to be, a right-of-center nation.

The Left is desperate at this point. They're actually powerless to halt a global right-shift that started here in the U.S.A. back in 2010 and continues to this day. The Left has already lost 2 off-season elections this year and their prospects of winning any of the five 2017 House contests are low.

2018 gets worse for them as they're in real danger of losing enough seats in the Senate to give the GOP the magic 60 seats that will render Democrats even more irrelevant than they are now. I have yet to hear any political science-type opine that there's any real chance the leftists will take the House in 2018.

In between now and then, Trump is very likely to have at least one more SCOTUS nomination, and because Schumer and the Senate Dem's are morons and got punked by Trump, he can nominate a real right-winger (Please God!) and there's not a damn thing the communists can do about it.

The biggest blow Trump is 100% certain to deliver to the floundering Democrat Party is that he has well over 100 Federal judgeships to fill. That will destroy the last vestiges of entrenched liberal power in the judiciary for decades.

You never hear any liberal pundits talk about that last thing because they know that it is a true once-in-a-lifetime game-changer.

This Colbert episode is a net benefit to the good guys. He should not be fired, he should not be censored, he should be allowed to speak. It only hurts the Left every time he opens his mouth.

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 12:35 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Yea, seems like we will be going in circles for a very long time.

link   

I hear ya

link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

There are many that consider speech they don't like as "hate speech", thus worthy of censorship and condemnation.

That may be your opinion of what hate speech is, but it's not the legal description. Besides that Trump is regularly complaining about things people say about him and implying that he's going to use his dictatorial powers to shut it down.

Oddly, the right-wing is fine with that.

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 12:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66

That may be your opinion of what hate speech is, but it's not the legal description. Besides that Trump is regularly complaining about things people say about him and implying that he's going to use his dictatorial powers to shut it down.

I never gave a definition, I simply pointed out what I have observed on this site.

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 12:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: redmage

Again, it was bleeped out, and it was on late night television when standards are far more relaxed.

If it it hadn't been bleeped out, then you might have a point, but if "f-bombs" can safely be bleeped on late night with no fines, then there's really no cause for fines here since that precedent has already been set on numerous occasions.

Yea, weird how hard they cling to the idea that the FCC will do something for them even after it's been pointed out that's the wrong tree to be barking up.

Shows how desperate some folks are for a reckoning.

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 12:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66

I never gave a definition, I simply pointed out what I have observed on this site.

Yea but...strawmen are easier to attack

link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

Your point being? Nobody was stopping people from protesting. If a group had a problem with Colbert they were more than welcome to protest.

I can't imagine they would get much support protesting a commencement ceremony though.

link   
a reply to: SBMcG

The problem with folks like you is that you think you're in the majority. You aren't.

Most Americans are moderate and independent.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join