It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ooops , new runway required .

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 03:49 AM
link   
Found this on my local news feed . Seems vampire jets and runways dont always get along . Runway aside they made some seriously cool looking planes back in the day .

From wiki .

Certain marks of the Vampire were also operated as flying test-beds for the Rolls-Royce Nene engine, leading to the FB30 and 31 variants that were built in, and operated by, Australia. Due to the low positioning of the engine, a Vampire could not remain on idle for long as the heat from the jet exhaust would melt the tarmac behind the aircraft

en.wikipedia.org...

Article .
www.9news.com.au...

edit on 3-5-2017 by hutch622 because: (no reason given)

edit on 3-5-2017 by hutch622 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 04:02 AM
link   
a reply to: hutch622
hmm - take off = sucessfull - but can e land back on the same runway - and more important - having watched him trash one - who is going to let him land on thiers

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 04:13 AM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

In the article ( now added ) the jet landed on an undamaged runway . Still it has to take off again i guess .

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 04:27 AM
link   

appologies - didnt spot that

but seriously - in my opinion this is a tail of a runaway with a historty of substandard // zero maintainence and repair

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 04:33 AM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

appologies - didnt spot that

No need to apologize , i only added it after your reply alerted me to the fact i forgot to add it .

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 05:47 AM
link   
Here in Michigan they tell us it's the big trucks that do all the damage to our roads. It's really these little buggers sneaking in and out!!

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 06:26 AM
link   
And they sound awesome those early engines like the Gnome and Nene..Ive seen them set fire to grass entries as well.

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 07:24 AM
link   
Besides that the angle of thrust is directed at the ground, maybe he applied a little more power on take off than necessary to impress bystanders?

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 08:19 AM
link   

That used to happen almost every time we did a full power engine run on our run spot. We were restricted from running certain aircraft there because they'd damage the asphalt so badly. They would put a new layer down, we'd get six months to s year out of it, then it would start to go again.

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 08:23 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Sure it was black top? Looked like hardened mud.

If it was black top or asphalt, it was a thin "cap" that was loose. The pilot didn't seem to do anything out of the ordinary.

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 08:32 AM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

Asphalt tears up like that after awhile around aircraft. The heat of the engines will cause chunks of it to rip up. The Vampire being much lower to the ground like that will take an asphalt ramp that needs to be replaced and do exactly what we saw in the video.

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Ta reply to: Zaphod58

That engine is low, looks like a repair will be in order. Do airports throw and go with asphalt like we do here in Michigan on the roads?

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 10:07 AM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

All over the place. At Hickam, we had a tiny number of parking spots that weren't asphalt. It's cheaper and easier to repair, but requires more upkeep.

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 05:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal
a reply to: intrptr

Sure it was black top? Looked like hardened mud.

If it was black top or asphalt, it was a thin "cap" that was loose. The pilot didn't seem to do anything out of the ordinary.

What zaphodf said. It was an asphalt layer cake.

join