It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My cat got his paw ripped off by a trap!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 07:50 AM
link   
TNMockingbird

At this point I still have to go searching. It is the chance that there could be traps and I just won't be satisfied until I know for sure. Looking at some trapped kitty pics, you really can't tell. Some have their whole paw cut off and some have just the tip...I guess it just depends on what size of trap and how much of the paw got caught in it.

Looking at snapper wound pics...It is the same really. Just gotta know for sure. I can't do anything if it was another animal...but if it was an old trap or something man made, I can do something and I should try. Nothing but a nice walk around my property anyways..with a metal detector..and some really tall, tough, rubber boots (I don't like snakes..lol)

If I find anything, I will update..but it will take a week or so to get the metal detector. So it won't be for a few weeks.

Mike Stivic

I was actually was really upset when I came home from the vets (thus the rant) and she had said it was a trap (might have been better if she hadn't said that initially) mostly because everything is posted. But people are right..I can't get upset until I know for sure what got him. It could be a trap that was left years ago, or a turtle (we have a small river running through our property so that is a possibility). But I still have to look. If it is a trap and I just don't check and one of my other animals gets hurt... it is just worth it for me.

As I said above...once I get the metal detector and if I find anything..I'll update.

Patroclus is doing fine..still hates his cone...and mostly slept since he got home. It is funny because his "meows" sound like "nooos". So if you ask him if he feels better ..he meows "nooo". If you ask him if he likes his cone, he meows "noooo". But he is enjoying being pampered a bit I think.

Thanks everyone for your concerns and thoughts.
blend57

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 07:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

I believe in responsibility in all things. Especially if those things can pose a risk to others' safety, integrity of ones property and home, or the safety of ones pets.

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 11:28 AM
link   
a reply to: blend57

How's kitty's paw doing?
Does he still have the cone on?

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 03:03 PM
link   
DontTreadOnMe

He's doing well. His paw is healing nicely and he hates his cone still...but has learned how to lick his wound while wearing it

So it isn't that troublesome for him. Some pics of his foot:

And a pic of him and his cone:

Stitches come off in about 10 more days. But he has to keep the cone on until then.

Thanks for inquiring about him!
blend57

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Glad to hear, and yeah the injury looks like it is healing, and not swollen/red.

Sending healing thoughts to him

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 10:41 PM
link   

What a beautiful kitty! Looks like he is going to be just fine. Big smile here.

posted on May, 9 2017 @ 01:10 AM
link   

Here is a liver treat for Pat!

The wound looks to be healing nicely,no doubt due to the first rate care being administered!

I think the only proof positive way to keep pat safe is to bite the bullet and refrain from enabling the out door activities. It won't be easy ,the poor thing will mewl at the door wondering why its being punished. It will try to sneak out. And it will resent you..

Lol..

Now I remember why I have no children..

Respectfully,
~meathead

posted on May, 9 2017 @ 04:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: blend57
DontTreadOnMe

He's doing well. His paw is healing nicely and he hates his cone still...but has learned how to lick his wound while wearing it

So it isn't that troublesome for him. Some pics of his foot:
And a pic of him and his cone:

Stitches come off in about 10 more days. But he has to keep the cone on until then.
Thanks for inquiring about him!
blend57

His face! LOL. So many expressions come to mind.
Glad he's healing.
Before I had my kitty spayed, she was making us crazy with wanting to go outside and the neighborhood kitties would set up camp outside the doors at 3 am. They would 'howl' and 'whine' at each other. The males (I'm guessing) would spray and geez it stinks!
I wonder if he's neutered? That may help with keeping him in more, if he's not.

posted on May, 9 2017 @ 06:26 AM
link   
[[[HUGS]]]
Blend honey I am so sorry!!!!! OMG I am devastated for you and your cat. I hope the surgery was a success and that your kitty is feeling better.

posted on May, 9 2017 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Martin75, Night Star,Mike Stivic, TNMockingbird,DontTreadOnMe

Thanks for the kind thoughts..I know..just a cat. But, well, he is part of the family and I just can't help but being upset about him getting hurt. He's neutered and has been getting regular shots. I just don't like to declaw cats so never had that done.

Went through a small portion of my property today. Followed the animal trails..figured they would put the traps near/around those. And I am working my way from the perimeter in. I just got a cheap metal detector as I don't see me needing it for much of anything else. And of course the batteries went dead while I was walking the property. So, I have to go get some tomorrow.

We will see but so far..no traps..which is good. I did find a metal pipe stuck into the ground and what looks to be a small bit of wire fence. Both have been there for awhile. So, at least I know the detector works..lol

Will update if I find any traps..

Thanks,
blend57

edit on 9-5-2017 by blend57 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2017 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Blend honey first our cats our never just cats. They are my babies and since I have no children, these are mine. I will fight you over my babies just like a would my child.

Please be careful as you walk the property. You could be the next victim.

One thing I will mention. IF you find anything, place some game cameras. Leaving traps out like that is against the law. If you can somehow get a pic, maybe you can actually see some justice.

Just be careful, we don't need you injured also.
[[[HUGS]]]
Two of my babies

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 01:56 PM
link   

I'm so sorry to hear about that
poor kitty. Scumbags.

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Of course he is part of the family! I never had kids myself, and my cats were always my children. Be careful poking around out there! How is kitty doing?

posted on May, 16 2017 @ 07:52 AM
link   
Night Star, LaWnOrDeR92, Martin75

Sorry, I missed the responses. I just saw them as I came back to update.

I took him back to the vet to get his stitches out yesterday and she cut off a bit more of his paw (dead skin she called it?). We have to let that heal up before he goes outdoors at all, as the vet didn't stitch that up, she just left it an open wound (looks really gross). He also had an ear infection (thinking that is from having that cone on all the time) which he didn't have on his initial visit.

She also says that another part of his paw will be coming off on its own shortly. So, Patroclus will be losing probably 2 claws. I finished my perimeter walk and there were no traps that I could find. I am thinking that it was a snapper turtle (sorry to all those trappers out there I wrongly accused). But, I was told that it was a trap by the vet initially.

So, 3 more weeks bed rest for the little guy and hopefully he will be good to go.

Thanks to all who showed interest and offered their thoughts/ideas/support. I was gonna take pics of his claw but it is too gross right now. Maybe I'll update in a few days after it heals for a bit.

Thanks again,
blend57

posted on May, 16 2017 @ 08:05 AM
link   
Oh Blend I'm sorry they had to remove more of his paw. Poor little guy. I hope his ear and paw get to feeling better. Sending you sweet kittie lots of love and positive thoughts!

posted on May, 19 2017 @ 11:05 PM
link   
I can only imagine what you're going through with your cat and I hope s/he makes a speedy recovery. As a young cat lover who had to pick my dying cat off the street in front of my house and then bury her, I can totally sympathize.

At the same time, my current cat would claw my face off if she wasn't allowed outside when she wants out. I fully realize she is a predator and I applaud that because she keeps the mice population down around the farm. She also likes to bring birds, squirrels, anything she can fit into her mouth really, into her death pit.

She was born feral and was adopted by my cousin's kid before she ended up with me because of aggressiveness with her little girl. I couldn't think of a better mouser. She only allows pets when she wants them, but when she does, she loves it. I wouldn't trade her for the world.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join