It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

oldest known musical melody

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 03:18 AM
link   
from 1400 BC.
awesome it has survived this long.

played on the lyre

its beautiful.
3k years later we have justin bieber and nikki minaj

bummer

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 03:27 AM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

Incredible thank you. That made my night.

Makes me want to be back dJing in the ambient zone at a festival. The Am I Bent zone as we liked to called back then.

Beautiful thanks again

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 03:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Cloudbuster

youre welcome.

the tablet was found in a cave in syria i think in the 50's.
i like to think about how long it sat there waiting to be found and how many years had gone by without it being heard.

and who wrote it??????

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 03:44 AM
link   

Yeah that's mind boggling , and how was it written down. Who deciphered it (is that the right word)?

I'm going to check out more music of the guy who was playing it.

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 03:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Cloudbuster

Yeah that's mind boggling , and how was it written down. Who deciphered it (is that the right word)?

I'm going to check out more music of the guy who was playing it.

en.wikipedia.org...

The arrangement of the tablet h.6 places the Hurrian words of the hymn at the top, under which is a double division line. The hymn text is written in a continuous spiral, alternating recto-verso sides of the tablet—a layout not found in Babylonian texts.[13] Below this is found the Akkadian musical instructions, consisting of interval names followed by number signs.[14] Differences in transcriptions hinge on interpretation of the meaning of these paired signs, and the relationship to the hymn text. Below the musical instructions there is another dividing line—single this time—underneath which is a colophon in Akkadian reading "This [is] a song [in the] nitkibli [i.e., the nid qabli tuning], a zaluzi … written down by Ammurabi".[15] This name and another scribe's name found on one of the other tablets, Ipsali, are both Semitic.

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 04:00 AM
link   

Wow. I read that, but It was all gobble see good to me. All I know is that I loved that music and I feel kinda privileged (not sure if that's what I mean or right word) to be able to hear it.

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 05:19 AM
link   
Give me Van Morrison any time

Sounds like a peaceful empire that has external struggles and problems with its neighbors
Mostly peaceful notes but then harsh notes occasionally interrupting the peace

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 06:27 AM
link   

It sounds like ancient orgy music. Or maybe that's just my interpretation.

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 06:33 AM
link   
Very cool, a non political post. Maybe there's still hope for ATS?

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 07:09 AM
link   
I made my son a 'Canjo' a couple of weeks ago.
Now I want to build a lyre.

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 07:32 AM
link   
Cool post
Just wanted to add a little side note that my cats went from sound asleep little angel/thugs that they can be, to wide awake and very curious as cats can also be when I started playing this.

I found it curious, because they both tend to wake up like teenagers when asked to do something. They went from sleep to cat alarm.

Outside of that, I liked it very much myself.

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 07:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: WUNK22
Very cool, a non political post. Maybe there's still hope for ATS?

I would love to talk about Sasquatch all day. It's just that after 10 years and nothing really good to talk about it gets old.

9/11 changed this country. Hunting Sasquatch seems a little trivial when buildings in New York City are collapsing at free-fall speed. I'm looking at the video and people are telling me what to think while I'm watching it. They are NOT asking what just happened. Iran-contra seems like childish stuff compared to 9/11.

I understand there a lot of ATS long timers who long for the good ole days. It just seems the level of crazy being carried out by the people who pull the levers is insanely over-the-top. It's like watching a car accident while it is happening. You just can't take your eyes off of it.

edit on 2-5-2017 by dfnj2015 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 07:46 AM
link   

Fascinating structure.

Whenever I think about music in terms of history, it always saddens me that in many respects, the thing which seems get lost from civilisations, faster than any other thing, is the music they made, the instruments they used, and it gets worse the older you go.

There are types of written language that go back thousands of years, dialects still spoken in the oldest places, which reference and teach us about speech and life in ancient times, but the music gets lost fast. Much of that is because for a great deal of time, music was not written in the sense that one did not learn it from scriptures or from texts and historical documents, but ONLY by having a tune and the method for playing it, passed from one generation of lore keepers to another, bards and the like passing tune from father to son, or from wise man to "disciple".

It makes you wonder, how far back it was that the first melody was actually constructed, when it was that random noises became structured composition for the first time, and what that sounded like, from whence it came, from whose mind and finger came the first strummed chord, from which culture and continent issued the first whimsical strains of a pipe, played with a will and refinement?

It would be interesting to find out, at which stage of human history was it that the first melody was played. The one showcased in this thread may be the oldest known, but is surely not the first, by its structure and cohesiveness alone, one can tell. There is too much going on there, for that to be the very first foray into complicated tonal structure. The hunt, it seems, is still on, for the origin of music.

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 07:54 AM
link   

I like Slayer's version better.

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 08:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy

Awesome. Ive made a couple diddly bows .
I am going to make a whamola at some point

Check out cbg.com.
Pretty sure that's it but if not search
Cigar box guitar

It's a cool site. I didn't use it when I built mine though
edit on 2-5-2017 by TinySickTears because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 08:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: Woodcarver

I like Slayer's version better.

Not heavy enough for me

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 10:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears

Check out cbg.com.
Cigar box guitar

I did check out cbg.com before I made his.
There are some fun projects to do there.
edit on b000000312017-05-02T10:41:03-05:0010America/ChicagoTue, 02 May 2017 10:41:03 -05001000000017 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 02:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears

Check out cbg.com.
Cigar box guitar

I did check out cbg.com before I made his.
There are some fun projects to do there.

Great! tnx.

Here is something similar, but more speculative.. Also intrestring it has also Sumerian language singing in it ( at least how they think it was)

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Got to almost two minutes. Can't tap your foot or whistle to it.

Not many upsides to the Transatlantic slave trade, but great music is one of them.

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Not gonna lie, all I could keep thinking about was the sample wu tang used in the song c.r.e.a.m.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join