It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How bout that spending bill?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+12 more 
posted on May, 2 2017 @ 07:36 AM
link   
Today I'm going to wade into the mud pit because of something rather funny happening over the weekend. The Democrats, the minority party in pretty much ALL of government at this point, got a HUGE victory in Congress over the weekend. Again. But this one is so lopsided that it almost appears like the Dems are in charge. But hey. I don't want to live in the land of alternative facts, and they still aren't in charge.

The Democrats in Congress can barely contain themselves. And I can understand why.

Democrats think they have set the stage to block President Trump’s legislative priorities for years to come by winning major concessions in a spending bill to keep the government open.

House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) and Senate Minority Leader Charles E. Schumer (D-N.Y.) secured nearly $5 billion in new domestic spending by exploiting disagreements between Trump and GOP lawmakers over spending priorities.

But hey that's not all. There are all sorts of goodies to get a conservative's blood boiling packed in the budget:

... bill explicitly blocks him from using any of the money to get started on building a wall on the Mexican border, as he originally demanded. There is no congressional mandate for cuts to “sanctuary cities” either.

Trump wanted to reduce nondefense domestic spending, but the bill doesn’t do that.

It saves Obamacare subsidies.

Trump wanted EPA funding slashed by one-third; the final cut is 1%.

Planned Parenthood isn’t defunded.

Spending for the National Institutes of Health will go up $2 billion, not down $1.2 billion.

It should be noted that Trump's BIGGEST priority, the wall, isn't being paid for and Trump isn't even allowed to start construction on it. He also isn't allowed to expand his border force. It does include money for border security and repairing the existing fence.

The $1-trillion deal to keep the government open through September, agreed to by the White House and congressional leaders late Sunday, does not include money for new fencing or new border agents requested by the Trump administration.

It does include $1.5 billion for border security, a concession Democrats might not have made without the pressure from Trump on border spending. But that money is allocated for technology and maintenance of existing infrastructure at the border.

Trump, of course, is touting this bill as a win.

“The president got a lot out of this bill,” said White House press secretary Sean Spicer of the bipartisan budget deal that averts a government shutdown. It boosts military spending by $21 billion and adds $1.52 billion for border security.

By the way. This isn't a thread just to gloat about the Democrats putting on the beat down on Trump despite being the minority party. Oh no. Thanks to this underwhelming performance from the "King of the Deals", the Democrats now have a road map to beat Trump. It seems like all you need to do to get Congress to work together, is to ignore Donald Trump.

By insisting on proposals that both parties on Capitol Hill knew could not pass — the border wall funding in particular — the White House took itself out of the game and ceded power to Congress. Members of both parties, freed to direct money to favored initiatives, eagerly seized the opportunity and increased funding for agencies such as the National Institutes of Health rather than cutting it.

“Although this wasn’t the bill I would have written on my own, we showed that when Democrats and Republicans work together and reject President Trump’s demands, we can make progress and get things done for the workers, women and middle-class families we represent,” said Senator Patty Murray of Washington, the No. 3 Senate Democrat.

I'm not the only one who thinks this by the way:
Good ole CK, Charles Krauthammer, thinks that this was a complete loss for Trump and the Republicans.

Man, I love the smell of functioning Democracy in action!

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 07:39 AM
link   
As long as the Republicans don't support Trump, I don't see how he can do anything quite frankly.a reply to: Krazysh0t

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 07:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

This definitely shows how weak and spineless the republicans are. Its like they don't want to lead. They are more happy being in the minority screaming about what the democrats are doing.

I will say this isn't a budget though, it is to continue to fund the government for the rest of this fiscal year. Normally Trump wouldn't even have had a chance to do anything this year because the budget for this fiscal year would have been passed by Obama before he got into office.

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 07:42 AM
link   

I think it's a live to fight another day philosophy.
I'm sure that Trump didn't want to be the cause of a government shutdown. The GOP controlled Congress now has almost 6 months to put forth a realistic budget for the entire year, and hopefully with realistic multi-year projections, and Trump can work on his macro projects such as healthcare reform and tax reform.

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 07:43 AM
link   
I'm pretty sure nearly all Trump voters are extremely disappointed in this bill. I know I am.

A win for Democrats is a synonymous with a loss for the USA.

+4 more 
posted on May, 2 2017 @ 07:49 AM
link   
a reply to: peter_kandra

Trump dropped the ball. Plain and simple. Yes. The GOP are retreating, but that is because the proposals that Trump demands are outrageous, he's inconsistent in his message, and he doesn't help develop policy. In other words, Trump didn't help so the GOP's demands fell apart.

And keep in mind, the GOP are in CHARGE, they shouldn't be in retreat. The Democrats shouldn't even have the kind of power to get this kind of victory. What happened here is a good old fashioned political ass whooping. By the minority party nonetheless.

+7 more 
posted on May, 2 2017 @ 07:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: jjkenobi
I'm pretty sure nearly all Trump voters are extremely disappointed in this bill. I know I am.

A win for Democrats is a synonymous with a loss for the USA.

It's post like this that make me glad the Dems won today. After having the Trump victory rubbed incessantly in my face for the last 6 months or so, It's nice to see that things aren't all rainbows and sunshine for you after all. Maybe some day you'll wake up and remember that the Democrats are Americans too, but I'm not holding my breath.

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 07:53 AM
link   
If they (D's and R's) keep this crap up, there may be a way for a new political party to gain the upper hand.
Trump won because people don't like the status quo.
Bernie Sanders (if he hadn't been cheated) would have beaten Trump.... because people don't like the status quo.

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Just fake political theater so the Republicans have someone to blame when absolutely NOTHING changes in 4 years.

The status quo will be maintained. The rich will get richer and the poor will get reamed.

+2 more 
posted on May, 2 2017 @ 07:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy
If they (D's and R's) keep this crap up, there may be a way for a new political party to gain the upper hand.
Trump won because people don't like the status quo.
Bernie Sanders (if he hadn't been cheated) would have beaten Trump.... because people don't like the status quo.

Trump won because people are stupid. That stupidity is apparent within the GOP that was dumb enough to stand by and let the Democrats take away the "victory" with this spending bill.

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 07:59 AM
link   

Your comments are really funny. What difference does it make that we live in a democracy when the majority of time we spend working for corporations with the other type of government. I'm not surprised people want to run this country the way a CEO runs a corporation. It's all people are used to.

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 07:59 AM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

I'd rather nothing changed and things stayed as is than Trump destroying the economy and country with his bull in a china shop proposals.

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 08:01 AM
link   
a reply to: introvert

People that believe that the D's and R's don't drink in the same clubs are hoodwinked.

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 08:02 AM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

No one forces you to work for a corporation. You can quit your job today and go work to starting your own business or be an artist or just drop off the grid altogether. The only thing keeping you at your job is your fear of uncertainty.

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 08:02 AM
link   

People that believe that the D's and R's don't drink in the same clubs are hoodwinked.

People who believe that things are that simple are delusional.

+1 more 
posted on May, 2 2017 @ 08:08 AM
link   

People that think Trump would have been any different were as well.

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 08:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: introvert

I never liked Trump.
I disliked him less than Hillary.

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 08:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

People who believe that things are that simple are delusional.

I didn't say that it was that simple.

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 08:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: introvert

I never liked Trump.
I disliked him less than Hillary.

I do not vote based on who I like. I vote based on who I think can govern the most effectively and get their ideas implemented.

As this thread proves to us, Trump was not the man that could do that.

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 08:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
By the way. This isn't a thread just to gloat about the Democrats putting on the beat down on Trump despite being the minority party. Oh no. Thanks to this underwhelming performance from the "King of the Deals", the Democrats now have a road map to beat Trump. It seems like all you need to do to get Congress to work together, is to ignore Donald Trump.

Trump then is an absolute genius. You are missing the sublime power of his leadership. The sheer depth of his 3D chess playing capability. Just imagine for one moment what you just said, "get Congress to work together". It's breathtakingly stunning!!!! Trump may be the very best president ever in history to pull this off!!!!!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join