It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How bout that spending bill?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 06:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

originally posted by: Gothmog
You dont know an awful lot about US politics , do you ?

Oh please DO explain how I'm wrong here. I'm so anxiously awaiting you to school me in the things I don't know about politics that make this good for the Republicans and bad for the Democrats.

The first step is not getting your political outlook and information from Pinhead Pelosi...
Which is exactly where the thread originated from

I'm pretty sure that I posted more sources and talked about more things than JUST Pelosi's opinion.

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 12:17 PM
link   

After having the Trump victory rubbed incessantly in my face for the last 6 months or so, It's nice to see that things aren't all rainbows and sunshine for you after all.

For the most part, I don't see anyone rubbing Trump's victory "incessantly" in your face. I do however see you receiving pushback for your incessant rants. No even close to the same thing.

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 02:13 PM
link   
a reply to: underpass61

Really? You don't see people constantly tell liberals about how Trump won in November, Hillary lost and other blah blah blah? Because I see it all the time. You must not be looking very hard.

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 03:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Nope, I live in California (L.A. adjacent) we conservatives have to keep a pretty low profile. On the other hand, I can't count the times I've had to bite my tongue to avoid an ugly incident regarding something one of my liberal friends have said. Besides just being California, my town is overwhelmingly union workers (longshoremen). On top of that I spent a lot of my younger days as a musician so a large chunk of friends are in the liberal arts (who are always on the lookout for grants and charities to fund their projects). Of all my liberal friends, there are precisely two with whom I am able to have a civilized debate on politics, and that's because we've been close friends for nearly 40 years. With the rest I just smile and nod, smile and nod.
edit on 5 3 2017 by underpass61 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 05:34 PM
link   

a reply to: UKTruth
I understand COMPLETELY how the government works. I also understand how power works within Congress. The majority party, backed by the President should have greater sway on policy than the minority party. That SHOULD mean that the bill just passed would have included many of the things I listed in the OP. You can pretend like I don't understand government, but you don't even understand the point I'm making.

I understood your point. You tried to blame Trump for not getting everything he wants in his first budget round as President. You neglected to mention that the Republicans (nor Trump) has any power to get what they wanted as long as the Democrats stuck together. Like I said, a majority is NOT 'in charge' in the senate unless they have a super majority of 60+ senators and even then that depends on who is president. On occasion, a 2/3 vote is required.

Quit spewing left wing propaganda about the first budget round. Trump actually got some wins, nothing compared to his full set of promises, but anyone who thought it would all happen in the first budget round with a slim 52-48 Senate majority REALLY does not know what they are talking about OR are just pushing political bias.
edit on 3/5/2017 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 06:38 AM
link   

So basically it's the Democrats' fault the Republicans and Trump can't get their act together to pass conservative spending bills. Gotcha.

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 06:41 AM
link   
a reply to: underpass61

I was speaking about ATS man... I'm not currently gloating to my uncle about this on Facebook. I'm gloating on ATS.

Not to mention, Trump reminds us on a near daily basis that he won in November or brings up that Hillary lost or some other such irrelevant nonsense to distract from whatever embarrassing moment he's found himself in of his own making.
edit on 4-5-2017 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 09:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

I do however see you receiving pushback for your incessant rants.

So we are back to my original comment then.

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 10:22 AM
link   

So basically it's the Democrats' fault the Republicans and Trump can't get their act together to pass conservative spending bills. Gotcha.

It's not about fault.
Not everything is going to be done in one budget.
There is no power to force anything through. There is no one 'in charge' in that respect.
Just the way it works.

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Maybe not everything, but SOMETHING should get done. Trump can't even build his wall with this spending bill. Breitbart isn't happy about it at all:
Br eitbart’s frustration with President Trump just boiled over

At Wednesday’s White House press briefing, Breitbart reporter Charlie Spiering got into a tense exchange with White House press secretary Sean Spicer. Spiering later penned a critical article. We have annotated the back-and-forth, using Genius. To see an annotation, click the yellow, highlighted text. To add your own, sign up for an account.

And here is the article he wrote on Breitbart:
Sean Spicer Promotes ‘Bollard Wall’ Fencing to Satisfy Budget Critics

So keep trying the "move along folks, nothing to see here." shtick, but I'm not buying it. Trump and the Republicans dropped the ball on a critical opportunity to start implementing their agenda. Now they can't start until September, at a minimum, so it's like we've gotten a whole half year to a year of extended Obama policies despite the government being Republican controlled.
edit on 4-5-2017 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Maybe not everything, but SOMETHING should get done. Trump can't even build his wall with this spending bill. Breitbart isn't happy about it at all:
Br eitbart’s frustration with President Trump just boiled over

At Wednesday’s White House press briefing, Breitbart reporter Charlie Spiering got into a tense exchange with White House press secretary Sean Spicer. Spiering later penned a critical article. We have annotated the back-and-forth, using Genius. To see an annotation, click the yellow, highlighted text. To add your own, sign up for an account.

And here is the article he wrote on Breitbart:
Sean Spicer Promotes ‘Bollard Wall’ Fencing to Satisfy Budget Critics

So keep trying the "move along folks, nothing to see here." shtick, but I'm not buying it. Trump and the Republicans dropped the ball on a critical opportunity to start implementing their agenda. Now they can't start until September, at a minimum, so it's like we've gotten a whole half year to a year of extended Obama policies despite the government being Republican controlled.

Something did get done. Great progress for Trump? No.
But like I said, Democrats had the power to block all the major initiatives Trump wanted funding for. They chose to do so and we're prepared to shut down the govt to get what they wanted.
That's just the way things go when you don't have 60 votes in the Senate in such a divided political climate.
There is no blame here, just another display of a govt overall fighting internally over power.

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Funny isn't it. All during the campaigning the republicans told voters they could get immigration and repeals done with all the power. I don't recall them ever mentioning they would need the help of democrats.

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 11:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: MOMof3

Funny isn't it. All during the campaigning the republicans told voters they could get immigration and repeals done with all the power. I don't recall them ever mentioning they would need the help of democrats.

It's just a fact that 52 senators can not force a bill to the President's desk to sign when 60 votes are required. There is no ambiguity.
There is, however, more than one way to skin a cat... the repeal and replace of Obamacare might well pass the house today, which includes, for example, defunding planned parenthood... that will only need 50 votes to pass the senate in the next step (assuming Pence will vote yes in a tie-break situation)
edit on 4/5/2017 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 11:12 AM
link   

One of three legs to pass, if it passes this one. Senators represents all of the state, not just gerrymandered districts.

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 12:30 PM
link   

One of three legs to pass, if it passes this one. Senators represents all of the state, not just gerrymandered districts.

Senate only need 50 votes + Pence for this one. It's being done under reconciliation.
edit on 4/5/2017 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 12:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: UKTruth

Senate only need 50 votes + Pence for this one. It's being done under reconciliation.

And that is why republicans do not need democrats to pass bills.

Please update me on the using reconciliation in the senate. I think its up to McConnell and I last I heard he said no.

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Yeah. Now that reality is in session we get all these excuses and grandstanding.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join