It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Colbert Unapologetic and for Good Reason

page: 23
<< 20  21  22    24 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Would love to see him just let whatever happens as a result happen and not comment on it, but that seems unlikely

a reply to: dragonridr

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 11:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: dragonridr
Im surprised Trump has not banned CBS from the white house yet to be honest. He could and hes got very thin skin but as of yet i havnt heard him reply. Actually shocked stupid crap hasnt been put on his twitter feed. Maybe they took away his phone lol

Trump may love watersports in the Kremlin but he's also an adult and doesn't cry if he's called a bad word.

The crap he's taken from all the media is amazing!
He's a great example to all the SJW's out there.

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 11:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: 3n19m470
a reply to: GokuVsSuperman0

Its homophobic because his reference to trumps mouth as being a holster for putins penis, was meant as an insult.

i think trump can gargle it without being gay.
you guys are reaching

www.merriam-webster.com...

a person who is sexually attracted to people of the same sex

colbert said he holsters it. didnt say he is attracted to him

i wish people would stop reaching and quit crying about it

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 12:04 PM
link   
a reply to: flyingdutchman2112

Sure..exept Obama is not the f'n president..and didn't storm out of an interview like a spoiled child.
You get that is what started this whole thing..right?
edit on 5-5-2017 by vonclod because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 12:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: GokuVsSuperman0
I get the SJW ppl, they hate comedians in all forms, they suck the fun and levity out of humor. But Trump supporters shouldn't give a # if they're really all about their freedom.

You know what? At this point this is how I see politics:

I honestly think this video speaks more than all sides combined can dish out about this whole situation. The only winning move is not to play;

edit on th2017000000Fridayth000000Fri, 05 May 2017 12:16:38 -0500fAmerica/ChicagoFri, 05 May 2017 12:16:38 -0500 by SoulSurfer because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 04:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3n19m470

originally posted by: Gryphon66

originally posted by: TinySickTears

originally posted by: Logarock

originally posted by: TinySickTears

originally posted by: knowledgehunter0986

Of course he insults people, he gets insulted all the time, is he not supposed to stand up for himself and instead stand there like a weak individual while he is campaigning?

Mocking a disabled person for his disabilities is totally different. I'll even go as far as saying he was trying to insult the reporter in some manner, but mocking his disabilities?

best way to stand up for yourself is to sling insults right back.....

knew we could count on the prez to be the bigger person

Really? A "co**holster"? You know at some point is all I am saying. I have had gays ream my A## out, on line and so to speak for using 'gay' as a none associative pejorative.

he didnt say anything about gay people
the people crying are the ones that brought up homosexuality...

This is a new tactic on the right ... to try to ape sympathy for minorities.

No one's buying it.

I think its more likely that it is people's way of pointing out the obvious double standard. It's like the Leftists now believe they have N-Word privileges with homophobia, racism, sexism, etc. Just as long as it's one of Them saying it, then it's ok. If anyone else says anything remotely less than wonderful about gays, minorities, women, then everyone jumps them like a pack of wolves!

I was going to say, if someone could just explain the rules, then maybe we could get somewhere. But I think I understand the rules just fine... It goes like this: You guys do whatever you want, and no matter what we do, you tell us how horrible and backward and wrong we are.

You might be correct if the double-standards on the "right" hadn't long ago reached epic proportions.

No ... it's not "like" that at all. Unless you can provide examples, you're just whistling past the graveyard of political debate.

Do you have examples of "Leftists" who believe they can use "n-words" in regard to homophobia, racism, etc?

Bet you can't. That's the difference.

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 05:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

There is plenty of racism on the left. Here's an example.

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 05:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope

There is plenty of racism on the left. Here's an example.

Some one Tweeted things that Senator Scott didn't like? I keep hearing about sensitivity and the only ones who seem sensitive these days are Republicans.

Perhaps he should be off Twitter?

Assuming that we are to trust that this is anything other than a self-pity party for Mr. Scott, what in your mind was "racist" in what he spoke of?

Surely though, since you're speaking in support of 3n19m470 ... you can actually back up their claims?

Here it is again, since you seem to be unaware of it:

t's like the Leftists now believe they have N-Word privileges with homophobia, racism, sexism, etc. Just as long as it's one of Them saying it, then it's ok.

What folks "tweeted" to Mr. Scott isn't "okay" in my book but what they are expressing are cultural terms for an individual who is disloyal to their people ... and support for a known racist like Mr. Sessions could be seen that way by some.

I guess you'd like to see them punished? Because they said something you didn't like?

edit on 5-5-2017 by Gryphon66 because: Noted

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 05:33 PM
link   

America baffles me..

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Leave Colbert alone!!!

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 06:23 PM
link   

I'm gay and voted for Trump and I do not find the statement offensive or homophobic but I do understand why some would label it such. All Trump supporters are bad (according to the media) and because of that the liberal public demonize his supporters. And even worse, anyone having anything in common with Trump are automatically labeled a Trump supporter and demonized as while. So people having an image of Trump sucking dick could/will cause others to equate oral sex between guys as a bad thing and gays become demonized even moreso.

I used to love Colbert but each and every night its the same thing in his monologues- Trump this, Trump that, why Trump, I hate Trump. He covers no other topic whatsoever. Its sickening how obsessed he is about Trump. Its one thing to crack a joke and I laugh at Trump jokes Kimmel, Fallon and Conan say but Colbert just slings insults with little to no humor in them at all.

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 06:54 PM
link   

They are racist and ethnic slurs, not "cultural terms". Your tendency to euphemism doesn't make them better. To assume a black man is a tool and subservient to his white colleagues is racism par excellence.

Do you think Senator Scott is subservient to his white colleagues, a race traitor, because he defended Sessions?

I've only ever seen Republicans push the idea of "racial color blindness, judging by the content of character and not color of the skin, while the left seems to hold onto race theorizing much like other race theorists did in the past.

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 07:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Substracto
Leave Colbert alone!!!

TOO LATE... Colbert forgot (or is too stupid to know) that the person he insulted, presides over all government agencies, including the agency that enforce broadcast rules and regulations... the FCC.

Story: thehill.com...

Now, if we can get Homeland Security to investigate CNN as a danger to America, we're in business! (I'm working on it.)

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 07:33 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

What a hero

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 08:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope

They are racist and ethnic slurs, not "cultural terms". Your tendency to euphemism doesn't make them better. To assume a black man is a tool and subservient to his white colleagues is racism par excellence.

Do you think Senator Scott is subservient to his white colleagues, a race traitor, because he defended Sessions?

I've only ever seen Republicans push the idea of "racial color blindness, judging by the content of character and not color of the skin, while the left seems to hold onto race theorizing much like other race theorists did in the past.

As usual you neglected to state the obvious qualifier "in my opinion." Your beliefs are not facts.

No, there were no "racist" words used in the Senator's Twitter that he wanted to whine about on the floor of the Senate.

The most common phrase he repeated "Uncle Tom" simply means that someone is a sell-out.

The closest to anything racist came with a cultural term for a light-skinned African American ... and you'd really have to squint at that to have it be "racist."

Racist derogatory terms are ... well ... BASED ON RACE usually implying that someone's race makes them less of a person etc.

I don't know Senator Scott. Unlike you, I'm not prone to pretending that wild suppositions are fact.

As usual, particularly with Republican/conservative agenda items, your posts demonstrate blatant even laughable bias. White nationalists are about as far right as one can get, and we have a champion of that cause in the White House.

In reality, however, these little "left/right" games are fairly puerile and boring.

/shrug

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 11:18 PM
link   
Colbert will not last much longer watch and see.He has no idea how to do anything but political satire and He is bad at it.John Stewart was at least funny and good at it.

posted on May, 6 2017 @ 12:44 AM
link   

Oh god, "your opinion". Relativist nonsense, as usual. You can just tell us your feelings indicate something doesn't feel right instead of using argument and evidence to prove it so, but that would be "puerile and boring".

Here is Wikipedia's entry on Uncle Tom

Uncle Tom is the title character of Harriet Beecher Stowe's 1852 novel, Uncle Tom's Cabin.[1] The term "Uncle Tom" is also used as a derogatory epithet for an excessively subservient person, particularly when that person is aware of their own lower-class status based on race. The use of the epithet is the result of later works derived from the original novel.

Here's the Racial Slur Database entry:

Race: Blacks

Blacks who suck up to white people. In reference to the Uncle Tom character in the famous 1852 book "Uncle Tom's Cabin" by Harriet Beecher Stowe.

Speaking of facts, have you ever heard of the Backfire effect?

People often discount evidence that contradicts their firmly held beliefs. However, little is known about the neural mechanisms that govern this behavior. We used neuroimaging to investigate the neural systems involved in maintaining belief in the face of counterevidence, presenting 40 liberals with arguments that contradicted their strongly held political and non-political views. Challenges to political beliefs produced increased activity in the default mode network—a set of interconnected structures associated with self-representation and disengagement from the external world. Trials with greater belief resistance showed increased response in the dorsomedial prefrontal cortex and decreased activity in the orbitofrontal cortex. We also found that participants who changed their minds more showed less BOLD signal in the insula and the amygdala when evaluating counterevidence. These results highlight the role of emotion in belief-change resistance and offer insight into the neural systems involved in belief maintenance, m

Source

edit on 6-5-2017 by LesMisanthrope because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2017 @ 07:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: Jobeycool
Colbert will not last much longer watch and see.He has no idea how to do anything but political satire and He is bad at it.John Stewart was at least funny and good at it.

www.huffingtonpost.com...

After the hashtag #FireColbert reached trending levels of popularity on social media earlier this week, “The Late Show with Stephen Colbert” posted its best overnight ratings since the show’s 2015 premiere week on Thursday night.

t turns out that the backlash only made him stronger. The show scored a scored a 2.5 rating, according to CBS, easily outpacing its late-night competition, NBC’s “Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon,” which topped out the night with a 1.9 rating. The margin between the two shows was the largest to date. The episode was also up 19 percent from the previous Thursday and a whopping 32 percent from the same night a year ago.

doubt he is going anywhere and still unapologetic

“If you saw my monologue Monday, you know that I was a little upset with Donald Trump for insulting a friend of mine,” Colbert told the audience. “So, at the end of that monologue, I had a few choice insults for the president in return. I don’t regret that. I believe he can take care of himself. I have jokes, he has the launch codes so it’s a fair fight.”

posted on May, 6 2017 @ 08:33 AM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

The right hasnt figured out you go after the sponsors. So he will be fine because he keeps making money.

posted on May, 6 2017 @ 10:42 AM
link   
To address a few things I read here..

Colbert isn't going anywhere; he certainly won't get fired. Even if you don't think he's funny, millions do (we do). Wouldn't it make more sense to watch another channel vs playing the delicate snowflake role?

Colbert's joke was not anti-gay (derp). It was hilarious.

The average person is cheering him for this.

This kind of backlash against a president is historical - if Colbert can whip trump with a smile, more power to him.. and keep up the good work.

Trying to censor a joke because it affects your delicate sensibilities is Un-Americanand and weak. I bet NK would love to have you join their ranks - that's right up their ally (is that gay lol). Thankfully NK isn't long for this world.

new topics

top topics

<< 20  21  22    24 >>

join