It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

One of The Biggest Scams of The Century - Bottled Water

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 10:35 AM
link   
a reply to: StallionDuck

Understand that in the US and maybe other Westernified countries bottled water is sort of a strange status symbol such holding a cigarette used to be. In undeveloped countries where decent water is scarce, bottled water is a necessity to those that can afford it. I've found that places like Mexico are being covered in acres of discarded water bottles.

Bottled water is stupidly expensive in the US, and the plastic may not be that healthy, but is it mostly a convenient fad that has a niche in the marketplace that seems ridiculous to some of us.

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 10:38 AM
link   
We ran them out of North Florida and passed legislations making it illegal to bottle water from out rivers, streams, and springs....

I would encourage everyone facing water bottling companies to get active in your community and lock these people out.

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 10:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: Taggart
I have to disagree that it tastes no different to tap water, it depends where you live, I'm sure those in flint would disagree.
I've seen cloudy looking water in my time come out of taps.

Agreed, where I work we have a "filtered" water dispenser. Tastes fine how ever, there have been times where I've noticed almost a fluoridic film on the water. In other words, I've ceased drinking the "filtered" water.

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 10:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: jacygirl

Thank you for replying, I will try that.
The bathroom sink tap cold water isn't cloudy or bleachy smelling, so I've been using that instead.

Ironically there are a team of workers in my building this morning, flushing the water lines.

jacy

Ya know, that's exactly something I've noticed also and I almost mentioned it in my response. The kitchen tap has that instant chlorine smell, strong enough to where I don't want to drink it at first.

When I get water from the bathroom, absolutely no smell! Maybe the distance it travels makes the chlorine dissipate? I'm not sure but always wondered. It's also possible the screen on your faucet head could be the reason for the aeration in the water also, making it all cloudy. Ahhh the mysteries!

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 10:50 AM
link   

A aeration mixes local air into the water from the faucet and some of that water, as a fine spray, evaporates to release the smell.

It seems some people responding think that different faucets provide different types of water. that would not be the case except for specialized buildings, perhaps some restaurants, etc.

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Bottled water is a convenience. I do recommend however getting resuable containers and a water cooler. Its convenient to fill up a 5 gallon jug for 75 cents within 30 seconds than take forever running tap water through a brita filter trying to fill up a 5 gallon jug. be there all day.

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 10:54 AM
link   
We have some of the cleanest water in the world IMO...

I will fight to the death to keep big companies out of my back yard and out of my water....

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Good thread.

Totally with ya here.

I've wanted to start a bottled water business but I keep holding back because it's simply too immoral in so many ways.

edit on 5/3/2017 by muzzleflash because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 11:06 AM
link   
a reply to: muzzleflash

Start an ice business. Same concept, you will sell tap water but not as immoral as bottled water

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 11:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: szino9
a reply to: muzzleflash

Start an ice business. Same concept, you will sell tap water but not as immoral as bottled water

I have a buddy with several ICE houses that sells bulk ICE and he kills it!! Very good business for hot climates like Florida. and you get 20lbs of ice as opposed to 8lb bags at the convenience store. Good deal for everyone.

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 11:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: jacygirl

Hi StallionDuck!

I agree with you but in my apartment building the kitchen tap water is white/cloudy not clear, smells like bleach/chlorine and contains enough lime to kill my kettle and coffee maker regularly.

However, I can buy a 24-case of water for $1.98...less than 10 cents/bottle meanwhile various stores, sporting events, restaurants etc. charge anywhere from $2-$5 for one bottle of the same brand. (this rip off does not escape my notice)

Conspiracy side? How can you make the most people sick without them noticing? In their water.
(food for thought, lol)
S&F
jacy

you can also buy a filter for the tap...

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Not a scam.

People are paying for CLEAN,PURIFIED, POTABLE water.

And it does cost money to produce.

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 11:59 AM
link   
I'm not sure where you live OP. I live in NJ, 30 minute train ride away from manhatten.

The tap water over here smells bad and tastes bad. Sometimes it's as if the tap water has bleach or some chemical.
I drink and buy bottled water because the tap water is disgusting and doesn't seem safe to drink

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 12:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

Not a scam.

People are paying for CLEAN,PURIFIED, POTABLE water.

And it does cost money to produce.

Well said, I was just going to say that.

If you want to talk about scams, we should talk about quality and price for tap water utilities.

I pay $250 a month for two in Flourida.

Rainfall has a "total dissolved solids"(minerals etc) of 12-20 ppm.
Tap water actually has up to 500 ppm TDS, that I have seen.

Those 500 are not essential minerals for the body.
-Pharmies, nicotine, fertilizers, herbicides, insecticides, hormones, petroleum, human waste, etc

Recycling our waste back to our mouths at $250 a month is the convo needed, not a convenience item cost rant imo

edit on 5 by Mandroid7 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 12:03 PM
link   

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 12:04 PM
link   
I wouldn't call it a scam.
I can't stand the taste of city water and prefer a bottle.
We filter our own well water at home.

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 12:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Mandroid7

I pay $250 a month for two in Flourida.

got to be south or central fl. my water bill for a average of 10,000 gallons a month is 20 bucks, in the panhandle. when i had my shop, it was 90 bucks for sewer and water. move up here it's much nicer.

edit on 3-5-2017 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Great posts.

I drink my water from glass bottled water. Actually anything I drink out of is glass bottled only. Not even a soda in a can. Glass only.

My Coke, apple juice, lemonade, water.....only glass bottles.

It cost more ..... but aren't we worth it? Be cheap with what goes inside our bodies as food?

I have noticed since doing this.... I feel better, for some reason I drink more water everyday, my skin is softer...HEY I know I am sounding very feminine BUT it works for our family.

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 12:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: StallionDuck
Ya know, that's exactly something I've noticed also and I almost mentioned it in my response. The kitchen tap has that instant chlorine smell, strong enough to where I don't want to drink it at first.

When I get water from the bathroom, absolutely no smell! Maybe the distance it travels makes the chlorine dissipate? I'm not sure but always wondered. It's also possible the screen on your faucet head could be the reason for the aeration in the water also, making it all cloudy. Ahhh the mysteries!

Yeah. I live in New Jersey. I was talking to mother who had terminal cancer. She was absolutely torn up that she would not be around to see her kids grow up. She said to me, "I never imagined drinking tap water would give me cancer." Now I know she was distraught and what gave her cancer could have came from lots of things like second hand cigarette smoke. But my point is the perception in New Jersey is drinking tap water will kill you. People trust Nestle more than they trust the Middlesex Water Company. At least Nestle has a reputation to protect. The Middlesex Water Company could kill have the town and they would still be in business because they are a monopoly.

So getting back to the woman with cancers. She was really distraught. I told her for each of her kids she should write 20 letter for each one and put them in an envelop. And put on the envelop, "Open when you get marred" and put in a letter describing what marriage meant and words of advice or anything she would have to say. So even though she was going to be long dead and gone at least her kids could still be touched by her in some way.

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Great points.

I was thinking on it a long time, but when you're traveling in 3rd world countries you don't wanna take the risk of drinking tap water.

In some other countries, they shove fluoride poison directly in tap water... Which again, makes it non-drinkable.

It ain't always easy to escape bottled water, but for countries with good infrastructure I would take in tap water at any day!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join