It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Colbert Unapologetic and for Good Reason

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+12 more 
posted on May, 4 2017 @ 10:23 AM
link   
The hashtag #firecolbert went huge after Monday night's show and a website firecolbert.com was created. It was a joke, but a pretty harsh one, that sparked all this outrage from trump supporters(which is some hypocritical # but w/e) and no doubt some SJW people(that that is a thing now is just terrible, people being outraged on others behalf without knowing their point of view)

"The only thing your mouth is good for is being Vladimir Putin’s c— holster.”

The thing that bothers me is everyone calling for his resignation because it's a "homophobic" statement. Last I checked both Trump and Putin are straight and no gay people were mentioned in the monologue. Where is the homophobia? I see an insult directed towards the president, but nothing about this has anything to do with gay people.

Calling someone a c-- sucker does not mean your insult will effect the entire gay kingdom as a whole. In the weirdest move of solidarity those insufferable SJW people and Trump supporters are on the same #firecolbert bandwagon. I get the SJW ppl, they hate comedians in all forms, they suck the fun and levity out of humor. But Trump supporters shouldn't give a # if they're really all about their freedom.

Like Jerry Seinfeld said when asked why he doesn't perform at colleges anymore: people are addicted to outrage. Whether that outrage is real, fake, justified or not, it's what seems to drive people nowadays.

This whole thing is hilarious. Because if Colbert was still on comedy central no one would've cared in the least. But he's on CBS, a major network, therefor it's national news lol.
edit on Thu May 4 2017 by DontTreadOnMe because: vulgarity

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 10:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: GokuVsSuperman0
This whole thing is hilarious. Because if Colbert was still on comedy central no one would've cared in the least. But he's on CBS, a major network, therefor it's national news lol.

Yes, its the format that became the issue for him, not his joke. Got all the normies watching him instead of the more edgy comedy central old days when stewart/colbert hour block attracted mostly young hipsters who knew what jokes were and applauded at the anti-pc stuff (within limits..he got in a bit of hot water with his character ching chong ding dong or something)
edit on 4-5-2017 by SaturnFX because: (no reason given)

+17 more 
posted on May, 4 2017 @ 10:28 AM
link   
a reply to: GokuVsSuperman0

Wait a sec. Did Colbert tell it like it is?

And now right wing snowflakes are complaining? Did they get triggered?

I thought we liked people that didn't hold anything back and talked straight.

Did I miss something?

+7 more 
posted on May, 4 2017 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Calling someone a c*ck sucker does not mean your insult will effect the entire gay kingdom as a whole.

Try calling an African American a derogatory racial slur.

See how that works out.

Not very well.

Colbert isn't put on a leash it's going to cost Trump haters voters.

From the LGBT community.

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 10:33 AM
link   

It's just unbelievable how easy the media falls for the trolls that 4chan cooks up and they even believed the OK sign racist bs. They lost all credibility and don't do any research as it seems. It's hilarious and frightening at the same time. How can people be this dumb and take it for face value and run with it like it is a real story. The overall intelligence of the MSM is in decline at a rapid pace. I seriously doubt they had any integrity to begin with. So am i immune to the new intelligence draining devices or is it something else? Hey @media the next racist thing will be the rainbow flag but psst it's a secret.

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 10:36 AM
link   
He has a right to say what he thinks. That First Amendment is sacrosanct.

But...broadcast TV is not the place to do it. The FCC has obscenity rules for profanity, indecency, and obscenity. He stepped over the line. I guess he forgot he wasn't on Comedy Central anymore.

He should be fined and/or the network should be fined. It has nothing to do with free speech rights. Let him spout his opinions and drivel on a live comedy stage or cable.....not broadcast TV.

link   

originally posted by: grey580

Wait a sec. Did Colbert tell it like it is?

And now right wing snowflakes are complaining? Did they get triggered?

I thought we liked people that didn't hold anything back and talked straight.

Did I miss something?

The Hashtag was just to troll people. The majority doesn't really give a f#ck about Colbert. On the contrary he helped us Turmp supporters with that tirade there is no reason to be angry at him.

link   
a reply to: neo96
#1 by your logic you just called Trump gay, which is exactly the opposite of what I was talking about. Mentioning a dick doesn't make it gay, that's just your weird brain jumping to conclusions.

If he was calling a gay man a c*ck sucker, I would get ur African American example.

#2No one from the LGBT community is angry about this. SJW are outraged on behalf of other people, because they're just awful and out of touch with the groups of people they supposedly defend

+32 more 
posted on May, 4 2017 @ 10:38 AM
link   
If Colbert said the same thing about Obama he would have been fired.

Liberal double standards.

+1 more 
link   

No.

Colbert tried to insult Trump but by doing it insulted LGBT's.

link   

originally posted by: queenofswords
He has a right to say what he thinks. That First Amendment is sacrosanct.

But...broadcast TV is not the place to do it. The FCC has obscenity rules for profanity, indecency, and obscenity. He stepped over the line. I guess he forgot he wasn't on Comedy Central anymore.

He should be fined and/or the network should be fined. It has nothing to do with free speech rights. Let him spout his opinions and drivel on a live comedy stage or cable.....not broadcast TV.

So what did you think about the Bill Nye sh!t show and the weird sex junk song and the disturbing ice cream clip? It was cringy as hell and the overall message was pretty unnerving.

link   
The problem is two-fold.

1) Colbert is supposed to be a comedian...and this just was not funny (well, to most people anyway)
2) It was crude and inappropriate language - and of course grossly disrespectful

I don't buy into the "fire Colbert" line of thinking. Let the market decide...people will ultimately vote him in or out of his job, based on whether or not they want to listen to his pitch, and his crass level of presentation.

I will never watch him again, if I can avoid it, but mine is just one clicker.

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 10:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

I wanted to ask that for a long time. I didn't follow the whole Obama adminstration closely but was the comedy scene that harsh to him too or is Trump just fair game because he is Trump?

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 10:43 AM
link   
a reply to: neo96
Really!? tell me when he mentioned any Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual or Transgender persons? Kinda hard to insult an entire group of people without mentioning them once. Gay people do not have the rights to calling someone a c*ck sucker. I can't tell if ur just trolling me lol.

I thought you were conservative. This is some pretty snowflake-y sh*t.

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 10:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

You are so right....and everybody knows it. We are sick of the double standards.

Can you imagine a Colbert-style rant about Obama's "gayness" using lewd words and verbal imagery describing his bromances with say...leader of Saudi Arabia or Iran.

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 10:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Perfectenemy

Comedians hit on every president.
Some more than other, deservedly so.

This was crude and crossed the line of good taste....

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 10:47 AM
link   
a reply to: mobiusmale

Perhaps it's just my experience with german comedians but Colbert was pretty tame in contrast to our german comedians in the 90s. Why is this such a big deal? Is it an american thing?

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 10:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

It also was against FCC rules pertaining to broadcast television. Thus, he and the network should be fined. That is what we should be demanding.

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 10:50 AM
link   
a reply to: queenofswords
Lol Republicans complaining about double standards when Trump is your president. You see the irony in it right? Because any other human being would've had their political careers end with any one of the myriad of controversial statements he's made or not releasing his tax returns despite every other candidate for president doing so.

If you don't care about double standards when it applies to Trump. Why in god's name would democrats care lol.

Hipocracy is everywhere, but we only seem to see it on w/e team we're rooting against.

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 10:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: Perfectenemy
a reply to: mobiusmale

Perhaps it's just my experience with german comedians but Colbert was pretty tame in contrast to our german comedians in the 90s. Why is this such a big deal? Is it an american thing?

It's a big deal because, while it would be okay on cable where people subscribe to view programs, or on a live stage where people pay to be "entertained", etc., we have civilized rules regarding obscenity profanity, and lewdness on broadcast TV. We still have some scruples and a tad left of a moral compass.
edit on 4-5-2017 by queenofswords because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join