It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

House Republicans Pass Bill to End Overtime Pay

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 04:39 AM
link   
Rather than read the entire thread, I'll just jump to the end and assume that the previous 9 pages are the typical tit-for-tat "capitalist bloodsuckers!" "commie scum!" insults being hurled around in language vague enough to avoid breaking the site T&Cs.

This new bill needs to be read in conjunction with the existing Fair Labor Standards Act, which requires (non exempt) employers to pay OT at 1.5 times their standard rate for any hours worked over 40 hours per week. The FLSA actually prohibits comp time being offered instead of OT, even if the employee wants it.

The new bill doesn't really add new laws but rather removes the existing restriction, allowing employers to offer comp time. It doesn't appear to compel an employer to offer it. By the same token, an employee cannot be forced to accept comp time and OT must be paid if the employee chooses.

In other words, the new bill takes the rather unusual step of reducing the amount of government interference in a private contract between two people - the employer and the employee - and allows them an additional option for those workers who might prefer to take the time off.

Less government interference. Don't really see a downside. Could the employer use this as leverage to get out of paying OT? Possibly, but it appears they would be paying the same amount either way, possibly more if they need to hire in additional people to cover a critical role if the employee chooses comp time.

I look forward to the next 9 pages of people telling me that evil corporate scum will use this to rape the honest hardworking employees out of their paycheck. Free market, baby, if you don't like it then go be poor somewhere else.

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 04:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheRedneck
a reply to: Willtell

Have any of you hard working people ever worked 12 hours overtime? In other words 20 hours straight…

Yes.

Work 20 hours straight and see how you feel getting a day off instead of the big bucks

Work 20 hours straight and you just made 12 hours OT. That would likely throw you into a different tax bracket. The way it was, comp time would get you a day and a half off, hour for hour. Under this bill, for working that long just one time, you get 18 hours off, meaning you can take off early Wednesday and not show back up till Monday morning... and get your normal week's pay without using your vacation time!

News flash: not everyone is doing everything for just money. I tend to take time off between jobs, as much as a couple months if I can afford it. I can't take green paper with me when it's all over, but I bet I can take the memories of spending time with my family.

Irony: someone who obviously loves money more than life itself crying about the evil of rich guys...

TheRedneck

That is literary perfection.

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 05:32 AM
link   
a reply to: SaturnFX

So on the surface I like this, but then I put it into context of my job. Where I work everyone is salary, and we know that salary wages havent risen with the overtime laws. That was the measure that needed fixed first.

Now, let's say they do pass something where lower salary wage workers get mandatory OT. My company has a hard time giving people of for a few days as it is... heck we get 12 days PTO a year and that's it, it's sick time and personal.

I'm not saying it's a good or bad bill. But there are companies that will take advantage of what ever measure they can. Mine I'm sure of it, would give you PTO and never give you off, and then if you have more then five days at the end of the year you will LOSE IT.

But, that's only part of the reason why they have a 1.5 on Glassdoor.

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 07:21 AM
link   
a reply to: CB328

I'm afraid you haven't a clue what this is all about. And it's YOUR thread. LOL!
How about your explain what part of this is bad.

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 07:33 AM
link   
a reply to: EvillerBob

The rich just keep getting richer. It will be beautiful to serve them.

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 07:34 AM
link   

edit on ? by MyHappyDogShiner because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 07:47 AM
link   
a reply to: EvillerBob

I think the real issue here is it's a GOP bill. Yep, that's the hang up. Forget what's in it, or what it says, we are in a political climate where you base your decisions on party affiliation and THAT IS ALL.

Be glad you didn't read the previous pages. There is some stupid that can't be unseen in there.

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 07:47 AM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

it doesn't matter to me what they do with overtime, i got hard enough time putting in my regular 40. i would not work a job requiring overtime. i never was a good slave to the system though.

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 07:53 AM
link   
the Fair Labor Standards Act has been under attack from businesses since it was passed. No where in there does it say you get comp time in lieu of overtime pay. If you really think a company is going to allow you to have time off you are mistaken. In order to allow you to take comp time it would mean hiring another person to take your place while you are off. It is actually cheaper for a company to have people work overtime than hire another person. OT does not have any benefits paid, no L&I insurance, and after a certain point there is no longer social security taken out. It actually gets cheaper to pay OT the more you work

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 08:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: SaturnFX
But again, if hours are being accrued, then it all comes down to how the comp time is negotiated. As I said, saving up hours so you can take a couple week vacation every couple months would be pretty great. (that mixed in with vacation time and you could have quite a nice social life).

I like money, but I dont want to be working just to see a rising bank account. Taking time off to explore and live life is key to sanity imo..else you are just a worker bee until you grow old.

That's going to depend heavily on the job though, if it's a position where you have to work with a bunch of other people and collaborate, having time off just disrupts the entire team.

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Another issue I see is that some companies may decide to simply phase out vacation days considering you can basically build up your own hours.

They've already done that, it's called unlimited vacation.

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 08:42 AM
link   

You can keep your party line rhetoric. Th article you linked states very clearly that this bill is just a recycled version of bills introduced multiple times over the last couple of decades - including during the obama administration. I don't recall hearing you say anything about it then...

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 09:00 AM
link   

As a reminder:
This is NOT the Mud Pit!!!

All rules for polite political debate will be enforced.
Reaffirming Our Desire For Productive Political Debate (REVISED)

Go After the Ball, Not the Player!

You are responsible for your own posts.

and, as always:

Do NOT reply to this post!!

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 09:14 AM
link   

For lower income workers which is the more pressing issue, getting overtime, or having paid time off? If you think it's overtime, you've never worked with lower income individuals, let alone managed them. Getting them to even show up is ridiculously difficult

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 09:25 AM
link   

I am trying to figure this out, any help through the legalise would be helpful

From what I am gathering, the employee can choose to have that extra hour worked after 40 to go either as overtime pay, or to rack up hours so you can take paid time off down the road..so you can work like a ant for 50 hours a week and after 4 weeks, take a entire week off while getting paid.

From what I see, its the employee's choice.

If thats the entire bill, then I am actually in favor of that. Hell, work 4 months and take the 5th one off while paid. work an extra hour a day and come in on saturday for a few hours...

I am actually a big fan of that idea..but anyone taking a month off every 5th month would probably be replaced tbh.

Yes it also allows employees to build up sick time to be used later. Just more options and me personally id throw some overtime to guarantee my pay if sick or extra vacation time.

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 09:39 AM
link   
HA! They've been "Comping" my OT for 6 years, where the F have you been???
It's nice to get a Friday off, but comping time and a half pay with straight time should be illegal...
Can't pick on our poor hospitals though... they are barely scraping by...

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 09:56 AM
link   
LOL... so they decide to make something thats been done at the Federal worker level for years available to all and this is a bad thing.. partisan hackery at its finest.

I never took OT pay as a federal worker... paid time off was a much better deal for my financial situation.

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 09:58 AM
link   
a reply to: curiouspatience

That's crazy. I thought working OT was for extra money, not time. This law is to give away workers earned money back in the pockets of the employer, and the employee pay the taxes too.

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 10:01 AM
link   
a reply to: MOMof3

LOL

Still not "getting it"

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 10:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: MOMof3
a reply to: curiouspatience

That's crazy. I thought working OT was for extra money, not time. This law is to give away workers earned money back in the pockets of the employer, and the employee pay the taxes too.

To be fair, you're not putting in any extra work. If you work 50 hours in a week, you get time and a half back, and you work 25 hours in another week. It makes sense from the time is money standpoint, but I guess I could counter that, with it ensures you'll never get above 40 hours in a week so it takes away the ability to work harder in exchange for more compensation.

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join