It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's wrong with the economy Exhibit C, School curriculum's suck!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 11:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults
We educate people for nearly 20 years and almost 60% of them graduate with degrees and no marketable skills. Ok, so 18 year olds make bad choices under poor guidance, I get it. I do not hold 18 year olds solely responsible for the choices they make, after all I was a total moron until I hit 25.

Why should we only teach 4 years of college?

I've got kindergarten, 12 years of grade school, 12 years of college, and 1 more year (though lighter semesters) to finish. Maybe the problem is that you expect 12 years of teaching at a slow pace, followed by 4 years of cramming to teach people, when building up a proper breadth of knowledge takes far longer.

I have been teaching kids for years and something I have come across is that they are in fact more teachable than adults and learn at faster paces and with the right attention are equally as skilled. My position is that if we focus our education system less on well roundedness and more on specialty we will achieve higher grades of success and our populace will be far more skilled and able to achieve more professionally and personally.

An assembly line is precisely how you go nowhere in life, Each person gets a very small amount of training to perform a specific task. It leads to class stagnation, and a world in which no one can ever excel. Only the management get the skills/opportunity to do more. Instead, I would counter with the precise opposite of what you want. People should be polymaths. Being experts in multiple disciplines and being able to leverage knowledge from different and unique fields to solve problems. That is how you move forward in a society. Part of how you get that is having well rounded people. Does the population benefit by not exposing students to science, math, philosophy, and literature?

Shouldn't people learn to read and write properly? To argue their points? To learn to negotiate? To learn the laws related to their field?

Being well rounded is a good thing. To be successful at it, requires the ability to approach a lot of problems in a lot of different ways, and that leads to being a better problem solver.

Here in our Cyber Security degree we have what I can only consider to be a COMPLETE WASTE OF VALUABLE TIME!

That program is a waste of time:
#1 It's an Associates Degree, it is impossible to get a well rounded education in two years.
#2. It's an IT vs CS look at cyber security.
#3. It doesn't teach you how to break into your own network to test the security.
#4, It doesn't even teach any programming on the road to doing that

It claims to be a cyber security class, but is teaching things like how to assemble a computer rather than how to infiltrate a network, capture data, and proxy a server for information. Or how to measure how long your file will remain secure given it's encryption.

I've take a couple cyber security classes. The first thing we did? Write programs to hack the webcams of the laptops of the other students in our class.

Your school has issues in it's program but it's not the wellness class.

Cyber security is a totally massive topic that requires very high technical skill and leaves business most at risk. Now why in the hell are they wasting students time on health classes when they should have learned that in elementary school??

I don't know. Why is your "highly technical" school not teaching you to sanitize database inputs and implement RSA?

My solution to this problem is to decentralize the entire process and give schools and teachers the autonomy they need to create programs that compete with other autonomous systems. Competition is the driving force behind innovation and parents will be able to choose to put their kids in the most successful and well programs this country should have to offer.

They clearly have too much already, because that program you linked has the autonomy to screw over every student who thinks completing it will lead to a better future.

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 11:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
Are 18 year olds smarter today than they were 50 years ago?

Somewhat. They're exposed to a different body of knowledge, and their teachers are generally of a higher quality.

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 11:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults
Larger bureaucracies and more centralization and higher taxes cannot fix the mess the government already create.

Getting the government out of business is the only way for this to be fixed.

Sanders was not the solution.

So you want higher tuitions? Have you ever done the math on the business side of a university? I did for the one I attend. They make virtually nothing off me. Cutting subsidies and raising tuition leaves society out of pocket by the same amount regardless.

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 11:34 PM
link   
The entire school system is a joke. We've had a couple generations of cultural Marxism and you can see it at schools like Berkely now. It's not just the students, it's the professors. We don't even teach civics anymore. The entire system needs to be blown up, but it'll never happen. It's what's actually killing this country from the inside. You see the stupidity every day
edit on 3-5-2017 by PepeTalk because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 11:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan

Somewhat. They're exposed to a different body of knowledge, and their teachers are generally of a higher quality.

lol

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 05:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: PepeTalk

originally posted by: Aazadan

lol

In other words, you can't refute it.

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 06:29 PM
link   
I had always thought that business and education should handshake from the ground up educating the individual instead of acquiring score cards every month.
I think TWO more years are required for single living training and job introduction,by this time the student will have earned a vehicle ,much like insurance is deducted from his earnings bank held until final graduation
ALL of it MUST be done SECULAR of business oversight.
TO INCLUDE: ETHICS/critical thinking,ALL WORLD HISTORY AND CIVICS

and HAWKISHLY watched by Irate Sgt Majors,as punishment for their service.

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 08:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: cavtrooper7
I had always thought that business and education should handshake from the ground up educating the individual instead of acquiring score cards every month.
I think TWO more years are required for single living training and job introduction,by this time the student will have earned a vehicle ,much like insurance is deducted from his earnings bank held until final graduation
ALL of it MUST be done SECULAR of business oversight.
TO INCLUDE: ETHICS/critical thinking,ALL WORLD HISTORY AND CIVICS

and HAWKISHLY watched by Irate Sgt Majors,as punishment for their service.

You're not making much sense. Something you may not realize though is that most college majors will heavily cite industry in order to figure out their needs. They'll even go as far as to hire professors who are in the industry (generally doing industry/academics part time) to stay current.

For example, at the community college I attended, the content of our web programming major was written almost entirely by local businesses. After I graduated, and they retooled the program to aim it at some different companies (government programming jobs vs web design), they significantly changed many programs in order to target those local businesses.

In my current major at a 4 year university, they keep one professor on staff specifically because he works in the industry part time too. He's a bad, unreliable professor but his professional experience makes him invaluable to designing course content. Recently they brought in another guy too from an influential company.

College is very good about teaching what businesses are looking for. You get the occasional school that's a bit misguided (like the one linked earlier in this thread) but overall they have a good success rate.

Now, high school is a little different. I think most high schools do it wrong, they're caught between a junction of trying to teach basic life skills, job schools, and general knowledge. I think this split causes them to usually fail at all three. 12 grades simply are not enough.

For example,

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 02:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

Hence the extra years of tutelage ,aka Home economics and APARTMENT use as well as a more effective job placement system which is CRITICAL.

GRADING as some comparator can hide talents and some skills are tactile based,depending on HOW an individual learns.

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 08:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: cavtrooper7

Hence the extra years of tutelage ,aka Home economics and APARTMENT use as well as a more effective job placement system which is CRITICAL.

GRADING as some comparator can hide talents and some skills are tactile based,depending on HOW an individual learns.

If you learn it, you'll get through the grading process. Maybe not with straight A's, but you'll pass.

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 03:10 PM
link   

It's still predominantly rote memory.
HOWEVER,all the more goaded by financial gain,measured to the age group.THUS encouraging math and money handling skills for later as well as administering management tools.

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 08:08 PM
link   
a reply to: cavtrooper7

Rote memory is not how you learn something. I have never memorized something in my life, when asked a question for something I rederive the theory/process on the spot.

I'm pretty decent at math, I never memorized a times table, I actually do the math each time.

Memorizing answers is not how you learn a subject.
edit on 5-5-2017 by Aazadan because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 08:39 PM
link   

TELL that in the city kids.
I KNOW ,I paint.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join