It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Another college, another speaker, another cry for censorship

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2017 @ 08:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deaf Alien
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Just read his threads. But anyway nobody is against her right to free speech. Oh and the First Amendment only protect you from the government.

But there are laws against being a public nuisance, and harassment.

Which is what it amounts to.

link   
a reply to: FissionSurplus

What are you talking about? He has been making many threads on this lately.

link   

a reply to: ketsuko

It's a cognitive dissonance. Conservatives are against Sharia law and yet they bitch about them not giving her a voice.

I may not want Shari'a imposed on me and mine, but that doesn't mean I have to shut down all speach and ideas related to it.

Lee: I like to let people talk who like to talk. It lets me find out how full of # they are.
Carter: What the hell did you just say?
Rush Hour

How else are we supposed to learn how full of crap ideas are if we never hear about them because we are protected from them?

posted on May, 1 2017 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Barring any health issues... lol.

link   

I want to join you guys for drinks.
Should be fun.

link   

a reply to: knowledgehunter0986

*facepalm*
I was talking about the OP. His tendency to paint the liberals with a broad brush. His many threads show you that. The OP is the one who is looking through partisan lenses.

No offense, but I think you're facepalming your face a bit too hard it might be effecting your brain.

Clearly there is some disconnect coming from you and everything you've been posting in this thread so far proves it.

posted on May, 1 2017 @ 08:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Krakatoa

It is a school-sponsored speaking engagement.

And students who wish to attend their graduation ceremony will attend. Speaking from personal experience, I never attended any of mine.

link   

I gave you a star.

But really does the First Amendment give you the right to speak anywhere at any time?

link   

Just read his threads.

I do, I read all of them.

But anyway nobody is against her right to free speech. Oh and the First Amendment only protect you from the government.

Seems the person in question who does not want her speaking works for the government. Did you even read the link in the Original Post.

posted on May, 1 2017 @ 08:09 PM
link   
a reply to: knowledgehunter0986

It's ok. It's probably a miscommunication somewhere.

posted on May, 1 2017 @ 08:09 PM
link   

The First Amendment protects you from the government, not from each other.

I'm so glad you brought that up, because what I really want to say to you, I can't, because it's not my site. As a freedom loving people, Americans generally let others say what they like, with a few exceptions. When in ATS's house, you gotta follow ATS's rules....more's the pity.

CENSORSHIP, on the other hand, is a very pertinent problem and the ability to allow others to have their say is vital to a free society. When people begin to censor each other, we know we are at the end.

As they say, to find out who is in charge, find out whom you are not allowed to criticize.

posted on May, 1 2017 @ 08:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74
Barring any health issues... lol.

You'll be fine, momma, I believe that.

posted on May, 1 2017 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Yes I have read it. And I take the OP's intention into account. Still this isn't a First Amendment issue.

posted on May, 1 2017 @ 08:13 PM
link   

At least we agree.
Just because you have the right to speak doesn't mean you can do it anywhere at any time. Don't like ATS censorship? Go elsewhere.

posted on May, 1 2017 @ 08:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
Much to the consternation of some, I will try to chronicle every instance of suppression of free speech where ever it may be found.

Poor you, I think they have over the counter stuff for consternation but you can always try more vegetables in your diet.

posted on May, 1 2017 @ 08:14 PM
link   

And I take the OP's intention into account. Still this isn't a First Amendment issue.

When an elected government official is looking to stifle your speech I disagree. Hikind should keep out of it.

posted on May, 1 2017 @ 08:16 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Well sh*t man, don't think they let the Nazis or klan speak there. Strange though they let communists run their pie holes. God how many folks did the communists kill last century?

edit on 1-5-2017 by Logarock because: n

link   

a reply to: Krakatoa

It is a school-sponsored speaking engagement.

And students who wish to attend their graduation ceremony will attend. Speaking from personal experience, I never attended any of mine.

Fair enough. But, you must understand there is a difference between a commencement speech and a hired speaking engagement for a college club.

link   

I gave you a star.

But really does the First Amendment give you the right to speak anywhere at any time?

If someone is invited to a university to speak, I should think so.

posted on May, 1 2017 @ 08:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Much to the consternation of some, I will try to chronicle every instance of suppression of free speech where ever it may be found.

Poor you, I think they have over the counter stuff for consternation but you can always try more vegetables in your diet.

Vodka has fiber.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join