It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In defense of Stephen Colbert

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 05:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74
a reply to: DBCowboy

In North Korea they jail you and your entire family or shoot you in the head in public for speech.

In America that is the next logical step for the Antifa's.

They gots to learn how to walk before they get to run.

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 05:05 PM
link   
a reply to: IAMTAT

Bill O'Reilly isn't on at 11:35.

If the FCC determines that he did in fact violate their regulations then I expect they'll do something about it. So far there hasn't been a peep, though. Personally, looking at the regulations, I don't think it rises to the level of "obscene" content. More likely that it would be deemed "profane" or possibly "indecent," both of which are allowed after 10 pm in certain contexts.

link   

In North Korea they jail you and your entire family or shoot you in the head in public for speech.

Now you're just arguing the severity of punishment, not the fact that punishment exists.

link   

I disagree, I used to love watching his show, but lately all the crap been spew by these so call TV celebrities is just becoming an example of how the media is been use as a political tool by those that their job is to entertain

He is now one of the others.

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 05:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

originally posted by: spiritualzombie

a reply to: spiritualzombie

I figured your response would be something like that.

Two dudes joking around vs a comedian, same thing.

Yeah.... really not the same thing....

While I'm on neither side of either of these issues.... I just have fun watching partisan people chase their tail.

Be consistent. A joke is a joke and private citizens have the right to make them.

It's not a partisan thing to say these two things are not the same. Colbert is insulting a president who insults everyone. Trump comes up with childish insults for everyone, so at most, Colbert is giving him a dose of his own medicine.

Now you want to compare that to Trump bragging about his ability to abuse power over women, and his privilege to grab women by their p###y? I love Colbert but if I heard him brag about such a thing my respect for him would go way down. It's such a character reveal.

Colbert is simply insulting the president who insults everyone (except Putin). It's awesome comedy.
edit on 3-5-2017 by spiritualzombie because: (no reason given)

link   

originally posted by: Deplorable

originally posted by: DBCowboy
He's a comedian.

People keep letting him off the hook by saying this.

What he was doing wasn't comedy. It was pure unadulterated Hate.

Nah, sometimes he's really funny. I didn't find this joke funny but I don't watch him unless a small clip comes up on my facebook feed or something. Pure hate comes from the guys on Talk radio and fox news and by fox news I mean the "News shows" like Hannity, O'Reilly and talk radio like Limbaugh etc. Those guys don't even try to be funny.

And for full disclosure, I don't watch any news shows, Fox or MSNBC or ABC or nothing. and I don't even listen to sports talk shows on the radio. I don't even watch local news shows.

I get most of my news from ATS and guess what. I'm more informed than 99% of our population. LOL without any of the negativity that effects us. I'd rather make news that read the news.

link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6
a reply to: CriticalStinker

It's a good point that you're making, though. Unfortunately I would wager that it'll be lost on most. Or, if not lost, then just ignored.

Some (many?) of those who defended the p-grabbing comment months ago are now upset about the c-holster comment. Some (many?) of those that were upset about the p-grabbing comment months ago are now defending the c-holster comment.

Both sides declare the other side to be hypocritical and wrong.

Round and round the ride goes.

funny huh

something else i have noticed about trump and his tweets

when he first took office and was tweeting people were saying # about how awesome it is cause he can get his word out directly to the people without having to rely on the media.....

cut to 100 days later and the tune has changed

he says some # on twitter and these same people are like well its just twitter. 140 characters can not be stood behind blah blah blah

so at first it was awesome cause he could get his word to the people
now it dont matter cause its 'just twitter' and twitter is not the 'official word' and # like that

ive been seeing those comments on here the past week or so...

goes along with what you said

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 05:09 PM
link   

a reply to: FissionSurplus

It's hilarious that you think DA is a lefty.

It's even more hilarious that if it walks and quacks like a duck......we have to laugh at the person who calls it a duck. I have been called a Trumpster, a Trump Troll, any number of things, which is "hilarious" because I am a third party person and would never vote republican or democrat.

Tomato, Tomatoe. Glad you enjoyed it.

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 05:10 PM
link   

a reply to: Shamrock6

We already have one chasing their tail.

The rest are smart enough not to comment. They know you can be OK with one and not the other.

But that goes for both sides. If you're cool with one you're cool with the other.

What bothered me about Trump's p*ssy grabbing comment is not that he used the word p*ssy. It's that he was stating that he will just grab women's genitals AND NOT ASK, just do it. I have a hard time believing that every time he did it, it was welcome. That means at some he probably has actually sexually assaulted women.

I don't see it as comparable but I also don't see anything wrong with people complaining about what Colbert said even though I thought it was accurate and hilarious.

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 05:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT
The 'C' word is a 'no-no' on network television...unless it's a documentary on chicken farming.

apparently not.....
maybe 20 years ago....

remember the 7 dirty words you couldnt say? the famous carlin skit

#....still cant say.....word for poop
piss....can say
#...cant say.......c word for vagina
#....cant say......f word
c--- sucker....can say
mother #er.......cant say.....mother f word
tits.......can say

things change people......hop out of the 50's.....put some shoes on mama.....get her out of the kitchen and into a fresh pregnancy romper and go enjoy life......
edit on 3-5-2017 by TinySickTears because: (no reason given)

edit on Wed May 3 2017 by DontTreadOnMe because: vulgarity not allowed

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 05:11 PM
link   
I think everyone who defended Milo and Trump over this last year has no ground for righteous indignation over Colbert. You forfeited that. You must know... you forfeited your say on what's right, what's appropriate, and what's decent.

You can't get upset over a late night talk show host when you would accept even worse from the president.
edit on 3-5-2017 by spiritualzombie because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 05:12 PM
link   
I don't understand why so many people care. I thought Stewart/Colbert/Oliver were all there for the college stoners; i.e. - The princesses of society. Seriously, not a big deal.

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 05:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: TarzanBeta
I don't understand why so many people care. I thought Stewart/Colbert/Oliver were all there for the college stoners; i.e. - The princesses of society. Seriously, not a big deal.

Nah there are liberal college stoners and conservative college drunks. The stoners listen to left leaning idiots and the right listen to right leaning idiots, like Hannity/Limbaugh/O'Reilly.

Those out of college, upgrade to Honey boo boo/Kardashian/Duck Dynasty.

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 05:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

I don't see it as comparable but I also don't see anything wrong with people complaining about what Colbert said even though I thought it was accurate and hilarious.

In the name of 'accuracy'.

How does Colbert's ad homenim relate to any given political issue ?

Or just personally insulting the 'right' just SOP when the LEFT can't argue any give political issue legitimately?

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 05:14 PM
link   
LOL. Love how some Trump supporters are triggered by this.
I don't think he should be fired either but that's up to the company and depends on the contract.

link   
I buzzed through this thread quickly so forgive me if someone else has already stated this obvious fact, but imagine the weeping, wailing, and gnashing of teeth this would have elicited from leftists if Obama had been the subject of these "jokes" rather than a Republican.

Colbert would have been vilified as a "racist" and demands for his firing would have come from every talking head in the MSM, every leftist politician (can you image talking butt hole Maxine Waters going off on that?) in America would be marching in the streets.

It's a total double standard as usual...

That being said, I completely agree with the OP -- Colbert should not be fired for this.
edit on 3-5-2017 by SBMcG because: Correction

link   
a reply to: spiritualzombie

Exactly! Trump is the bully with a posse cheering him on but as soon as somebody punches the bully, everybody starts preaching non violence.

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 05:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
a reply to: Kali74

In the name of 'accuracy'.

How does Colbert's ad homenim relate to any given political issue ?

Or just personally insulting the 'right' just SOP when the LEFT can't argue any give political issue legitimately?

But the problem is the RIGHT can't argue any given political issue legitimately either. Both sides are idiots.

link   

I saw it! Thought it was awesome, even though they bleeped out his actual words, I know what he said! I agree with him 100% and defend his right to free speech.

link   
a reply to: marg6043

I too am tired of crap being spewed by so-called TV celebrities. Like that one that got elected, Presi-dunce Putin's C# Holder.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join