It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In defense of Stephen Colbert

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 04:20 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Bravo.

It's to be expected, unfortunately. The Left never defended the principle of free speech and resorted to a sort of puritanism that got people fired from their jobs on a routine basis, that the Right is just itching to do it back at them.

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Seriously people ?

You've never heard of entertainer/actors/actress contracts ?

Like EVER ?

www.legalmatch.com...

May the fail be yours.

15. Actor Breaches Sometimes a contract will set specific fines that will be imposed on an actor for certain offenses, like being absent or late to a practice, performance or other required event. An actor can always attempt to limit these penalties in contract negotiation. However, if an actor breaches an employment contract all-together, they may lose the value of the contract entirely and be liable for other expenses incurred by their employer as result of the breach. - See more at: www.legalmatch.com...

True we don't have access to the specifics.

Would depended on their LAWYERS.

And don't IGNORE this.

When an actor is hired for an acting job, they are generally required to sign a contract with their employer. Regardless of whether the job is for a film, TV show, commercial, or live performance, there are a number of components common to all acting contracts with which actors should become familiar. - See more at: www.legalmatch.com...

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 04:22 PM
link   
I wonder if the rodeo clown can have his job back ...

What Colbert said is surely no worse than performing in an Obama mask.

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 04:25 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

What about Trump saying grab her by the pussy? He was an entertainer back then so it was just a joke and OK.

By the way I have no problem with what colbert said.

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 04:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
a reply to: randyvs

He shouldn't be punished for what he said.

If it was "President Hillary" and I had a forum to talk about her, I'd hope like hell I'd still have the freedom to call her the vile hag that she is.

You're a rare breed.

We don't agree on everything but this is one we undoubtedly do.

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 04:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
Seriously people ?

You've never heard of entertainer/actors/actress contracts ?

Like EVER ?

www.legalmatch.com...

May the fail be yours.

15. Actor Breaches Sometimes a contract will set specific fines that will be imposed on an actor for certain offenses, like being absent or late to a practice, performance or other required event. An actor can always attempt to limit these penalties in contract negotiation. However, if an actor breaches an employment contract all-together, they may lose the value of the contract entirely and be liable for other expenses incurred by their employer as result of the breach. - See more at: www.legalmatch.com...

True we don't have access to the specifics.

Would depended on their LAWYERS.

And don't IGNORE this.

When an actor is hired for an acting job, they are generally required to sign a contract with their employer. Regardless of whether the job is for a film, TV show, commercial, or live performance, there are a number of components common to all acting contracts with which actors should become familiar. - See more at: www.legalmatch.com...

Oh please. Don't come up with some absurd point of reference and then act like it's the one other people have so you can attack it. That's a lefty thing to do.

Of course people have "heard of" contracts for actors and actresses. Trying to take the tactic that people haven't heard of that is weak, even by your standards.

When you say

Not for a comedian that signs a contract that includes a behavior clause. That right was signed away.
it appears that you're saying something specific.

So, as to the questions you were asked: you have no concept what Colbert's contract includes, whether there's even a "behavior clause" in it, much less what that clause may or may not contain, and whether Colbert violated it.

That's all you had to say. You didn't need to try and deflect this as people have never heard of Hollywood contracts before.

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 04:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gandalf77
Well said DBCowboy. Your point is spot on.

General notions of free speech aside, I'm still LMAO about his comments. It's about time someone said it.
Hope he gets promoted--or at least keeps 'em coming.

The guy is a comic. How many suddenly-saddened conservatives actually watched the show? They heard about it afterwards and now it they want his head. Herpity-derp. Maybe pick up on some of this...

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 04:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

Just exactly WHAT is absurd pointing that EVERYONE on tv have signed contracts.

They guarantee pay, and limits actions that reflect badly on their employers.

EVERYONE.

So move the hell on.

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 04:33 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

I think you worry too much about what people say and criticize. CBS can fire him (they won't, his ratings are going up) but they can't silence him.

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Aw yeah. Just sitting back and watching all this free speech.....um, within the T & C's, of course. Astronaut man is only awaiting the tiny mushroom clouds that come from hurt butts and angry anarchists. Cowboy, it does exist. Just don't expect it to be pretty or polite.

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 04:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deny Arrogance
a reply to: knowledgehunter0986

Unless it is Trump

You could've ended it right there.

Consistency people! Consistency!

By the way, it's easy being consistent when you aren't glued to your partisanship.

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 04:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deplorable

originally posted by: DBCowboy
He's a comedian.

People keep letting him off the hook by saying this.

What he was doing wasn't comedy. It was pure unadulterated Hate.

Yup,

Nothing funny about it.

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 04:38 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

Woah there big guy, calm down. No need to start trying to bark orders.

What's absurd is when you ACT like the QUESTIONS you were ASKED were COMING from people who've NEVER HEARD of actors having contracts AFTER you made a COMMENT that MAKES it appear as if Colbert BROKE his CONTRACT.

Capping random words is fun

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 04:39 PM
link   
See, here's the thing. I don't care what Colbert said. I don't care what Bill Maher says. They can say it. I can not watch them.

I can call them idiots if I want to, but I'm not going to stop them from saying things. They're private citizens and they don't wield the power of government.

Now, when people like Maxine Waters or Nancy Pelosi or Schumer start talking like this ... then I get angry. They have power, power to affect my life and their ugly talk exposes their inner thoughts and agendas.

link   
Not worth it.
edit on 3-5-2017 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

link   

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Agree with OP that comedians get a pass when ctritcizing public figures, I DO NOT agree that the level of vulgarity he used on "network" television is acceptable. Cable, sure, go for it...people expect that language, naked folks, "sexual content"...oh, and get a warning before the show starts and when back from commercial (if there are any). This was over the top, completely inappropriate, and if he doesn't go, he needs a "vacation".

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 04:42 PM
link   
I love how Colbert skewers Trump. He does it so well and so truthfully and makes me laugh at this ridiculous joke of a prez.

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 04:44 PM
link   
a reply to: spiritualzombie

I don't mind it.

But I would like to ask, while Trump was an entertainer and said grab her by the pussy how is that different?

I remember everyone up in arms about that.

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 04:46 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

No, everyone was not.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join