It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In defense of Stephen Colbert

page: 17
<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 07:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

I have the right to react accordingly.

The operative word in that sentence is 'accordingly'. To some, that means telling a person off. To others, that means a violent attack. Hence the insanity in the streets we are currently seeing.

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 07:03 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

people can say whatever they want on the right platform. unfortunately hes on live television and they have standards they must follow. this is what the debate is about. did he cross teh line? ill let other people decide. ive never been a huge fan of the FCC myself but if your on television youve agreed to those standards. remember the huge backlash with howard stern and various other radio personalities? he was probly the most famous radio personality and moved to sirius/xm at the time so as not to keep getting fined for defying the fcc. so if colbert wants to say whatever he wants there are oher platforms for him today, far more then existed in the past.

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 07:03 PM
link   
a reply to: burgerbuddy

You haven't watched anyone since Carson? Comments like these baffle me.

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 07:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74
a reply to: ketsuko

I'm obligated to employ you if you cost me customers?

Oh, you shifted the goalposts.

You said you can react if my words interfere with your pursuit of happiness. I asked what that would mean if your reaction interferes with my right to pursue happiness?

Now all of a sudden, this is about employment which you did not mention. But let's take it there. You think it is a perfectly valid response to my words to react by getting me fired to assuage how I made you feel, but you are doing far more damage to my pursuit of happiness by getting me fired than any of my words ever did to you by hurting your feelings.

So was your response to the supposed injury proportional and fair?

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 07:05 PM
link   
a reply to: starfoxxx

THANK YOU! So I'm not the only un-hip person who thinks that he's not funny. Truthiness at its finest.

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 07:06 PM
link   

His vodka and clamato juice concoctions are pretty tasty.

link   

originally posted by: neo96
a reply to: Shamrock6

You can't whine about getting attention just because you don't like the manner in which the attention is given, but then turn around and keep trying to insert yourself into conversations after everybody stops paying attention to you.

Obviously someones world evolves around poor wittle old me.

I must be the center of their universe.

Every day.

Every thread.

Same old BULLCRAP.

Have nothing better to do?

Yes, you keep jumping around trying to get people to engage with you and then when they do you start trying to ridicule them for being obsessed with you.

It's the same thing you do in every other thread after you've had your ass handed to you. As I said, that's not how this works. You whined about people talking to you, then when everybody stopped you kept attempting to engage them, and now that people have engaged back you're trying to throw your hands up as if you haven't said a peep.

You get treated to "the same old bullcrap" every thread, every day, because you do the same old bullcrap every day, in every thread.

No, Neo. Nobody's world revolves around you except your own. Nobody is trying to censor you. Or censure. Whichever word makes you feel more especialer. Nobody is coming for your guns. Nobody is infringing on your 1st Amendment rights. But if it makes you feel good to create those strawman arguments and then tilt at them like Don Quixote then by god you go right ahead and do it, little buddy.

link   
a reply to: FissionSurplus

Well yeah. We were discussing more reasonable interactions though.

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 07:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: knowledgehunter0986
a reply to: Kali74

Why does that make me feel so physically unpleasant?

Oh my god.. is this... What being triggered feels like?

I've been triggered...

We've talked about using that word. It's very upsetting to some folks, even when it's not directed at them.

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 07:08 PM
link   

hehehe

edit on 3-5-2017 by knowledgehunter0986 because: hehehehehe

link   
There are way too many friggin hard words in this thread dagnabit!

How am I suppose to disagree ifn I don't know what you guys are talking about?

I think I got triggered by the immense vocabulary.
edit on 3-5-2017 by essentialtremors because: words.hard. DBCowboy is DB Cooper

link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I didn't shift anything. When I first brought up pursuit of happiness in the thread, it was in the context of a business owner pursuing livelihood and wealth.

link   
a reply to: knowledgehunter0986

W
O
W
!

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Just Another A Hole Liberal trying to Stay Relevant by Insulting President Trump Even though he has become the Exact Opposite of what they were All Crying about .................YAWN .

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 07:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: spiritualzombie
a reply to: burgerbuddy

You haven't watched anyone since Carson? Comments like these baffle me.

Why?

Carson was funny. These guys pale in comparison. Leno was a decent replacement, tho.

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 07:10 PM
link   
a reply to: essentialtremors

Great. That's just great. You not only used big words but also used the Voldemort word.

This is a fine mess you've created, sir.

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 07:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6

originally posted by: neo96
a reply to: Shamrock6

You can't whine about getting attention just because you don't like the manner in which the attention is given, but then turn around and keep trying to insert yourself into conversations after everybody stops paying attention to you.

Obviously someones world evolves around poor wittle old me.

I must be the center of their universe.

Every day.

Every thread.

Same old BULLCRAP.

Have nothing better to do?

No, Neo. Nobody's world revolves around you except your own. Nobody is trying to censor you. Or censure. Whichever word makes you feel more especialer. Nobody is coming for your guns. Nobody is infringing on your 1st Amendment rights. But if it makes you feel good to create those strawman arguments and then tilt at them like Don Quixote then by god you go right ahead and do it, little buddy.

Applause! That was beautiful.

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 07:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74
a reply to: FissionSurplus

Well yeah. We were discussing more reasonable interactions though.

I suppose I'm old-fashioned, but what I have been witnessing in the streets is anything but reasonable.

I consider words to be reasonable, even though some of those words sting. Not to insert myself into your argument, but....well, yeah, I have. Oh well. Just making my point that people's ideas of what is reasonable has gone completely off the rails, and before too long, we WILL be in a full-fledged civil war. Somebody said something and now only physical thrashings and lighting stuff on fire will suffice.

Carry on.

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 07:13 PM
link   
For everyone who has been triggered by my thread and its contents. . . .

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 07:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: FissionSurplus
I suppose I'm old-fashioned...

I like Old Fashioneds so I guess we have something in common.

new topics

top topics

<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join