It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Another college, another speaker, another cry for censorship

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2017 @ 08:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: Deaf Alien
And I take the OP's intention into account. Still this isn't a First Amendment issue.

When an elected government official is looking to stifle your speech I disagree. Hikind should keep out of it.

Yes and I am concerned here. Its starts in these sort of venues. Then moves to correct news on the nightly. Whatever take it where you will but it spreads.

Target is independent venues.

link   
I'd be pretty pissed if a school chose my graduation to shove pro sharia propaganda down my throat. Specifically cause I'm sure there's no Q&A where you can question the lunatic, but It's a CUNY school so they're probably used to it. I just wouldn't bother showing up to the ceremony. I'm not a whiney liberal so I say let her spew whatever garbage she wants. She can discredit herself

link   

a reply to: FissionSurplus

At least we agree.
Just because you have the right to speak doesn't mean you can do it anywhere at any time. Don't like ATS censorship? Go elsewhere.

I will remain on here, much as I have been since September 11, 2011, and I will continue to be a gadfly on the backside of posters such as yourself, who argue simply because that is the only joy they have left in life.

In fact, as you are stalking the OP and his posts, I may just go back and read all the many gems you have littered this site with.

Go elsewhere indeed. Wish in one hand, and um, do your business in the other, and see which fills up first.

FREEDOM OF SPEECH!! Learn it, live it, LOVE IT.

posted on May, 1 2017 @ 08:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krakatoa

originally posted by: DBCowboy
a reply to: Krakatoa

It is a school-sponsored speaking engagement.

And students who wish to attend their graduation ceremony will attend. Speaking from personal experience, I never attended any of mine.

Fair enough. But, you must understand there is a difference between a commencement speech and a hired speaking engagement for a college club.

The medium may be different, but the freedom to express ones self should always remain constant.

posted on May, 1 2017 @ 08:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Logarock
a reply to: DBCowboy

Well sh*t man, don't think they let the Nazis or klan speak there. Strange though they let communists run their pie holes. God how many folks did the communists kill last century?

At least 66 million, give or take a million.

posted on May, 1 2017 @ 08:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

a reply to: ketsuko

It's a cognitive dissonance. Conservatives are against Sharia law and yet they bitch about them not giving her a voice.

I may not want Shari'a imposed on me and mine, but that doesn't mean I have to shut down all speach and ideas related to it.

Lee: I like to let people talk who like to talk. It lets me find out how full of # they are.
Carter: What the hell did you just say?
Rush Hour

How else are we supposed to learn how full of crap ideas are if we never hear about them because we are protected from them?

What do you think of Abe Lincoln shutting down Sothern sympathizer press in the North?

posted on May, 1 2017 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Vodka has fiber.

You're right, I forgot about the olives.

posted on May, 1 2017 @ 08:28 PM
link   
a reply to: FissionSurplus

LOL stalking.
Uh I guess you miss the part where I support all forms of free speech.
But that was a good post. Thanks for the laugh.

posted on May, 1 2017 @ 08:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krakatoa

a reply to: Krakatoa

It is a school-sponsored speaking engagement.

And students who wish to attend their graduation ceremony will attend. Speaking from personal experience, I never attended any of mine.

Fair enough. But, you must understand there is a difference between a commencement speech and a hired speaking engagement for a college club.

The medium may be different, but the freedom to express ones self should always remain constant.

There is technically NO right of expression protected by the constitution. There is a right to redress the G-Boys and speak from press and pulpit. A right to assemble and say what you will. But if expression means interfering with above, its not happening. The public has the right to assemble and censure at assembly.

posted on May, 1 2017 @ 08:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Deaf Alien

Just realized something. I've already realized many times in the past but I keep forgetting but anyway...
People take what other people say or their posts the wrong way.
People have the right to free speech but that does not mean that they say anything anywhere at any time espeically here on ATS.

posted on May, 1 2017 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Honestly I think you just enjoy debating for the hell of it. About 300+ post and 4 threads later, your tone hasn't changed at all. You're persistent I'll give you that.

posted on May, 1 2017 @ 08:34 PM
link   
a reply to: knowledgehunter0986

You accused me of stalking someone.
And you tell me I'm persistent?

posted on May, 1 2017 @ 08:35 PM
link   

You accused me of stalking someone.
And you tell me I'm persistent?

Stalkers are persistent.

They're not mutually exclusive.

posted on May, 1 2017 @ 08:36 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

You and I are persistent. What does that make us?

posted on May, 1 2017 @ 08:38 PM
link   

a reply to: neo96

You and I are persistent. What does that make us?

Moi ?

One the right side of history

posted on May, 1 2017 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Deaf Alien

See this is the problem with debating against 20 people across 10 threads. It's very easy to lose context. Honestly I don't know how you do it.

By the way, it wasn't me that called you a stalker, and its also not the first time you've wrongfully accused me.
edit on 1-5-2017 by knowledgehunter0986 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2017 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Some people have the ability to do many things at once. Some people have the ability to notice many things at once.
edit on 5/1/2017 by Deaf Alien because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2017 @ 08:49 PM
link   

But I didn't call you a stalker and you're all over the place in this thread. I think you need to take a break.

posted on May, 1 2017 @ 08:54 PM
link   

How am I all over this place? I simply pointed out that the OP has been doing this all the time here.
edit on 5/1/2017 by Deaf Alien because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2017 @ 08:57 PM
link   
I think there's a difference between a commencement address and a speech purely based on ideology. It's a time to celebrate not a time to preach.

The Assemblymen against this speaker isn't stifling free speech because he's a Democrat, it's because he's this guy:

Dov Hikind
Dov Hikind (born June 30, 1950) is an American politician in the state of New York. He is a Democratic New York State Assemblyman. Hikind represents Brooklyn's Assembly district 48. He has held this position since 1983 and has been very vocal about racial profiling, terrorism, and antisemitism in his district, which includes Borough Park, home to one of the largest Orthodox Jewish communities outside of Israel. Hikind hosted a weekly talk radio show every Saturday night at 11:00 on WMCA-AM 570, discussing various local, national, and international concerns. His last broadcast on WMCA was in the summer of 2013. The Dov Hikind Show now airs on Wednesday evenings at 7:00 pm EST on 620 AM, WSNR.[1]

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join