It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Colbert Unapologetic and for Good Reason

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 02:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

Making fun of people's appearance isn't satire, it's teasing. When it's passed off as satire it often has the opposite effect than intended.

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 02:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears

originally posted by: Grambler
Then Obama comes in, and all of the sudden not a mean spirited joke can be made about him by any comedian on tv, media person, or anyone else with a public voice.

Now Trumps in, and its like all of these people had been holding it in for 8 years.

I am not disgusted by any of these people making fun of Trump, I am disgusted that they were too cowardly to say anything about Obama.

i voted for obama twice. i didnt notice the jokes about him or lack of because but if what you say is true then thats bull#. obama absolutely should have been able to be crucifed/made fun of/whatever just like bush and just like trump.
absolutely....100%

my disgust comes with what i said above...

bad taste or not. it was a joke. it should be able to be said and people can tune out if they do not like that style humor.
is it funny to all? nope.
does not have to be

i dont even care about it enough to watch it cause i still have not.

i care about all these trumpets faking like they are outraged cause its homophobic or because fcc rules were violated.
its a crock.

not a single one of the people crying about this give a # about the fcc or if rules were violated.
its crap and im pretty sure everyone can see it

Agreed. I am so tired of people on all sides just waiting to be offended.

I am starting to see some strange alliances defending or opposing free speech. People like Bill Maher defending Ann Coulters right to speak, or hard core Trump supporters making the same arguments antifa makes to censor free speech.

I will defend free speech, especially comedy, regardless of rather or not it agrees with me.

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 02:05 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

Reading your post one would think there are a bunch of triggered Trump supporters.

Did you skip all the pages in this one and the previous one as well?

The general consensus is that Colbert shouldn't be fired and he has the right to free speech.

Hardly anyone is triggered or offended or even remotely upset.

(Save the extremes, which are few and far between)

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 02:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gandalf77

I'm in the same boat, and it's a good point you make. Satire/jokes aimed at an individual tend to fall into safer territory. One could always argue 'bad taste,' and I won't deny there's a point to be made in that. It does tend to fall into the category of opinion and subjectivity in a hurry. When it crosses the line to an obvious slur or caricature of a class of people, the 'bad taste' meter does tend to climb significantly for me....

I think we ared close to the same page, but I will go further than you; I don't mind jokes about classes of people.

I am a fat white guy, feel free to make fun of me for any of these traits.

Do I think when Chris Rock or Dave Chappelle make fun of white people that it is offensive? Absolutely not! To me its hilarious.

The truth is comedy is subjective. If I know someone is a racist, and they start making race jokes, it angers me. But if they are just a comedian like Bill Burr making a joke about black people, or Richard Pryor about white people, I am not offended in the least bit.

In this situation, I do not believe that Colbert is any sort of homophobe, and I don't think his joke was inteneded to be anti gay. So even though he is making fun of someone I support (less by the day by the way) I have no problem with it, and found it to be funny.

i agree with all that 100%.
i like my comedy with an edge.
im a white dude and i dig when comics make fun of white people...not offended at all

its like when schumer or whoever makes fun of rape. why get offended? she does not approve of or advocate rape. its calling attention to a serious issue through comedy.

comedy/satire does have an edge. it does push the limites.

in my opinion NOTHING should be off limits when it comes to comedy and satire.
if someone it truly out there advocating racism or terrible things like rape then i have a problem with that

if someone is calling attention to these issues via satire or comedy, thats a good thing

wonder what people think about stuff like this

randy newman is a genius and has had a very successful career

listen to the words? you think he really wants to keep black people down?
give me a break

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 02:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: knowledgehunter0986

Reading your post one would think there are a bunch of triggered Trump supporters.

Did you skip all the pages in this one and the previous one as well?

The general consensus is that Colbert shouldn't be fired and he has the right to free speech.

Hardly anyone is triggered or offended or even remotely upset.

(Save the extremes, which are few and far between)

bull#
ive read every page of this thread and the other thats open and another that was ditched.
have you read it?
there are multiple people saying he should be fired. multiple saying he should be fined.

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 02:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope

Making fun of people's appearance isn't satire, it's teasing. When it's passed off as satire it often has the opposite effect than intended.

yeah thats crap

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Kind of like when Donald mocked the disability of that reporter?

link   

Of course I read them, in fact I participated in them. I just told you that there were the extremes, but most people actually defended Colbert.

You sure you read it?

link   

I thought Michele's penis bump was funny.
But people came unglued about that one too.

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 02:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: knowledgehunter0986

Of course I read them, in fact I participated in them. I just told you that there were the extremes, but most people actually defended Colbert.

You sure you read it?

ok well the extremes are what i am focused on

some people are focused on the fact that obama was more off limits

im focusing on the oh so few extreme comments....thats what bothers me

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 02:15 PM
link   
a reply to: RomeByFire

That's been debunked, but yes he was teasing that reporter.

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 02:21 PM
link   

When Bush was President, he was a punchline for every late night comedian. Hell so was Bill Clinton. There were even shows about how bush was a moron. Then Obama comes in, and all of the sudden not a mean spirited joke can be made about him by any comedian on tv, media person, or anyone else with a public voice.

Now Trumps in, and its like all of these people had been holding it in for 8 years.

I am not disgusted by any of these people making fun of Trump, I am disgusted that they were too cowardly to say anything about Obama.

To be fair, Bush had it pretty easy just like Obama did.

That's My Bush! (originally conceived as Everybody Loves Al when it was first thought that Gore would win) was very short lived with only 8 episodes before it was cancelled in August 2001 due to costs.

After that 9/11 occurred and the narrative became, "you're either with us, or against us!". It was deemed un-American to criticize or make fun of Bush in any way for a long time. People were called "terrorists" for taking a jab at Dubbya up until it became apparent that the Iraq war was rooted in lies.

So we had back to back Presidents who enjoyed long stretches of nothing but "kid gloves".
edit on 5/4/17 by redmage because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 02:21 PM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

Perhaps a point to be made about one of the key distinctions between good satire and garden variety, mean-spirited teasing is that good satire isn't afraid to make fun of itself as well. Nothing is sacred or immune where the lens of satire is concerned. A popular example would be the Simpsons. That show loves to make fun of itself too. Indeed, while satirizing the times he lived in, Chaucer wasn't above poking fun of himself either....

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 02:30 PM
link   

a reply to: RomeByFire

That's been debunked, but yes he was teasing that reporter.

Reread your statement and tell me there's no contradiction.

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 02:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

Ya, I know..I'm not going to get too bothered about it..people are funny..me too.

I'm going out to enjoy the sun

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 02:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Gandalf77

Perhaps a point to be made about one of the key distinctions between good satire and garden variety, mean-spirited teasing is that good satire isn't afraid to make fun of itself as well. Nothing is sacred or immune where the lens of satire is concerned. A popular example would be the Simpsons. That show loves to make fun of itself too. Indeed, while satirizing the times he lived in, Chaucer wasn't above poking fun of himself either....

I think so. That was the beauty of Stephen Colbert's character from the Colbert Report. The left liked it because it imitated and made fun of right-wing pundits, and the right liked it because he ridiculed his liberal guests.

If you get a chance, read this excellent essay by Jonathon Coe on the state of satire today: Sinking Giggling into the Sea

“Satire is a sort of glass wherein beholders do generally discover everybody’s face but their own; which is the chief reason for that kind reception it meets with in the world, and that so very few are offended with it.”

-Jonathan Swift

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 02:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Deaf Alien

Reread your statement and tell me there's no contradiction.

Do you want me to hold your hand through my point? He wasn't teasing the reporters disability as was suggested. But he was no less teasing the reporter, and deservedly so.

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Oh no daddy. You said the story about him "mocking" him has been debunked then you went on to say yes he did tease him.
Get off your high horse with the "hold your hand" and "any more questions" nonsenese. It makes you look like an idiot.

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 02:36 PM
link   

You're right, it was more mocking the reporter's disability. Not really "teasing" him.

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 02:36 PM
link   
a reply to: redmage

I don't see the difference?

new topics

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join