It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Healthcare and hospitals should all be not-for-profit

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 09:00 AM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

You seem to have no morals.

That is quite a reach.

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 09:03 AM
link   
I used to work at a private non profit hospital and they seemed to be making as much money as the for profit hospitals so I assume they weren`t charging less than the for profit hospitals.

They were really cheap about spending money on a lot of things but on other things they were very lavish in spending money.

erecting new buildings and repeated remodeling of the existing buildings continued non stop for the entire 10 years I worked there.
The lobby looked like the lobby of a 5 star hotel, I guess since they were a non profit they had to keep spending all that money every year so they wouldn`t show a profit at the end of each year.
I guess greed made it impossible for them to just lower their prices so that they would truly be a non profit and not have all those profits that they had to spend by the end of the year to maintain their non profit status.

how does having a 5 star hotel quality lobby do anything to improve patient care or lower healthcare costs?
edit on 4-5-2017 by Tardacus because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 09:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy
a reply to: seasonal

Have you seen how a private health care co treats it's patients with no insurance-they don't.

The same way a lender treats a person applying for a mortgage when they have a low credit rating and no job.

But health care is a right!

Shouldn't a roof over one's head be a right too?

So I want a really expensive house like Bill Gates lives in.

We enter the area where the celebrity baby with a heart condition argument is.

This is about health care, let's not muddy the waters with other particulates please.
edit on 4-5-2017 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 09:05 AM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

I would imagine that if these are truly non profit, then we should start to look at costs.

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 09:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal

a reply to: seasonal

Have you seen how a private health care co treats it's patients with no insurance-they don't.

The same way a lender treats a person applying for a mortgage when they have a low credit rating and no job.

But health care is a right!

Shouldn't a roof over one's head be a right too?

So I want a really expensive house like Bill Gates lives in.

We enter the area where the celebrity baby with a heart condition argument is.

This is about health care, let's not muddy the waters with other particulates please.

I was showing the slippery slope that we are sliding down.
Anyway, is being homeless healthy?

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 09:09 AM
link   
a reply to: GodEmperor

Life style has some impact, but a vegan thinks eggs are "bad" lifestyle choice. Vegetarian thinks any meat is bad. Non smokers think smoking is bad. Non drinkers may think booze is bad. Weight lifters may think jogging is bad. Straight people may think that a homosexual lifestyle in bad. Muslims may think Christian lifestyle is bad........

You have a moving target there.

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 09:11 AM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

Corporations take money from my paycheck too. I don't understand why people defend corporation bureaucracy. It's no different and just as bad as any government bureaucracy.

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 09:12 AM
link   

a reply to: dfnj2015

You seem to have no morals.

That is quite a reach.

Well, keep reaching and maybe you will find the capacity some day.

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 09:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Tardacus

Great post.

The hospitals ( and public schools) had a you know what measuring contest going on with each other.

One day the hospitals may wake up and remember it is about making people well again.

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 09:14 AM
link   
doesn`t the bill of rights or the constitution guarantee every American the right to life?

so, if you die because you can`t afford proper healthcare then that means that your right to life has been violated by the insurance company,the hospital or someone.

if it`s a "right' that only the wealthy can afford then it isn`t actually a "right" it`s a privilege.

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 09:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: musicismagic

originally posted by: dfnj2015
The reason government sucks is because Republicans make it so:

"House Republicans want to replace the protections Obamacare provides for people with pre-existing conditions with federally funded high-risk pools."

money.cnn.com...

There is absolutely no profit in insuring people with pre-existing conditions. This is why we have to nationalize all hospitals and healthcare insurance providers. The profit motive is immoral. It let's people die because there is NO profit in trying to get them to live as long as possible.

Come on, are you smoking pot tonight.

I would smoke pot if it were legal. Pot is a much cheaper and more effective drug than anything coming out of Big Pharma. Making pot legal would certainly help with our out-of-control healthcare costs.

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 09:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tardacus
doesn`t the bill of rights or the constitution guarantee every American the right to life?

so, if you die because you can`t afford proper healthcare then that means that your right to life has been violated by the insurance company,the hospital or someone.

if it`s a "right' that only the wealthy can afford then it isn`t actually a "right" it`s a privilege.

Corporations have the right to gouge the American people and fleece them for everything they have with low quality services designed to maximize profit for the CEO.

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 09:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Tardacus

Ok, for everyone who thinks the present system should continue, how can it? I mean, actually how can it?

The ACA did in fact accelerate the crash that in my opinion is coming, but what can be done to tame the insatiable profit motives?

There is no rhyme of reason to costs. There medical industry needs it's wings clipped and clipped back pretty far.

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 09:23 AM
link   

I live in New Jersey. On rainy days trucks just drive down the New Jersey Turnpike with the values open to get rid of toxic waste. How isn't my responsibility to take care of myself when there is a profit motive for companies to pollute? A company has no incentive to keep the environment clean so people do not get cancers.

Avoiding cancer is--well, unavoidable in many instances. That doesn't mean that we shouldn't all take personal responsibility with the things that we can control and try to live as healthy a lifestyle as possible. If you see something like what you claim is happening and use that as an excuse to not try (which is basically what your comment says), that's on you, and the rest of us in your insurance pool shouldn't have to subsidize that personal choice that you make.

As for living in New Jersey--you could always move to somewhere else. I have lived in California (because that's where I grew up), Germany (because of the military), Tennessee (because of the military and then because of jobs) and then the Cincinnati area (again, because of jobs). Nothing says that you chained to New Jersey, land of pollution and cancer (apparently).

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 09:24 AM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

Would personal responsibility be starting to tame the medical industry? The costs are absolutely out of control and it is only going to go up.

Avoiding cancer is--well, unavoidable in many instances. That doesn't mean that we shouldn't all take personal responsibility with the things that we can control and try to live as healthy a lifestyle as possible.

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Corporations have the right to gouge the American people and fleece them for everything they have with low quality services designed to maximize profit for the CEO.

While CEOs make a lot of money, their compensation and that of other top officers at a company is miniscule in the overall cost structure. Your lack of understanding of business, supply chains, and economics is astounding.

NOTHING IS FREE. You are ranting about hospital profit, but what about the Doctor profit? How much should Doctors make for their services? What about nurses? What about Pharmacists? What about any one in the supply chain that has to get paid and stay in business?

It cost money to provide quality healthcare. Profit is what drives a lot of the innovation in healthcare. Profit is the ultimate motivator for innovation and why free markets always out innovate any other economic system and ultimately drives down cost.

All of the problems with our healthcare system can be traced back to government interference in the market starting back in WWII when insurance was tied to your employment to get around wage controls.

Sure the government could open up the checkbook, but what are you willing to give up in return? Government does not have an unlimited supply of money. Let's make a deal... I'll give you single payer or socialized medicine and you have to give up Dept of Education maybe? Or how about HUD? Or how about the NEA? What should we cut in the military? Which sh*thole third world country should we stop supporting?

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 09:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

"NOTHING IS FREE."

*except for military expenditures

Student loan debt bubble? Meh.

WE NEED TO INVADE NORTH KOREA!!!1!1!1!

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 09:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated
Like this?

Pharma's Middlemen Get Fatter: PBM, Health Plan Rebates Near $58bn
scrip.pharmamedtechbi.com...

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Not for profit means government administered.

I've seen how government works.

Nothing is perfect, but trusting the administration of healthcare to the government is what has the system as screwed up as it is now.
Medicare/Medicaid.

Have you seen how big buisness works???

Lol
We only have 2 options..

Trust big buisness who is solely motivated by profit, and what's best for America isn't even on their to do list.

Or trust the government who ATLEAST is beholden to the people through the voting process...

edit on 4-5-2017 by JoshuaCox because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 09:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

While CEOs make a lot of money, their compensation and that of other top officers at a company is miniscule in the overall cost structure. Your lack of understanding of business, supply chains, and economics is astounding.

NOTHING IS FREE. You are ranting about hospital profit, but what about the Doctor profit? How much should Doctors make for their services? What about nurses? What about Pharmacists? What about any one in the supply chain that has to get paid and stay in business?

It cost money to provide quality healthcare. Profit is what drives a lot of the innovation in healthcare. Profit is the ultimate motivator for innovation and why free markets always out innovate any other economic system and ultimately drives down cost.

All of the problems with our healthcare system can be traced back to government interference in the market starting back in WWII when insurance was tied to your employment to get around wage controls.

Sure the government could open up the checkbook, but what are you willing to give up in return? Government does not have an unlimited supply of money. Let's make a deal... I'll give you single payer or socialized medicine and you have to give up Dept of Education maybe? Or how about HUD? Or how about the NEA? What should we cut in the military? Which sh*thole third world country should we stop supporting?

What about the pharmaceuticals companies and stupid thing with "company reps" that travel around and push pills???

What competition?
Lol.

There is profit, which is reasonable.

Then there is what we have in the U.S.

Oh the weeping and gnashing of teeth if a foodstamp recipient goes to the gmo isle for fruits and vegetables.

So there goes your "lifestyle choices" argument.

Its obvious to anyone with half a brain what is causing the explosion of health issues in this country.

Choices the people did not make. They snuck the gmo in, then denied it was dangerous, and now every grocery store has a non-gmo isle.

It is exactly what it looks like.

Kill the 100,000,000 useless eaters a.s.a.p.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join