It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

30 Million Year Old Smoky Mountain Cave!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 11:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Martin75

I hope you had a great time here and glad you made it home safely. I've never been to WV, but it must be a great part of the Appalachian Mtns. to visit. A ton of great history in the region.

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 11:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

I like the Shenandoah Valley, beautiful area.

They turned off the lights in this one and it is absolute black. My eyes still played tricks on me and made me think I could see my eyelids when I would blink.

TNmock was telling me about Bluegrass Underground, where they have concerts, a few posts above. It's pretty cool to learn that there are places where the caves are used for entertainment like this. It would be pretty neat to go to one to see how everything looks and sounds different inside.

Oh yeah, they warned us about touching the formations. They said the oils and acids would turns the formations' appearance to a dull and more fragile state. I've wondered how many kids playing in a place like this may have broken down some 20-30k year old formation and used it as a toy rifle. Sounds like something I would've done as a kid, lol.
edit on 2-5-2017 by esteay812 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 11:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Woodcarver

Hey, you're just right down the road too. Thankfully that problem doesn't seem like it's as bad here as it has been in other areas, hopefully it stays that way. Mostly need to watch for moonshiners, pot farmers, bears, elk and other wild animals.

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 11:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme
a reply to: esteay812

I love going to caves.
Of course I've been limited to caves with electric lights and a tour guide and a snack bar near the parking lot but still the formations are amazing, and the quality of the air, the sound are so alien compared to topside.

Trust me going into a non tourist cave is a whole other level. I had a friend that new of a cave system out in the mountains in the area. Many years ago we went in and explored. A stream ran through the whole cave there where huge rooms lots and lots of mud huge chambers and we came out in a sinkhole in a farmers field.

When you turn off your lights it is total darkness.

Went back to this cave many years latter and there in now a metal gate over it that only the caving club has access to.

These days I just go urbex draining with a friend of mine. Thankfully Im not claustrophobic but I do have a major fear of heights.

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 12:06 PM
link   
a reply to: SolAquarius

I have a real, probably unhealthy, fear of heights. The thing that scares me about a lot of the caves I see people exploring is that they have to wedge themselves between huge rock walls. I guess my fear is that the wall could shift or something, that wouldn't be fun!

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Heights are the opposite end of the spectrum for me when it comes to URBEX I feel safe and comfortable under ground for some reason but just watching a video like this provokes anxiety in me.
I would freeze up and panic under these circumstances in the video.

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 12:22 PM
link   

I'd never even have to worry about how I'd react on top of buildings like that, I'd never make more than 30' off the ground,

I've watch some of those videos with guys climbing all sorts of things, they must be a little insane!

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Way back in the day the people I was friends with in Richmond who would go city urbexing.

I went up on the top of this building with one group by going up the fire escape of the building. There was this part where the ladder to the roof angled out over the alley six stories bellow. I went up it because I was with a group and wanted to look cool but I don't think I would ever do something like that again.

One of the guys in the group must have lacked the fear of heights gene because I remember hanging out with him over at a friends apartment. Her apartment was on the 18 floor of a building and it had a balcony. I was hanging out with this guy out on the balcony and out of nowhere he climbs over it and hangs on the outside just watching him sent me in to a panic meanwhile he was cool as a cucumber.

I really think that there must be a fear of heights gene and some people just lack it.

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Haha, I think we call it something different than a fear of heights gene around here, but I know what you mean. If there is a fear of heights gene, I got a double dose of it. I really get crippled when I get too far from the ground.

Have you ever seen that guy MustangWanted? He does some really stupid stuff, makes my palms sweat when I watch it.

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 12:51 PM
link   

I was deep in a cave where they turned off the lights. Total dark is only an idea for many. You can't even pick out a shape in that dark.

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 12:55 PM
link   

I went to one on the island of Puerto Rico. It was a night club and restaurant.

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 12:56 PM
link   
OMGosh...sorry off topic. I just wanted you to know I looked him up. OMG!!!! My hands are sweating and I am sitting at my desk! Ewwww, that makes me queasy.

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 12:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

I had never really thought about it before. I think the closest thing I've seen to a cave used like this was in a Zac Brown Band video. It must be a unique experience, I wish I had thought of it. . . and had a big cave!

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 01:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Martin75

, he has to be a little crazy to do that stuff. I couldn't do it with 100 safety harnesses strapping me down.

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 03:25 PM
link   

I always enjoy your videos and stories about the region. I hope that you have plans for posting some more great travel tales and legends for Summer vacations.

Thanks for your efforts.

P.S. - The little dragon guy was cute.

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 03:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Missmissie173

Oh yeah, I have some ideas. There is so much to do here that it's not hard to figure something out. I'd like to do a "Missing in the Mountains" video that details some of the mysterious cases of people vanishing into thin air. My next video may be more to do with the Appalachian Mountain settlers and how they lived. Either way, it's a lot of fun making them and coming here to talk about them.

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 04:34 PM
link   
a reply to: TNMockingbird

You've got the longest cave system in the world just north of ya. Walked one of the easier guided tours there and had a very good experience.

In my younger years I enjoyed exploring caves while submerged.

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 04:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Snarl

Hi Snarl.

I was just talking about how my worst fear is probably underwater spelunking or cave diving. Maybe my fear is irrational because I know nothing about the equipment or methods used. I've seen some really awesome photos and videos from underwater trips though. I suppose it is relatively safe if done with the right safety measures and precautions.

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Good thread,lots of caves around here in East Tn.Indian caves,near Rutledge, is worth checking out.Many big caves are on private property,but some landowners will give permission to explore if asked

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 07:11 PM
link   
a reply to: ridgerunner

Thanks for the heads up. I'll definitely check out Indian Caves. I used to date a girl from Blaine years ago and have done some work out toward Bean Station, so it would be pretty neat to see a little more of the area.

I never realize how many caves were in TN, they say something like 8,300+! I'd say a lot of them are inaccessible or just too dangerous to enter.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join