It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

the butterfly effect..2004

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 12:36 AM
link   
a reply to: tayton
I thought you were talking about Tremors for a minute. But sadly, this movie you speak of was in fact made.

And if that was not bad enough, I caught the preview for Sky Sharks! Which are piloted by ... zombies???

I liked B movies from the 80's and nineties. These modern B movies, they are just plain silly.

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 01:13 AM
link   
a reply to: worldstarcountry

Dude, did you watch sand sharks? Lol. Give it a chance! It's Jaws just a little closer to shore! Yes sharknado is stupid but sand sharks? Well, well, well, sand is kinda like water, well, well, sifty, soft, fluidie, awe hell, it's the only sharkie related movie I liked after jaws. Lol

edit on 3-5-2017 by tayton because: I don't know

edit on 3-5-2017 by tayton because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 01:38 AM
link   
a reply to: tayton
To be honest, once I saw a zombie at the end of Sky Sharks, I admit I got curious.
I got a good dose of Street Sharks cartoon back in the day when I was a kid. Sand sharks at least does not seem as asinine as flying sharks, I think.

In a way, both movies play into the what if theme of butterfly effect right?? Especially sky sharks.

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 02:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears
a reply to: Night Star

trust me on the directors cut....still a fabulous movie but that directors ending is the shizz.

im going to spoil it at the bottom for people that have watched the movie but may not have seen that ending....

and jinmi, i think youre right....he was/is pretty typecast. this is definitely his best movie by far. the guardian was good too but this is his best work

spoiler below

at the end he projects back and strangles himself in the womb before he is born because he knows the common thread between all the bad # that has happened is him.

That's the only ending I saw. Made the most sense. He was living a life that never should have been and by doing so wrecked the lives of those around him.

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 03:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: tayton
a reply to: DarkvsLight29

Yes sharknado is awful BUT have you seen sandsharks lol, people jumping up on rrocks getting away from sharks swimming through the sand? Lol. You can ALMOST suspend ur disbelief in that movie, loved it, lol!

Sounds stupid (goes to watch the YT vid) lol, isn't that a game you play in the house?, someone plays the shark and everyone has to stay off the floor. I'm sure it is.

I watched the sand shark trailer and God what a piece of crap lol, have to admit it was funny those people looked stupid running around the sand and trying to jump up on stuff..
edit on 3 5 2017 by DarkvsLight29 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 06:01 AM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

Agreed. That may be the worse movie ever made!

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 06:04 AM
link   
a reply to: worldstarcountry

At 51 second mark exactly in the Sand Shark movie preview clip you provided is the only redeeming piece of the movie. Man's that a bad one!

edit on 3-5-2017 by dfnj2015 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 07:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015

Agreed. That may be the worse movie ever made!

Has anyone here ever seen "the best, worst movie ever"
TROLL 2

So bad its good.
It even has a documentary in its honor...

The Best, Worst Movie Ever

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Yes, I have always cited this movie as a good one when it deals with the discussion of the effects from time travel and whatnot.

The realization at the end was a very well-written dot-connection with a glossed-over point made at the beginning of the movie, IMO. I would recommend it to anyone who likes to actually think while watching a movie, and doubly so for those people who appreciate considering the implications of time travel.

I think that there's an alternate ending somewhere out there, too, but I don't remember how that one goes. Hopefully I'm not thinking of the alternate ending, but I don't want to mention anything and give it away.

ETA: Nevermind, I see that you mentioned the ending that I was talking about here, so I guess I don't need to be too cryptic about it. But, apparently I'm talking about the director's-cut ending, which I find to be a much better, albeit darker, ending. It addresses a point in the movie near the beginning where his mom or he is talking about his birth being unexpected (or something) because his mother had experience a few miscarriages prior to his birth, implying that this probably was what happened with all of those other children who were miscarried as well.

edit on 3-5-2017 by SlapMonkey because: (no reason given)

originally posted by: badw0lf
If I remember correctly, there is a part where he goes back and is talking with his mother as he's in the womb and she mentions something about hoping this one survives, as she's lost a previous baby... implying that it has happened before.. but then it was a girl.

I vaguely recall that part..

Dammit, I'm just too late to this game to add much of substance that hasn't already been said. I give up...

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 12:30 PM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

Well then the director's cut ending sucks! I much preferred the one where they just ended up in alternate lives and bumped into each other then kept walking. To me, that is about as good as n ending the movie could have gotten. The director's cut version almost encourages suicide and infant mortality IMO.

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 01:51 PM
link   

It IS a great movie. But, then, if a movie has a great story, I don't need great acting, cinematography, writing, special effects or anything else.

But the story always has to be solid for me and The Butterfly Effect was a great story.

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 02:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: worldstarcountry

The director's cut version almost encourages suicide and infant mortality IMO.

That's quite the stretch.

Yes, it is a dark ending, and yes, it speaks to the desperation felt by the character and the extreme action that he was willing to take in order to undo the disruptions and issues caused by meddling with time travel and trying to "fix" things that happen in life. Yes, he committed suicide (by wrapping the umbilical chord around his own neck) in order to save everyone that he loved from the ways that he ended up screwing up their lives.

It should be seen as a personal sacrifice not done lightly (you have to see the ending to understand) instead of a promotion of suicide and infant mortality--it was a way of explaining his mom's other miscarriage(s), as well as making a more broad point that sometimes "fixing" things can only make them worse.

It's a dark movie from start to finish, so it was an appropriate ending, IMO, where it reminds us in his mother's voice that she had three still-birth babies prior to him being born.

If you care to watch the ending:

Or a compilation of all versions of the endings:

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Thanks for posting these, I haven't seen them!

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 04:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears

www.imdb.com...

Evan Treborn grows up in a small town with his single, working mother and his friends. He suffers from memory blackouts where he suddenly finds himself somewhere else, confused. Evan's friends and mother hardly believe him, thinking he makes it up just to get out of trouble. As Evan grows up he has fewer of these blackouts until he seems to have recovered. Since the age of seven he has written a diary of his blackout moments so he can remember what happens. One day at college he starts to read one of his old diaries, and suddenly a flashback hits him like a brick

this is a fantastic movie. it gets a lot of negative reviews and i dont know why. i think cause ashton is in it and most people dismiss it just for that. if youre a fan of sci fi and/or like movies about mental issues you should watch this.

i will say there are 4 endings depending on which version you get. if you decide to watch try to watch the directors cut version of it because that ending changes the whole perception of the movie. it is also a fantastic ending to a movie like this.

While the movie premise is great, it isn't a great movie.

It's general well acted, Amy Smart being a stand out in it, but it's unevenly paced, Ashton shows very little emotion, and there are many plot holes.

I agree with the reviewers.

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 05:04 PM
link   
HEY! I do remember seeing that ending now! I must have hated it so much though I forgot about it. Bullsnip, I prefer the theatrical ending, this director's cut version was way too hard of a mind# for me.

<< 1   >>

join