It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Colbert Unapologetic and for Good Reason

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Holy EFF!

House repealed the ACA.

link   
Also, why is Colbert saying Donald performing felllatio on Putin would be a bad thing?

Better than his candidate wanting to start WW3.

Perhaps we could get Assad and Kim Jong Un into some free love with these leaders and save the lives of millions more.

link   
a reply to: neo96

Sorry but this is the US. You can't sue someone over a joke.

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 01:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
a reply to: Gandalf77

Not only should Colbert not apologize, he should double down on those jokes. I thoroughly enjoy watching him take it to Chumpy Cheeto and his greedy band of idiotic sycophants.

Well Trump sure does like to sue people for slander.

I hope he does.

You dare criticize Dear Leader?

I summon libel laws!

Alex Jones slandering Obama - should he be put under a microscope too?

"This man is a pig and his career should be destroyed!"

You guys only care when it's directed at your side. Don't play coy, it's readily apparent.

ETA: no comment, eh? Alex Jones himself says "I'll kick your ass if you say that to my face."

But that's cool, right?
edit on 4-5-2017 by RomeByFire because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 01:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254

Sorry but this is the US. You can't sue someone over a joke.

slander n. oral defamation, in which someone tells one or more persons an untruth about another, which untruth will harm the reputation of the person defamed. Slander is a civil wrong (tort) and can be the basis for a lawsuit. Damages (payoff for worth) for slander may be limited to actual (special) damages unless there is malicious intent, since such damages are usually difficult to specify and harder to prove. Some statements, such as an untrue accusation of having committed a crime, having a loathsome disease or being unable to perform one's occupation, are treated as slander per se since the harm and malice are obvious and therefore usually result in general and even punitive damage recovery by the person harmed. Words spoken over the air on television or radio are treated as libel (written defamation) and not slander on the theory that broadcasting reaches a large audience as much as if not more than printed publications.

dictionary.law.com...

The joke's on Colbert.

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 01:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gandalf77
Not only should Colbert not apologize, he should double down on those jokes.
I thoroughly enjoy watching him take it to Chumpy Cheeto and his greedy band of idiotic sycophants.

Rude? Yes. Crude? Yes. And, I would add, spot on.
Like it, love it, want more of it.
And it's not like there's a shortage of material. Trump ensures job security for folks like Colbert on a daily basis.

It's not like he was insulting a class of people. The homophobia thing doesn't fly with me. While I don't know a lot of gay people, the ones I do know would actually find that comment funny as well. It had nothing to do with homosexuality.

If people don't like it, they don't have to watch it.

When I was in high school my boss at the time was a gay man, and he made more jokes regarding gay men than anyone else I've ever met in my life.

This is all boiling down to a form of political correctness. "You can't say that because it's offensive to someone, somewhere in the world."

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 01:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

I have come to acceot that most people in the entertainment industry have vastly different political opinions than me. In fact, not only that, I find some of them to be bad people.

However, I will not let that stop me from enjoying there work.

Colbert falls into that category for me. When I heard this joke I laughed for a good while. Who cares if its against my political ideology?

I honestly feel that embracing comedy can be a huge step to starting to have a dialogue with people we disagree with.

So I have to admonish people on the right calling for his job. These people (along with me) have criticized people on the left for try to censor conservative voices on campus. Instead of censoring, they should just come up with better arguments.

Thats how I feel with this Colbert situation. Instead of being outraged, just come up wigth a better joke, or don't watch him. Censorship is not the answer.

Exactly right. I don't mind when comedians and their complicit studio audience go sinking giggling into the sea.

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 01:31 PM
link   
I still don't think this is a homophobic remark.... Men and women all over the globe use their mouths for that particular activity which makes it such a hilarious insult. The people who think insinuating that a man would use his mouth in that fashion, is an insult purely based on gender, are the true homophones. IMO anyways.

This has been said of many women before and I didn't see anyone demanding for those men to be fired. (granted they weren't celebrities.)

I love Colbert and his show.

-Alee
edit on 5/4/2017 by NerdGoddess because: (no reason given)

edit on 5/4/2017 by NerdGoddess because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Oh god ... can you please contact Mr. Trump and have him sue Stephen Colbert over being called "Putin's C**k Holster"???

PLEEEASE!!!!!!

International headlines for days, LOL.

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 01:32 PM
link   
a reply to: RomeByFire

What's really just amazingly funny with righties lately is that they pretend to care about gays being insulted.

I guess widdle Milo has had an effect.

Naaaah.

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 01:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

Why should Trump be unapologetic ?

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 01:33 PM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

Colbert is literally just using bodily humor. It's the ultimate equalizer. Chaucer made excellent use of it in The Canterbury Tales as well. The miller responds to the stuffy knight with a crude tale laden with body language and innuendo. (And it makes for one of the funniest moments in literature.) Bakhtin points out that "body language" was literally the language of the common people. Kings and peasants alike were subject to it. I tend to think the same mechanism is at play here...

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Of course..just pointing out what you dont think is funny might be funny to others and vise versa..there is no standard.

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Trump the Cheetoh face Messiah, but God forbid we call a black person a chocolate brownie, a Chinese person a bowl of noodles, a Mexican person a burrito, a white man a bottle of mayonnaise or a brown man a piece of #.

#raceequality

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 01:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: knowledgehunter0986
Trump the Cheetoh face Messiah, but God forbid we call a black person a chocolate brownie, a Chinese person a bowl of noodles, a Mexican person a burrito, a white man a bottle of mayonnaise or a brown man a piece of #.

#raceequality

False equivalency.

Spray tan is not a race.

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 01:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Gandalf77

I agree. I don't see how it is homophobic either. But journalist Glen Greenwald, himself a gay man, seems to think so.

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 01:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: vonclod

Of course..just pointing out what you dont think is funny might be funny to others and vise versa..there is no standard.

I been laugh my rear off at people defending Colberts remarks.

For no other reason than they just hate the ever living hell out of Trump.

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 01:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

Why should Trump be unapologetic ?

He SHOULDN'T BE!!!!

Oh my god please please please get him to sue!

He'd have to prove, first, that Colbert lied. LOL

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 01:38 PM
link   

What about the oompah loompa's?

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 01:41 PM
link   

I'm just defending his right to say it..not super funny to me ..might of been worth a momentary giggle.

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join