It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Colbert Unapologetic and for Good Reason

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 01:41 PM
link   
a reply to: knowledgehunter0986

Except that I haven't really heard of a class of people known for their orange skin and small Pomeranians perched on their heads...

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 01:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66

originally posted by: knowledgehunter0986
Trump the Cheetoh face Messiah, but God forbid we call a black person a chocolate brownie, a Chinese person a bowl of noodles, a Mexican person a burrito, a white man a bottle of mayonnaise or a brown man a piece of #.

#raceequality

False equivalency.

Spray tan is not a race.

Is it ok to make fun of black people that lighten their skin?

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 01:44 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

The People vs. Larry Flynt is long settled precedent.

Satire is covered as free speech, and no one is taking Colbert's joke literally.

The joke's on Trump.
edit on 5/4/17 by redmage because: (no reason given)

link   

originally posted by: Gandalf77

Except that I haven't really heard of a class of people known for their orange skin and small Pomeranians perched on their heads...
I think they're called Trumpkins , but the jury is still out on whether or not that makes them sad.

originally posted by: Grambler

originally posted by: knowledgehunter0986
Trump the Cheetoh face Messiah, but God forbid we call a black person a chocolate brownie, a Chinese person a bowl of noodles, a Mexican person a burrito, a white man a bottle of mayonnaise or a brown man a piece of #.

#raceequality

False equivalency.

Spray tan is not a race.

Is it ok to make fun of black people that lighten their skin?

Depends...what colour?
edit on 4-5-2017 by JohnnyCanuck because: yes

link   
a reply to: Grambler

Lot of Michael Jackson jokes out there...

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 01:45 PM
link   

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 01:47 PM
link   

a reply to: RomeByFire

What's really just amazingly funny with righties lately is that they pretend to care about gays being insulted.

I guess widdle Milo has had an effect.

Naaaah.

Milo is the conservatives token boy, nothing more.

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Lot of Michael Jackson jokes out there...

Sure but there is a lot of criticism about those being in bad taste too. What about Beyonce, she lightens her skin, do you think jokes about her skin color would be deemed acceptable by most people?

By the way, I have no problem with any of these jokes, I am just asking what other peoples opinions are.

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Close indeed, but I'd say the hair looks more like a cross between Gene Simmons and a Leprechaun...

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 01:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
a reply to: Gandalf77

Not only should Colbert not apologize, he should double down on those jokes. I thoroughly enjoy watching him take it to Chumpy Cheeto and his greedy band of idiotic sycophants.

Well Trump sure does like to sue people for slander.

I hope he does.

what a baby man...
hahahahahahah

someone a few posts above you wants his career to be destroyed.

you people are unreal.
always talk about the left being triggered and being snowflakes and its people like you that are the biggest whiners of any bunch.

total joke.
its about the kids. its about fcc rules. its about what comedy should be

that is all bull# and you all know it.
youre pissed and crying cause trump was the target. simple as that.
i know it and you know it.

everyone brings up obama so i will

you know damn well that if it were said about obama you would not have a problem with it.
im 100% confident in that.

you would have no problem with comments about the hill.

it is not what was said but who was the target. for sure
bunch of babies....
fine him. fire him. destroy his career...
bunch of #

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 01:51 PM
link   

a reply to: RomeByFire

What's really just amazingly funny with righties lately is that they pretend to care about gays being insulted.

I guess widdle Milo has had an effect.

Naaaah.

thats hilarious isnt it

so far i have heard its about the kids
its slander
its about breaking fcc rules
its homophobic

those seem to be the major so called reasons for the uproar.

the reality is theyre crying because trump was the target.

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 01:52 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

The irony is extreme for sure.

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 01:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears

originally posted by: neo96
a reply to: Gandalf77

Not only should Colbert not apologize, he should double down on those jokes. I thoroughly enjoy watching him take it to Chumpy Cheeto and his greedy band of idiotic sycophants.

Well Trump sure does like to sue people for slander.

I hope he does.

what a baby man...
hahahahahahah

someone a few posts above you wants his career to be destroyed.

you people are unreal.
always talk about the left being triggered and being snowflakes and its people like you that are the biggest whiners of any bunch.

total joke.
its about the kids. its about fcc rules. its about what comedy should be

that is all bull# and you all know it.
youre pissed and crying cause trump was the target. simple as that.
i know it and you know it.

everyone brings up obama so i will

you know damn well that if it were said about obama you would not have a problem with it.
im 100% confident in that.

you would have no problem with comments about the hill.

it is not what was said but who was the target. for sure
bunch of babies....
fine him. fire him. destroy his career...
bunch of #

I don't really disagree with anything you siad here.

However, I think the bigger point is not what individuals with relatively no reach like us here on ATS think or say, but what the people with power do.

When Bush was President, he was a punchline for every late night comedian. Hell so was Bill Clinton. There were even shows about how bush was a moron. Then Obama comes in, and all of the sudden not a mean spirited joke can be made about him by any comedian on tv, media person, or anyone else with a public voice.

Now Trumps in, and its like all of these people had been holding it in for 8 years.

I am not disgusted by any of these people making fun of Trump, I am disgusted that they were too cowardly to say anything about Obama.

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 01:53 PM
link   

I'm in the same boat, and it's a good point you make. Satire/jokes aimed at an individual tend to fall into safer territory. One could always argue 'bad taste,' and I won't deny there's a point to be made in that. It does tend to fall into the category of opinion and subjectivity in a hurry. When it crosses the line to an obvious slur or caricature of a class of people, the 'bad taste' meter does tend to climb significantly for me....

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 01:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: vonclod

The irony is extreme for sure.

it should be apparent to all of us

take a look at any of the longer trump threads from the past couple months. you will see all these people in this thread crying singing a different tune when it is trump talking # about someone or someone talking about 'other' presidents and candidates.
its all right there.

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 01:58 PM
link   

I'm in the same boat, and it's a good point you make. Satire/jokes aimed at an individual tend to fall into safer territory. One could always argue 'bad taste,' and I won't deny there's a point to be made in that. It does tend to fall into the category of opinion and subjectivity in a hurry. When it crosses the line to an obvious slur or caricature of a class of people, the 'bad taste' meter does tend to climb significantly for me....

I think we ared close to the same page, but I will go further than you; I don't mind jokes about classes of people.

I am a fat white guy, feel free to make fun of me for any of these traits.

Do I think when Chris Rock or Dave Chappelle make fun of white people that it is offensive? Absolutely not! To me its hilarious.

The truth is comedy is subjective. If I know someone is a racist, and they start making race jokes, it angers me. But if they are just a comedian like Bill Burr making a joke about black people, or Richard Pryor about white people, I am not offended in the least bit.

In this situation, I do not believe that Colbert is any sort of homophobe, and I don't think his joke was inteneded to be anti gay. So even though he is making fun of someone I support (less by the day by the way) I have no problem with it, and found it to be funny.

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 01:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grambler
Then Obama comes in, and all of the sudden not a mean spirited joke can be made about him by any comedian on tv, media person, or anyone else with a public voice.

Now Trumps in, and its like all of these people had been holding it in for 8 years.

I am not disgusted by any of these people making fun of Trump, I am disgusted that they were too cowardly to say anything about Obama.

i voted for obama twice. i didnt notice the jokes about him or lack of because but if what you say is true then thats bull#. obama absolutely should have been able to be crucifed/made fun of/whatever just like bush and just like trump.
absolutely....100%

my disgust comes with what i said above...

bad taste or not. it was a joke. it should be able to be said and people can tune out if they do not like that style humor.
is it funny to all? nope.
does not have to be

i dont even care about it enough to watch it cause i still have not.

i care about all these trumpets faking like they are outraged cause its homophobic or because fcc rules were violated.
its a crock.

not a single one of the people crying about this give a # about the fcc or if rules were violated.
its crap and im pretty sure everyone can see it

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Indeed, he said some pretty repulsive things on the campaign trial, let him say it and show who he is.
Same for all pundits and comedian's.
When someone is silenced they receive victim status.

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 02:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: vonclod
a reply to: neo96

I'm just defending his right to say it..not super funny to me ..might of been worth a momentary giggle.

Don't bother defending your point of view.

For whatever reason, some folks can't seem to grasp that defending Colbert's ability to say what he said doesn't automatically equate to hating Trump, and no amount of discussion in something like six threads has helped those folks understand that.

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Well said sir. Well said.

new topics

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join