It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In defense of Stephen Colbert

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 04:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

You're right. I wasn't. I don't even support him.

I just figured there were more relevant flaws to point out.

link   

originally posted by: FissionSurplus
a reply to: dukeofjive696969

Why, thank you! I sincerely meant every word of it too.

WELCOME to the internet. I wouldn't take off your helmet, though, it can get a little rough up in here.

Oh man, at least bring some new material lol.

Recycled troll bait.

edit on 3-5-2017 by dukeofjive696969 because: (no reason given)

link   
a reply to: neo96

A very cogent point.

We can say it, but...

...should we. Good taste would say no.

But, in the end, he can. ...and that's where my interest ends. The next time I watch this crass individual will be the first...

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Side note off topic:

Interesting to see those that were once for censoring conservatives, be on board for free speech now.

#firecolbert = protest

The difference here? The speaker actually spoke before the protest.

Consistency!!
edit on 3-5-2017 by knowledgehunter0986 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 04:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lab4Us
Agree with OP that comedians get a pass when ctritcizing public figures, I DO NOT agree that the level of vulgarity he used on "network" television is acceptable. Cable, sure, go for it...people expect that language, naked folks, "sexual content"...oh, and get a warning before the show starts and when back from commercial (if there are any). This was over the top, completely inappropriate, and if he doesn't go, he needs a "vacation".

Well, then we almost have two arguments here don't we?

1. Was the term Colbert used appropriate for his venue (late-night network TV) and should he be reprimanded for using it?

2. Was Colbert's criticism of the president out of bounds and over the top, going too far?

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Or playing a Top 40 song at a pub:
UNC Student Gets DJ Fired for Playing 'Blurred Lines,' Because Rape Culture

The point is, censorship only breeds more censorship. It incentivizes pressure groups and activists to get what they want.

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 04:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker
a reply to: spiritualzombie

I don't mind it.

But I would like to ask, while Trump was an entertainer and said grab her by the pussy how is that different?

I remember everyone up in arms about that.

Bragging about entitlement and privelege to grab women by their genitals is a bit different. Not sure how you see them as similar things unless you're only picking up on keywords c##k and p###y. Is that it? Just the use of words?
edit on 3-5-2017 by spiritualzombie because: (no reason given)

edit on 3-5-2017 by spiritualzombie because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 04:52 PM
link   

I figured your response would be something like that.

Two dudes joking around vs a comedian, same thing.

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Yeah.... really not the same thing....

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 04:54 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

It's a good point that you're making, though. Unfortunately I would wager that it'll be lost on most. Or, if not lost, then just ignored.

Some (many?) of those who defended the p-grabbing comment months ago are now upset about the c-holster comment. Some (many?) of those that were upset about the p-grabbing comment months ago are now defending the c-holster comment.

Both sides declare the other side to be hypocritical and wrong.

Round and round the ride goes.

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 04:58 PM
link   
It's this simple:

If Colbert violated some part of his contract, CBS would be well within their rights to fire him. If people are upset about what Colbert said and they feel a need to voice their displeasure or boycott Colbert, CBS, Colbert's advertisers, etc — more power to them.

However, this has absolutely nothing to do with free speech.

I would add that it was hilarious and Trumpkin boycotts have thus far been completely impotent. What's on that list so far? Macy's, Pepsi, Oreos (but not Nabisco), Amazon, Netflix, Ben & Jerry's, Hamilton, Star Wars, Budweiser, Hawaii and Kellogg's? I'm sure I missed a few.
edit on 2017-5-3 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 04:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: spiritualzombie

Yeah.... really not the same thing....

While I'm on neither side of either of these issues.... I just have fun watching partisan people chase their tail.

Be consistent. A joke is a joke and private citizens have the right to make them.

link   
Pretty sure he violated some pre-existing network television standards....so fire him.
If it was Bill O'Reilly or Ann Coulter on CBS calling President Obama a C@ck Holster for Soros...they'd already be burning at the stake.

If Colbert had said the exact same things on a campus lecture tour, on twitter...or even on HBO...I'd say no problem.

Again...he violated network television standards. The 'C' word is a 'no-no' on network television...unless it's a documentary on chicken farming.

link   

originally posted by: neo96
Not for a comedian that signs a contract that includes a behavior clause.

That right was signed away.

Meh, free speech doesn't apply to Milo either (not an American citizen), he says MUCH worse things than Colbert said, and conservatives love attempting to turn that whole Milo situation into a free speech debate.

If the FCC wants to fine Colbert for having a word bleeped out of his show, then so be it.

I believe the standard response to snowflakes who want to get their panties in a bunch over "offensive" speech is... "You don't have the right to never be offended." so this really should be a non-issue for conservatives.

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 05:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

We already have one chasing their tail.

The rest are smart enough not to comment. They know you can be OK with one and not the other.

But that goes for both sides. If you're cool with one you're cool with the other.

link   
a reply to: seagull

But, in the end, he can. ...and that's where my interest ends. The next time I watch this crass individual will be the first...

The funny part about it ALL.

Is we. WE the people censor each other every day.

X doesn't like Fox News.

y doesn't like CNN.

X, and Y pretty much ignore everything they disagree with.

Until comes along a Colbert,Maher,Williams,Schutlz, a Rush,Franken etc

Then everyone flips out over it.

So the reality is people don't really have a problem with censorship ONLY when it's the state.

The freedom of speech doesn't mean the right to be heard is how it really plays out for 'we the people'.

link   
a reply to: FissionSurplus

It's hilarious that you think DA is a lefty.

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 05:02 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

In North Korea they jail you and your entire family or shoot you in the head in public for speech.

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 05:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: dukeofjive696969

originally posted by: FissionSurplus
a reply to: dukeofjive696969

Why, thank you! I sincerely meant every word of it too.

WELCOME to the internet. I wouldn't take off your helmet, though, it can get a little rough up in here.

Oh man, at least bring some new material lol.

Recycled troll bait.

Alrighty then. You're taking the bait, so if the shoe fits, lace that beach up and wear it.

FREEDOM OF SPEECH!!!!

Cue the Star-Spangled Banner......

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Again...he violated network television standards. The 'C' word is a 'no-no' on network television...unless it's a documentary on chicken farming.

You had to go there ... and remind me of Mike Rowe at the turkey farm.

I got your documentary for poultry farming and this thread ... righchere!

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join