It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In defense of Stephen Colbert

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 05:15 PM
link   
The way I see it, if he did in fact violate some law and can be terminated for it, well that's not my business and I'll let them handle it.

I'm taking this at face value, and it's as simple as, do I think Colbert should be fired for a joke?

Easy answer, nope.

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 05:16 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

So you CAN'T say the 'C' word for vagina..
...But you CAN say the 'C' word for penis?

Sounds a bit sexist.

link   

originally posted by: SBMcG
I buzzed through this thread quickly so forgive me if someone else has already stated this obvious fact, but imagine the weeping, wailing, and gnashing of teeth this would have elicited from leftists if Obama had been the subject of these "jokes" rather than a Republican.

Colbert would have been vilified as a "racist" and demands for his firing would have come from every talking head in the MSM, every leftist politician (can you image talking butt hole Maxine Waters going off on that?) in America would be marching in the streets.

It's a total double standard as usual...

That being said, I completely agree with the OP -- Colbert should not be fired for this.

That's why I do try to stay consistent.

link   

originally posted by: SBMcG
I buzzed through this thread quickly so forgive me if someone else has already stated this obvious fact, but imagine the weeping, wailing, and gnashing of teeth this would have elicited from leftists if Obama had been the subject of these "jokes" rather than a Republican.

Colbert would have been vilified as a "racist" and demands for his firing would have come from every talking head in the MSM, every leftist politician (can you image talking butt hole Maxine Waters going off on that?) in America would be marching in the streets.

It's a total double standard as usual...

That being said, I completely agree with the OP -- Colbert should not be fired for this.

Yes, the double standard that the right applies to the left and the double standard that the left applies to the right have been noted.

Several times.

Welcome to the party.

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 05:17 PM
link   
WE did at one time have censorship, movies are still rated,

TV shows could not cross a certain line.

If censorship breeds more censorship, then why are we more filthy and disgustingly vile than ever.

Apparently censorship does not breed more censorship.

You may hate Trump, but have some respect for the office.

link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Punishment for free speech is being silenced. Getting fired is not being silenced.

link   
a reply to: IAMTAT

"Cooties".

There.

Dammit. I said it.

link   

originally posted by: Kali74

Punishment for free speech is being silenced. Getting fired is not being silenced.

Getting fired is being punished.

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 05:18 PM
link   
a reply to: IAMTAT

I honestly don't think he planned to go that far, but I'll bet he lost it a bit while he was monologuing.

That's a necessarily bad thing if he was in a venue, but he was on network where there used to be standards.

link   

edit on 3-5-2017 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

link   
WE did at one time have censorship, movies are still rated,

TV shows could not cross a certain line.

If censorship breeds more censorship, then why are we more filthy and disgustingly vile than ever.

Apparently censorship does not breed more censorship.

You may hate Trump, but have some respect for the office.

link   
a reply to: spiritualzombie

I don't think most people care what Colber said.

And for those who do, who cares.

People need to quit getting butt hurt over words.

link   

originally posted by: Deny Arrogance
I thought saying "c- holster" was against fcc rules though?

Are all forms of c-sucker legal to say on broadcast tv and radion now?

That phrase is not even allowed here, is it?

I guess that opens the door to all kinds of possibilities like calling Gay Pride Day "C-Holster day" since it is no longer considered offensive or homophobic, right?

C----holster is the new norm stamped for approval by progressive loons.

Hillary tried to hide a lot of c----holsters, Trump liked to talk about grabbin him some c---holster.

This liberal c---k-holster stuff is really fun, everyone should try, it's FCC ignored and you can expect full sanctuary in Leftist safe spaces across the country when challenged for saying it. Remember to take their crayons to practice communism so you'll fit right in.

And I agree, C----holster pride day is going to be a doozey.
edit on Wed May 3 2017 by DontTreadOnMe because: vulgarity not allowed

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 05:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Stormdancer777

I don't think we'll see any respect for the office of president.

link   
a reply to: neo96

It is not, quit shivering under your bed.

link   

originally posted by: amazing

originally posted by: neo96
a reply to: Kali74

I don't see it as comparable but I also don't see anything wrong with people complaining about what Colbert said even though I thought it was accurate and hilarious.

In the name of 'accuracy'.

How does Colbert's ad homenim relate to any given political issue ?

Or just personally insulting the 'right' just SOP when the LEFT can't argue any give political issue legitimately?

But the problem is the RIGHT can't argue any given political issue legitimately either. Both sides are idiots.

Definitely wrong about that.

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 05:20 PM
link   

It is not silencing.

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 05:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deaf Alien
LOL. Love how some Trump supporters are triggered by this.
I don't think he should be fired either but that's up to the company and depends on the contract.

Nobody is triggered. The issue is, as it is on most of the OP's threads that you so hastily disagree with, is FREE SPEECH.

Total deja vu. Another free speech thread, another 'oh, are you TRIGGERED' response by you, another *yawn* by me.

The OP, and many others, agree that Colbert can say what he wants. We don't have to watch him. I stopped watching him years ago after his "truthiness" became tiresome. I didn't find it offensive, but I cannot speak for the LBGTQ community.

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 05:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74

It is not silencing.

Of course. . . it's just punishment for speaking.

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 05:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

It was a joke, the only instance we know of was consensual if he in fact did do it.

He's a liar unless he speaks of wrongdoing is what I'm hearing, then believe him.

I don't support him, I don't trust him. That being said he was obviously joking.

I was making a point though, people only get offended if it's by the other party.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join